Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

music playing device with physical buttons

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 06:48 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts

Anyone using a music player with physical buttons that you does not require you looking at to skip to the next song ? ( no touch screen with multi menus etc.. )

I am currently using my iphone with quadlock. It works great as long as I just hit play. A lot of times I want to skip a song. On the phone I can hit the physical side button without looking at it to wake up the phone and show the music player but I still have to look down for sec or two and find the skip button and then of course touch screen is never 100% so sometimes I am looking up at the road, then down at the phone skip button several times.

I was thinking of getting a garmin watch ( assuming skip a song is a physical button ) or something similar.
Old 03-07-22, 07:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Unfortunately my comment could cause this to become an off topic debate about the safety of using ear buds while riding, but here goes.

I use bluetooth ear buds, several different brands over the years. They're not "wireless", but the kind in which the buds are connected by a cord with a part in the cord that is the battery with USB connection, mic and volume/track controller. I always orient the buds so that part is consistently on my left side so I don't have to grope around for it. I can control the volume and go forward or backwards in the playlist with one hand, keeping my right hand on the bar and brake, and without taking my eyes off the road. I keep my phone in my jersey or jacket pocket and never have to look at unless I stop to take a picture. I've only used a handlebar mount for my phone for a short time and found looking at the phone for navigation or music control was way too distracting for me personally.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-07-22 at 07:09 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-07-22, 07:16 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
@Camilo I have been listening to spoken word podcasts in one ear while commuting for 10 years now without issue, and like you I use corded earbuds so I don't loose them, and because they don't need recharging. Also the cord lets be tuck the microphone near my chin strap for better sound when making/answering calls, sending myself reminders, asking google stuff, etc. The podcast player lets me skip ahead or back up just by tapping the mic button in certain ways, like double tap, short and long presses, etc.

I don't feel comfortable using booth ear buds, and even with just one, music seems to mess with my spatial awareness. I think it has to do with the narrow sound and cognitive spectrum of spoken words versus the wider abstract nature of music.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-07-22, 07:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Etsy has a bunch of makers who have taken old iPods and added new HDs to give you more space on it and it has buttons, that would be my choice.

I honestly just let my phone shuffle the songs and on occasion I get a song I don't want at the moment but I suck it up and deal with it for a bit or I pull over as needed. I try not to have a bunch of music I don't like on my phone but on occasion you do get the song that you just don't want or just isn't right for the moment.

Plenty of great bluetooth speakers Camilo however there is a new generation of buds that help enhance the outside sounds so you can hear ambient noise. I know Sony has some and I am sure there are others.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-07-22, 08:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't listen to music when riding my bike...Listening to music while riding is annoying, distracting and takes away from situational awareness.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-07-22, 08:39 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
I rarely ride without my BT buds, and all of mine are controllable by a simple touch on the bud in my right ear. Everything from flipping songs to volume to mute. I also rarely ride without my helmet mounted mirror so I can see what's going on around me. Another cyclest asked me one time how I can hear the traffic, My answer, who wants to?
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 03-07-22, 09:04 PM
sean.hwy

air pod pro

maybe I will look into these. They allow noise in the background to come in and you can skip a song.

I thought people where going to recommend watches or some other devices with buttons. I guess headphones are good enough for that kind of stuff.

TBH I have not found hearing to help me on the road unless it's a screaming sport bike or harely. Those bikes I can hear for several minutes before they reach me. A normal newish car with factory muffler I can't hear them until after they pass me.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 03-07-22, 09:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
I use wireless Bluetooth rechargeable ear buds. No cords. I only ride with the right one, so I can hear traffic and my Varia warning tones. You can skip songs, power on and off, adjust volume with a mere touch to your ear. Don’t have to take eyes off the road to push buttons, and don’t get head phones since they are illegal in many states while operating a moving vehicle (include bicycle)

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-07-22, 10:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I ride with Aftershokz headset, outside ear, and there is a small button on the side that allows you to advanced to the next song. answer a call that comes in, etc. bluetooth, good range, 8 hr life. They are very clear when on the phone and clear on the talking side, so the other party can hear you cleanly.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-07-22, 10:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
- don't make people around you listen to your music.
- wear ear buds that are touch sensitive so you can adjust volume, skip songs, and pause. Ear buds do not make you not hear outdoor noise. Mine allow me to play music and still hear traffic and people talking.

Again, don't make everyone listen to your music. Bluetooth speakers on bikes are the worst.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-07-22, 11:20 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
+1 for the BT ear buds. Unless you're out all by yourself, playing music over your phone's speakers is pretty gauche. If you insist on getting an external speaker, you might just go all the way and ride beach cruiser with a basket and a 'tiki' cupholder.

I like BT over wireless, because you can either have your phone in your pocket, or on the bars (if it's doing Strava / Nav duty) I don't like having wires dangling between me and the bike.
You can either pick from 'true wireless' where the buds are separate, or 'wired' BT, where the earpieces are connected together. The wired style usually has a 'pod' like plug-in earphones, that has the play/pause +/- on an actual button, but the 'buds' generally have touch-sensitive function built in; either a single, double-tap, or a 2-sec press-and-hold covers pretty much any of the functions you need on the move.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-07-22, 11:30 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Would have thought an iPhone would have a shortcut for fast forward like my dumb old Android with PowerAmp. I have maybe half my mp3s on microSD, some 400 albums.
They do; If you're playing music, the 'mini-player' comes up when the screen wakes up, before it even goes to the unlock screen; it's just that the haptics don't work there, so if you miss, or slide across the screen (like what happens running or riding) it tries to do other stuff, like open the camera or your utility shortcuts. I prefer the buttons on my earpiece, because they're always in the same place, and they only do one thing.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-07-22, 11:40 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't listen to music when riding my bike...Listening to music while riding is annoying, distracting and takes away from situational awareness.
I very rarely see anyone listening to music while riding and i see few cyclists each way of my daily commute. Except for one 5 years ago maybe when this guy had his speakers on his rear rack!!! True story and so wierd to me,
Old 03-08-22, 01:33 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Would have thought an iPhone would have a shortcut for fast forward like my dumb old Android with PowerAmp. I have maybe half my mp3s on microSD, some 400 albums.
The phones screen will go blank while riding.
I hit the physical button without having to unlock the phone which brings up this screen.
I have to then try and hit the skip button while riding my bike, avoiding cars/things on the road etc..
It works great when I am hiking, not so much at 20+ mph.
Old 03-08-22, 05:39 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
The phones screen will go blank while riding.
I hit the physical button without having to unlock the phone which brings up this screen.
I have to then try and hit the skip button while riding my bike, avoiding cars/things on the road etc..
It works great when I am hiking, not so much at 20+ mph.
ZZ Top is inherently dangerous while riding, so you've got a double whammy there. Yo Yo Ma will keep you tranquil and safe.
Old 03-08-22, 06:31 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 03-09-22, 07:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I've still got an original 2002 iPod with physical buttons and scroll wheel. Like this:-

Just what you need lol.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-09-22, 07:50 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 252 Posts
Check out the After Shokz head phones. They don't go in the ear, they sit just in front of your ear. Sound quality is good but best of all you can hear traffic, people talking and can skip songs or pause play just by pressing the button on the head phones. I've been using these for about 4 years now with my iPhone and they work great! If you have an iWatch they work with those also.

They sell Bluetooth and wired versions and are very water resistant.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 03-10-22, 01:06 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
I have been using a Scandisc Clip Jam for years now. Use it at work (when I worked) and my workouts. I've had four of them over the last sever or eight years. Holds more songs than I have in my library and has physical buttons, a plus for me because I hate touch screens with a passion. Plus, it only costs about $30 on Amazon, so if I wreck it, I'm not out a paycheck to buy a new one.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-10-22, 02:31 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Here is an excerpt from my CGOAB journal concerning my choice of earbuds. They have a hand control that allows to pause, adjust volume, skip songs forward and activate Siri. And of course I can tell Siri what exact song I want played, so really no need to skip to the song if you know what you want to hear.

"Several months before the race, I conducted my own tests on a variety of high quality earbuds.
Frustrated with previous purchases, where you get an item home and it's not what you thought it was, I went to Walmart and Target and bought several different brands of earbuds. Price tags ranged from $60 to well over $200. (I was assured at both places I could return unwanted items). I rated them on sound, comfort and how securely they fit in the ear. The winner, hands down, were the Powerbeats 3 wireless. And as the race wore on, it was evident that I had made an excellent purchase. Went through multiple rains and abuse. Was advised beforehand to avoid spending $$ on expensive earbuds. But I love good sound and wanted an earbud that would stay in my ears. I got that with the Powerbeats. But I also got a set that could take the elements and had a long battery life. I cannot recommend them enough. They have came out with a totally wireless version, as it doesn't have the wire connecting the two earphones. I don't think I would like that, just from the security standpoint. With my Powerbeats 3, if one bud slips off or out of my hand for some reason, it is still connected to the other. Just my take of course."

Power Beats 3
Powerbeats 3 wireless-A 5 star recommendation

Last edited by gif4445; 03-10-22 at 02:36 AM.
Likes For gif4445:
Old 03-10-22, 02:36 AM
sean.hwy

air pod pro

maybe I will look into these. They allow noise in the background to come in and you can skip a song.

I thought people where going to recommend watches or some other devices with buttons. I guess headphones are good enough for that kind of stuff.

TBH I have not found hearing to help me on the road unless it's a screaming sport bike or harely. Those bikes I can hear for several minutes before they reach me. A normal newish car with factory muffler I can't hear them until after they pass me.
I ended up purchasing the air pod pro. Noise cancellation works great. The transparency works great also.
I don't have hi fidelity tastes or hearing. They sound great to me. I can tell the difference between $20 head phone and $50 head phones. I can't tell much of difference in sound from $50 headphones to $400 headphones. Some of music lover friends have the crazy stereos and monitor headphones. Sounds almost the same to me as my iphone and airpod pros. lol

Has three modes you can listen. They all make a huge difference which one you chose.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 03-10-22, 02:42 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I ended up purchasing the air pod pro. Noise cancellation works great. The transparency works great also.
I don't have hi fidelity tastes or hearing. They sound great to me. I can tell the difference between $20 head phone and $50 head phones. I can't tell much of difference in sound from $50 headphones to $400 headphones. Some of music lover friends have the crazy stereos and monitor headphones. Sounds almost the same to me as my iphone and airpod pros. lol

Has three modes you can listen. They all make a huge difference which one you chose.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Good luck with your selection, I hope they work well for you! Personally, I tried the Airpods and didn't care for how they fit or stayed in the ear. My oldest son has a pair and loves them, so to each his/her own. The noise cancellation is a great addition though and would certainly be worth it.
Old 03-10-22, 02:55 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by gif4445
Good luck with your selection, I hope they work well for you! Personally, I tried the Airpods and didn't care for how they fit or stayed in the ear. My oldest son has a pair and loves them, so to each his/her own. The noise cancellation is a great addition though and would certainly be worth it.
If you fly on a plan it would be worth it. I tried them in my noisy rav4 ( lots repetitive noise ) on the freeway and it was night and day different.
On the gravel trails the transparency mode really made a difference. I could hear the trees and birds.

I can't say they are the most comfortable but at least they have not following out of my ears. pause, skip work great also. So I am happy with them.

I bought these when there where on sale about six months ago. These will have out my ears if I am riding gravel/mnt bike trails.
cheap wireless headphones from amazon
Old 03-10-22, 06:58 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I bet you say the same thing about walking and chewing gum…
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-14-22, 08:00 AM
speedyg0nz

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sony recently released a pair of wireless earbuds recently called LinkBuds that are strangely well suited for cycling. It has an open design (think donut-shaped drivers) that allows ambient sound to come through, and you tap the side of your head (larger surface area compared to touching the earbuds themselves) to skip tracks or change volume.

Last edited by speedyg0nz; 03-22-22 at 02:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.