Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with 1/8 chain

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Help with 1/8 chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 08:40 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Help with 1/8 chain

The chain on my fixed gear is a little bit on the short side. Currently running 46x16, and I'd like to flip the rear to run the 17t on the other side. Is there a half link I can add to my Sram 1x chain to make it long enough?

Dave
Old 05-04-22, 10:20 AM
acoustophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
I tend to keep the remains of the chain after I shorten it just in case situations like this arise. Outside of buying a new chain, your local LBS should have single links for sale. I've added a half link from a BMX chain to a 1/8 chain before with no issues.
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 05-04-22, 11:11 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Short answer - yes. The beauty of 1/8"chains. Many bike shops have them. I am sure a quick internet scan would land you a bunch. 1/8" chain is also used by the rest of the world and you can go to your hardware store and buy a 1/2 link. It will have a cotter pin and clevis, much more secure than the threaded bike 1/2 link but it does mean there is a lot more protrusion and you will have to look carefully to make sure the pin and clevis don't hit anything as the link follow the chain's path.

I second saving the leftover chain. Anther joy of 1/8" (and 3/32" up through the 7/8-speed) is that you can re-drive pins so that leftover can be added as needed later, no quick links required; just an old fashioned chain riveter. On that note - I like the chains with long pins with lots of projection beyond the outer plates, Makes re-riveting easy and makes for peace of mind. My favorite 1/8" chain is the Isuzu ECO, their $20-25 chain. Protrusion, very square, hard edged link plates that are the complete opposite of any modern, quick shifting derailleur chain (like they wanted to make it really hard to shift - well shifting on a SS/fix gear is better known as throwing the chain; simply bad). So those Isuzus run noisy, stay on (and last forever). Popular at the velodrome for those without $50+ to spend on chains. (I ran a beautiful KMC for a bit. Quiet. But I had to run with less chain slack to keep it on riding rough roads. The Izusu allows more slack, security (and for the $$ saver type, allows you to run a cheaper crankset and get away with more eccentricity and chain slack/tighten. A bigger window of acceptable slack.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-04-22, 11:27 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My favorite 1/8" chain is the Isuzu ECO, their $20-25 chain. Protrusion, very square, hard edged link plates that are the complete opposite of any modern, quick shifting derailleur chain (like they wanted to make it really hard to shift - well shifting on a SS/fix gear is better known as throwing the chain; simply bad). So those Isuzus run noisy, stay on (and last forever). Popular at the velodrome for those without $50+ to spend on chains. (I ran a beautiful KMC for a bit. Quiet. But I had to run with less chain slack to keep it on riding rough roads. The Izusu allows more slack, security (and for the $$ saver type, allows you to run a cheaper crankset and get away with more eccentricity and chain slack/tighten. A bigger window of acceptable slack.
My current chain is just about done, so I'll give this one a try next.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-04-22, 04:28 PM
bonsai171

Unfortunately saving the leftover chain isn't an option, I installed the chain quite a few years ago and threw out the extra. The kmc half links say they work with kmc chains. Surprised Sram doesn't have one of their own. Maybe I should just buy a new chain and call it a day.

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 05-04-22 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 05:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Unlike with multi-speed chain, you should be able to use a generic 1/8" half-link with any 1/8" chain.

I await correction if someone knows an exception.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-06-22, 02:54 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...-1-8-half-link

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-06-22, 03:33 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I take it the standard version would work?
Old 05-06-22, 03:39 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I take it the standard version would work?
Yes, it should fit anything other than a KMC K1 chain.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie: