Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

High School Road racing programs? Why aren't there any?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

High School Road racing programs? Why aren't there any?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 01:07 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
ISide note: There's a US High School Bowling National Championship. The "Bowling Industry" provides 6,000,000 dollars annually in scholarships to High School Bowlers.
You got me thinking. Maybe that's the key. I assume the "industry" gives these scholarships because it fosters a love for the sport, and enough people will grow up doing it regularly enough that the industry as a whole makes than investment back and then some. If bicycle shops and manufacturers did the same, maybe more people will grow up with a love for cycling.
Old 05-25-21, 01:08 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
But none of that is a concern for the High School team; it is a concern for whoever is putting on the races.
Of course it's a concern of the school - every sport is 90%+ practice, then competition. The school could be liable for injuries occurring during practices. Mountain biking is one thing, but can you imagine road cycling - team practices for high school kids (who are not noted for good judgement) on roads open to traffic?
Old 05-25-21, 01:09 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
{snip}

That is crazy, and every year! I can't imagine a cycling team. Couple grand just for the bike to get started in a sport that is not as accepted compared to football programs.
{snip}
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think the main reason why there are no high school races is because of lack of interest in cycling....Majority of high school students have no interest in owning a bicycle and using that bicycle, either for sport or recreation or commuting....Here in North America bicycles are still being viewed as toys and riding a bicycle is considered children's activity.
Yeah, my one-word answer was going to be "culture." In this place surrounded by generally like-minded people, we forget how much cyclists really aren't accepted in this country. Heck, I grew up in city with a velodrome in it. It was a curiosity more than anything. (Our urban legend is that it was one of only two left in the 60s.)
Old 05-25-21, 01:13 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of kids under 18 would think road cycling is lame (if they thought about it all).

We're a small minority of an even smaller minority (regular cyclists). There's just no interest there.

But take heart....you are still allowed to absolutely LOVE-LOVE-LOVE something that the majority of people around you, while not actively disliking it, might view it as nothing more than a lame hobby at best. It's OK to enjoy something and not try to get everyone else involved in it. We don't need individualized Mormon missions to knock on doors with our Steel Lemonds trying to convert the blind.

A Survey in the UK found that 47% of kids aged 11-17 said parental worries prevented them from cycling/cycling more. You'd have a better chance at a High School Gravel team. As others have mentioned MTB Teams abound. We have a well attended High School league in my area (my club "sponsored" ten kids for the year...and we're a road cycling club).

Ain't gonna happen.

Side note: There's a US High School Bowling National Championship. The "Bowling Industry" provides 6,000,000 dollars annually in scholarships to High School Bowlers.

https://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....ool_Guide1.pdf
USHSBF - ABOUT US page for the United States High School Bowling Foundation (U.S. High School Bowling Foundation)

So...Bowling yes. Road Cycling...nope.

Face it. Our hobby is pretty lame for the most part. I know I love it...but the VAST majority of people think what we do is alien at best and contemptible at worst.

"Get Off The Road Lance!"
Dang, I skipped ahead to comment, and now I see it'd been said already ... But, yeah, culture.

And now that I'm thinking about it, most high schoolers that ride bikes, I think, as a lifestyle do it on fixies or single-speeds. There isn't a racing bike culture here. Heck, we don't even have the Amgen Tour of California anymore.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 05-25-21, 01:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Dang, I skipped ahead to comment, and now I see it'd been said already ... But, yeah, culture.

And now that I'm thinking about it, most high schoolers that ride bikes, I think, as a lifestyle do it on fixies or single-speeds. There isn't a racing bike culture here. Heck, we don't even have the Amgen Tour of California anymore.
Some of the high schools in my area have MTB teams that seem to be growing in numbers every year. A few of them also race on the road, but (generally speaking) those are kids where cycling is a big thing in their family. In my observation, it's a sport that is growing fairly well.
Old 05-25-21, 01:34 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Oh, and BTW, there are fewer than 25 Division I or II varsity college cycling programs in the US.
I did a quick search on this. It's even worse than that. Cycling isn't an official NCAA sport. There are 20 schools with varsity cycling programs. Zero are Division I and 6 are Division II.
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-25-21, 01:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I did a quick search on this. It's even worse than that. Cycling isn't an official NCAA sport. There are 20 schools with varsity cycling programs. Zero are Division I and 6 are Division II.

Yeah, I saw the less than 25 figure in an article, and then later came on the figures you just cited. Thanks for the correction!
Old 05-25-21, 02:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Liability is also a big factor. You'd be racing on public streets (?) so the local city/county would want liability insurance to protect themselves, they'd want the security I listed above (road closures and police/security pay). Once again, check with your local city/county offices and see what the price is, and you'll probably find its astoundingly high, which makes it a no-go.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
But none of that is a concern for the High School team; it is a concern for whoever is putting on the races.
Originally Posted by noimagination
Of course it's a concern of the school - every sport is 90%+ practice, then competition. The school could be liable for injuries occurring during practices. Mountain biking is one thing, but can you imagine road cycling - team practices for high school kids (who are not noted for good judgement) on roads open to traffic?
Not relevant to my comment.
Old 05-25-21, 04:07 PM
Chinghis

Originally Posted by Eric F
Some of the high schools in my area have MTB teams that seem to be growing in numbers every year. A few of them also race on the road, but (generally speaking) those are kids where cycling is a big thing in their family. In my observation, it's a sport that is growing fairly well.
Yeah, I've seen some of those Southern California MTB teams around. Mountain biking doesn't seem to have the bad rap that road cycling does. Probably the clothes. My son (16) will not wear cycling shorts. I know he will, some day, and will see why he should, but probably not in high school.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 05-25-21, 04:38 PM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
There are a lot of valuable lessons learned in playing team sports. Also, I've seen more than a few kids whose love of their sport, and the minimum GPA requirement to play, has given them the motivation to succeed academically.
If team sports provide valuable lessons then they should be mandatory and intramural. There you go.

That a few kids do better because of school sports doesn't convince they're worthwhile.
Old 05-25-21, 06:06 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I meant to say that government education has lost its way several times over the last 60 years, and now has little hope of ever finding it's way back to reality.
Thee local public school system where I worked had several dorky after school groups including a Squirrel Watching Club. I figured the only requirement to joining was that one needed to be a geeky dweeb.
Old 05-25-21, 06:22 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
If team sports provide valuable lessons then they should be mandatory and intramural. There you go.

That a few kids do better because of school sports doesn't convince they're worthwhile.
And they should all get first place trophies and MVP awards, too.
Old 05-25-21, 06:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts

There's more than one way to skin a cat. The big trend in education right now is differentiated instruction, because one size does not fit all. Team sports will provide many of the same valuable lessons that band or theater do, or academic debate, or model UN. Not to mention that any of these programs are better than leaving the kids with idle hands.
Old 05-25-21, 07:34 PM
J Palmer Cass

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
And they should all get first place trophies and MVP awards, too.
You think so, eh?
Old 05-25-21, 08:01 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You think so, eh?
Absolutely. We can't let anyone get hurt feelings. Nobody wins, so we all win.
Old 05-25-21, 11:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Absolutely. We can't let anyone get hurt feelings. Nobody wins, so we all win.
Yup, until they get into the real world.

Old 05-26-21, 12:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts

That's just as ridiculous as your previous suggestion of no sports. "One-size-fits-all" is rarely a good answer for humans.
Old 05-26-21, 01:21 AM
J Palmer Cass

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
That's just as ridiculous as your previous suggestion of no sports. "One-size-fits-all" is rarely a good answer for humans.
Come on, you're the guy claiming sports give valuable lessons, the purpose of schooling is valuable lessons. Let's have valuable lessons for all.

I think the purpose of organized sports for young people is to feed the needs of the adults who run them. Then to rationalize it we get all the ******** about life lessons and teamwork and such.
Old 05-26-21, 02:53 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The kids wouldn't want to wear lycra. That's always been an odd analogy to me. People always laugh at cyclists for wearing tight shorts but it's acceptable for football players wearing skin tight pants, wrestling, track and field, swimming. ect. It's just cycling shorts that people talk smack about.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-26-21, 04:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't think it's weird that there aren't high school road cycling teams. I do think it's very weird that a violent sport like football is a high school sport. We're just so used to it, we don't see the anomaly.

So we'll continue to pretend football helmets actually protect brains much.
Old 05-26-21, 06:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Frankly, it does not surprise me in the least that kids would be more interested in MTB racing than road racing.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-26-21, 06:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Doesn't seem much has changed in a year and a half. Wonder why this got stirred up again?
Old 05-26-21, 06:57 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Most of the current younger USA pros I know starting racing MTB in high school.. Joe Dombroski in Virginia (although not school sponsored events), Sepp Kuss and Quinn Simmons from Durango in the CO HS racing league.

There is a combined HS MTB team here in Central PA that races in a fledgling league. Not school affiliated, but it's a start. K
Old 05-26-21, 07:11 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
not a lot of kids are cycling anywhere anytime. It's not a part of U.S. culture for the most part

if there was a demand for this it would happen, just like lacrosse is happening and high school bass fishing is happening

cycling is a niche sport. We all just happen to be in the niche. It's like asking on a bowling website, why don't we have high school bowling (which by the way would be safer than high school road cycling)

part of high school sports is supervised practice by people that know what they are doing (coaches!). How are you going to practice road cycling in a safe manner? Do schools have people that are qualified to lead a cycling team?

everything cannot be a sport offered by the high school
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 05-26-21, 09:03 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It is funny when someone suggests buying a good bike for less than $1000 and gets jumped on because the minimum is upwards of $2000.

Then there is a thread about why competitive cycling is not a high school sport.

Cycling as a competitive sport is a rich person’s sport. It is too much expensive equipment based. Few parents will want to incur those costs, “maybe” those parents who ride. And those without the means will not embrace it, regardless of how much potential ability exists. It will never happen except in certain places where it is a part of local culture.

Even high school golf, which is also for those with means, costs less to outfit a high school golfer with decent clubs.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.