Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Trek 730 Multi-Track - Too Small or Just Fine

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 04:00 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts

THE SHORT

- I want to know if my 1997 Trek 730 fits me or is too small. The bike is 19" at the seat post. 21" and 23" models were manufactured. I'm 6'-1.5" with a 32" inseam and monkey arms.

THE LONG

- I found this bike chained to a tree in 2001 and bought it for $150. Back then, all I knew about bikes was that I like riding them. She's been a trusty steed ever since although I do have a couple of nice road bikes in the stable too.

- Last summer, I made bike building & repair my Covid diversion. I learned a ton, including a bit about bicycle fit. As a demonstration project of sorts, I tore the Trek down the the frame, made a few upgrades, and rebuilt everything that could be rebuilt. As a result, the Trek and I are even more pair bonded than we were before the rebuild. She rides like a dream. It turns out that cleaning and lubricating things really does help... who knew. I'm ashamed to admit it now but, before last summer, I'd never so much as oiled the chain.

- I've had several people comment that the bike looks too small for me, particularly comparted to my other bikes that are set up to fit me. "That's a a lot of seat post, isn't it?", "Doesn't your head tube look short for a guy your size?". When I compare my Trek to my other bikes, as shown in the photo below, the spatial relationship between seat and handlebars is about the same. About an inch or two vertical drop. So there's that. On the other hand, I've always thought this to be the kind of bike that would have me riding more upright so, maybe, this seat / bar relationship does indicate poor fit for this king of bike? Then again, maybe my long arms make this a more upright fit for me than would otherwise be the case? So many variables...

- I found a catalog photo of one of these bikes, shown below. I don't think that this is actually a Trek catalog but, looking at the setup in the photo, it's basically exactly like my bike isis set up. So now I have to wonder: is my set up actually okay or was this photo just put together by some marketing guy who didn't know how the bike was meant to be set up for staging? When I see these bikes in owner photos online, there often is less seat post showing and, often, the bars are up higher. EDIT: I note that there is a Trek backpack in the phot. Perhaps that increases the likelihood that this was a Trek catalog.

- I realize that there's an element of this that's as simple as "if it feels good to ride, it fits". It does feel good to ride although I rarely do ride it for more than about 90 minutes. I admit that there absolutely is an element of fashion in my concern here. Now that I know a lot more about bike fit, I find that I feel a bit silly cruising around on a bike that (maybe) is much too small for me. I'm way too much of a bad ass to feel silly on my bike. Although, I'm clearly not enough of a badass to ignore other peoples opinions and stop overthinking this.

What do you all think?

Last edited by Harold74; 01-29-21 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-29-21, 04:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
If it's comfortable for the type riding you do with it and the length and intensity of those rides, then all is well. Though I too will think it's too small, but what do I know, I'm not you.

However if later you change up the length or intensity of your rides or just simply start having a pain that might be from the way it fits, then we might have something to discuss.

Also, if you find that others doing the same type riding are embarrassing you by being faster or better, then maybe we could say a different size frame might let you put out more power.

But don't pay too much attention to those that say it's too small. I look at some of the pro's on the grand tour's and some look like they are riding ridiculously small frames compared to their size. Others sometimes way big.

IMO, fit doesn't have one formula that fits all. However various formulas can provide decent starting points and you ride a few hundred miles then adjust and ride again for a few hundred mile, rinse and repeat till you got it correct for you.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-29-21 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-29-21, 05:39 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
If she feels good under you, what do you care what others think. Ride it!
Old 01-29-21, 07:48 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts
I've owned about a ten of these Trek Multitracks. Love the smooth ride. Imo, the tig welded versions ride much nicer than the earlier partially lugged models. Nice commuters or easy touring. (tours with the wife where I have to go slow anyhow). I run a bike coop that gets a dozen in each year. We sell them for $200 to $300 tuned up. A little more for the higher grade models. I'd guess that 90% of them that Trek made/sold were the medium sizes. The largest and womens frames are pretty uncommon. The all cro-mo 730 & 750 are well worth upgrading. I usually toss the grip shifters and install Shimano 3x7 rapid fire (M310 or MC40). I've changed the brakes to linear on some. Any that had Altus brakes are shot anyhow. I've seen a couple converted to drop bars. One recent customer bought one to convert to a "gravel bike". I guess they are not that much different from the classic Trek 520 touring bike.

Old 01-29-21, 09:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Can't tell anything other than the above without photos of you on bike: One with cranks horizontal one with them vertical. If you're new you can't post photos but you can link to another site. - I see you have 13 posts. Should be good to post photos.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 01-29-21 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 05:30 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
If you were buying a brand new bike from a store and you had a choice of that frame size or a larger frame size then sure, I would put you on a larger frame.
However,
The bike is bought, and you have fitted a long seat post and a long/tall stem to make the fit work, so just ride the bike, it fits just fine like that. The situation your in is actually far better in my book than the inverse position of many/most people being fitted to bikes that are FAR to big for them, and they get away with it simply because of modern "compact" frame design (sloping top tubes) which allows people to ride bikes with ridiculously low saddle heights.

EDIT: for some people the saddle to handlebar drop on your bike is too large for them and they would definitely remedy this by using a larger frame but as long as you are happy with the drop to the handlebars then no harm, no foul.
Likes For AnthonyG: