Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22, 01:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
can one be mesmerized and appalled at the same time? i was worried about him hitting a pothole loose gravel, curb , wondering what kind of tires he was running and scared for the others in the video. no doubt hes a jerk. a talented jerk , but still a jerk. and i've no doubt if he continues he'll have a hell of a hospital bill one day, either his or someone else's

This moment, right here, where he comes within inches of two girls who are lawfully within the crosswalk, while he unlawfully runs a red light. One of the girls had to be snatched back out of the way. Each time he breaks the law by running a red light, rolling through the crosswalk against the light, he's gambling with other people's lives that he knows where they're going to be, that they won't stop, or speed up, or change direction in a fraction of a second. And if he miscalculates, he'll run someone down, someone who was following the law, taking their turn to cross the street, whereas he just doesn't want to wait like everyone else does.

Who TF is he that he thinks he gets to do this? Was he raised by wolves that he thinks this is okay?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-06-22, 01:12 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
"Who TF is he that he thinks he gets to do this?" ........... the people he works for have told him that the people who hired the messenger co. expect the dispatch to get there yesterday so the guy has to ride like heck or get fired and that my friends is the code of bike delivery so maybe the blame should be on all those lazy behinds that demand that the messenger deliver at lite speed.
Old 04-06-22, 01:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

This moment, right here, where he comes within inches of two girls who are lawfully within the crosswalk, while he unlawfully runs a red light. One of the girls had to be snatched back out of the way. Each time he breaks the law by running a red light, rolling through the crosswalk against the light, he's gambling with other people's lives that he knows where they're going to be, that they won't stop, or speed up, or change direction in a fraction of a second. And if he miscalculates, he'll run someone down, someone who was following the law, taking their turn to cross the street, whereas he just doesn't want to wait like everyone else does.

Who TF is he that he thinks he gets to do this? Was he raised by wolves that he thinks this is okay?
Endangering kids and old people is about as bad as cycling misdeeds get. That's a crime right there. Good catch on the screen grab.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/260.10
Old 04-06-22, 01:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by jack pot
"Who TF is he that he thinks he gets to do this?" ........... the people he works for have told him that the people who hired the messenger co. expect the dispatch to get there yesterday so the guy has to ride like heck or get fired and that my friends is the code of bike delivery so maybe the blame should be on all those lazy behinds that demand that the messenger deliver at lite speed.

Old 04-06-22, 01:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Old 04-06-22, 01:23 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
....so maybe the blame should be on all those lazy behinds that demand that the messenger deliver at lite speed.
The luddites that still rely on bike messengers? They will all die off soon enough.... The rest of the world moved to faxes and emails stating 40 years ago.
Old 04-06-22, 01:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
BS. He was just following orders?
We're just a half-step away from Godwinning this!

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-06-22, 01:29 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by livedarklions
BS. He was just following orders?
well i aint sayN the guy is riding right but >>>>>>>>>>Milgram’s research “In particular, acting under orders caused participants to perceive a distance from outcomes that they themselves caused,” said study co-author Patrick Haggard, a cognitive neuroscientist at University College London, in an email. In other words, people actually feel disconnected from their actions when they comply with orders, even though they’re the ones committing the act.

The study, published in the journal Current Biology, described this distance as people experiencing their actions more as “passive movements than fully voluntary actions” when they follow orders. .............................................blamelessness is now aspirational in ameriCa
Old 04-06-22, 01:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

well i aint sayN the guy is riding right but >>>>>>>>>>Milgram’s research “In particular, acting under orders caused participants to perceive a distance from outcomes that they themselves caused,” said study co-author Patrick Haggard, a cognitive neuroscientist at University College London, in an email. In other words, people actually feel disconnected from their actions when they comply with orders, even though they’re the ones committing the act.

The study, published in the journal Current Biology, described this distance as people experiencing their actions more as “passive movements than fully voluntary actions” when they follow orders. .............................................blamelessness is now aspirational in ameriCa
I think it's pushing a bit to apply Milgram here, though you could argue that there is a subculture that glorifies the lawlessness and dehumanizes those the riders put at risk - calling them "cagers" and "meat pylons". So maybe it's more like the Stanford Prison study? But in any case, the rider chose the job, and chooses to ride like this

Old 04-06-22, 01:39 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by WhyFi

Jawohl

Old 04-06-22, 01:42 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
…so maybe the blame should be on all those lazy behinds that demand that the messenger deliver at lite speed.
Wrong. The “I was just following orders” defense has never relieved one from responsibility. Ever. And it’s probably one of the most despicable lies ever told.

I have no doubt that the messenger companies pressure their employees to deliver as quickly as possible, but breaking the law and endangering others is entirely on the rider.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-06-22, 01:48 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

I think it's pushing a bit to apply Milgram here, though you could argue that there is a subculture that glorifies the lawlessness and dehumanizes those the riders put at risk - calling them "cagers" and "meat pylons". So maybe it's more like the Stanford Prison study? But in any case, the rider chose the job, and chooses to ride like this
just because everything you say is mostly right doesn't mean that the NYC bike squid is TOTALLY wrong. the NYC streets are a fur ball of auto & moto & bike & pedestrian law breaking and a constant situational awareness is required to even walk down or across any street much less 5th Ave so i see the guy as a bit player in the "every man for himself" NYC game, no more or less deserving of scorn than the next jay walker or sign ignorer
Old 04-06-22, 01:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

just because everything you say is mostly right doesn't mean that the NYC bike squid is TOTALLY wrong. the NYC streets are a fur ball of auto & moto & bike & pedestrian law breaking and a constant situational awareness is required to even walk down or across any street much less 5th Ave so i see the guy as a bit player in the "every man for himself" NYC game, no more or less deserving of scorn than the next jay walker or sign ignorer
But then, certainly not deserving of glorification. I mean, the last time I was in New York, the taxi driver bringing me into Manhattan from JFK was speeding, drove on the sidewalk, etc., but I didn't make a YouTube video of it, about how 'fast and fluid' his driving was.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-06-22, 02:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You understand that the Nuremberg principle is that following illegal orders is not a defense, right?

No one's telling that jerk to ride like that.
Old 04-06-22, 02:02 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
… doesn't mean that the NYC bike squid is TOTALLY wrong.
Wrong again. The guy IS totally wrong. Whatever else might be going on doesn’t have bearing on his responsibility to operate in a safe, legal manner. First it was the “just following orders” defense and now you’re trying the “everyone else is breaking a law” defense. You’re 0/2.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-06-22, 02:03 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

But then, certainly not deserving of glorification. I mean, the last time I was in New York, the taxi driver bringing me into Manhattan from JFK was speeding, drove on the sidewalk, etc., but I didn't make a YouTube video of it, about how 'fast and fluid' his driving was.
yeah but not too many people were ever interested in watching (videoing) me Steamrollering through Washington Square at 3 mph or walking my bike across 5th Ave
Old 04-06-22, 02:10 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Wrong again. The guy IS totally wrong. Whatever else might be going on doesn’t have bearing on his responsibility to operate in a safe, legal manner. First it was the “just following orders” defense and now you’re trying the “everyone else is breaking a law” defense. You’re 0/2.
all you guys are righter than me so i aint defending the squid anymore but don't blame me if you get elbowed out of the Cubby Hole or some other biker cyclist hangout
Old 04-06-22, 02:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Again, BS. He's a hell of a lot worse than a jay walker. I'll remind you that the quote that set you off was in response to a photo of this guy coming within about an inch of taking out a couple kids.

And yeah, the jay walker isn't being lionized in a video and on this thread's OP.

Look, if someone takes a job as a hit man, are they really blameless because they're just doing what the job entails? Even if I bought your premise that this job requires this behavior, that just makes the guy guilty for knowingly doing the job.
Old 04-06-22, 02:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi

Godwin himself has said the law doesn't apply if someone actually is espousing Nazism (not that anyone here was).

He literally was saying the guy wasn't guilty because he was just doing what he was told.
BTW, I'm pretty sure What'shisface Schickelgruber was the one Nazi who definitely never claimed he was just following orders.
Old 04-06-22, 02:27 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
So you've never even been to New York City, not even once?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-06-22, 02:59 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Not even once…
Old 04-06-22, 04:20 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I've watched a lot of Safa's videos including his mountain biking and gravel vids. I've never seen him ever bully others or bomb at full speed on singletrack at top speed past hikers. Which of his posts are you referring to?
Old 04-06-22, 04:39 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Stuff
Not sure of the context here - are you really here just to troll?

Great riding and while I don't agree that it is ever ok to touch a car unless it is in self defense, it is an older vid of his with him in Mexico City. Again, my question is about his mountain biking vids recently.
Old 04-06-22, 05:02 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
A lot of people ride in NYC. Few of them ride the way you are talking about.
Old 04-06-22, 07:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
There is indeed a “flow” to NYC traffic.

That guy is not part of that flow. He is just blowing through it and messing it up for others.
Likes For Kapusta:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.