Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

self-guided bike week in Napa? who?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 11:48 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

my brother asked if I had any suggestions for a self-guided bike week in Napa Valley.
If it was just me I would follow the suggestion of another post here and DIY my own trip - take my own bike, book my hotels, book a taxi to move luggage, plan my own routes, deal with my own flats etc.
but my brother is not that intrepid (or foolish). while he and his wife might ot want to be part of a big 20 person group of cycling strangers, he'll want to pay a real company to lay it all out for him, provide the bikes and routes and to be available for support.

surprisingly, at a quick glance, I do not see a lot of operators offering that in the Napa area.
does anyone have any suggestions of companies who plan and offer SG multi day bike trips in the Napa area. ?
Old 06-01-22, 08:27 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Napa valley isn't that big and the roads are VERY busy or narrow with no shoulders. Sonoma county has better roads for touring IMO and plenty of wineries too. There are some nice roads out of Sebastopol, Occidental, and the surrounding area. Try searching for tour operators that provide tours there instead.
Old 06-02-22, 07:41 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
My sense of Napa is the major north-south roads are very busy and would be stressful cycling, and theres not many other options in the valley. I like the idea of having a company find the good routes. Also I second the idea of expanding the wine country tour concept to adjacent counties that can be just as interesting but less busy.
Old 06-02-22, 07:55 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
A google search for "wine country bicycle tour" gets a lot of results for the broader area of California wine country. You can narrow it more if you want with "self-guided bike tours california wine country", but you may miss some good ones. It may be better to wade through the longer list.

It really sounds like fun. Years ago my wife and I did some self planned day tours with friends to a number of east coast wineries. We found it much preferrable to doing it by car in addition to just being more fun. It allowed a bit more time to let the blood alcohol level settle. I'd plan a California winery bike tour with her now if I could get her on a bike again but she swore off of bikes some time ago.
Old 06-02-22, 09:05 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
The best part of our Napa Valley tour was leaving it and cycling down the Russian River to the coast.