Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Need help converting my Mongoose Envoy cargo bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 09:45 AM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts

I bought this bike to convert to electric and replace my other e-bike which doesn't have enough payload for my needs.

So far I've removed the bottom bracket and the front derailleur. But I'm hesitant to pull the derailleur cable out as it's fished thru the top tube and looks impossibly difficult to replace if I ever decide to convert the bike back. Should I leave part of the cable/tube in place to use as a fish just in case I ever decide to convert the bike back?

Also when I test fit the motor into the bottom bracket it appears to bump into the rear derailleur cable which passes under the bottom bracket.

Please note I have the bike upside down on a table. When I insert the motor into the bottom bracket it hangs down resting on the bottom tube pinching the cable. Is there something I can put around the cable/tubing or should I just pull that out and install a new cable somewhere else?

I'm thinking for now I'll just leave a slight gap between the motor and the bottom tube so the cable has enough wiggle room.

Old 06-08-22, 10:51 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I don't perceive a problem leaving cable housing in the frame except if you don't secure it in some way, you'll have a rattle. It shouldn't be that difficult to thread if you ever need to though since the housing is stiff. Discover some other solution to the cable/motor problem than not securing the motor tightly against the frame. IMO, it will "loosen" and "flop around"; it's imperative to jam the motor against the frame (I used a thin piece of rubber to protect the frame..
Old 06-08-22, 10:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I have an Envoy and a mid-drive project underway. If I leave the RD cable in place it is going to be crushed by the torque of the motor. Your motor has a threaded tab that looks just thick enough to keep the motor housing from crushing the RD cable. I am running a longer cable and housing around the entire motor so it does not stay trapped between the motor housing and the bottom bracket. The TSDZ motor has an anti-torque collar that went around that tube that comes out of the bottom bracket to the rear. It's like it was made just for the Envoy! But you might be able to do the same thing with a large P-clamp.
Old 06-10-22, 01:04 PM
homeless in ca.

I used a piece of rubber between the motor and the bottom tube and it leaves the rear derailleur functional. Just torqued down the motor and the derailleur still switches gears nicely.

Since I have a 73mm bottom bracket the bolts that hold the triangle thingey weren't long enough. I had to get some longer ones and some spacers. I got a lot of help watching Rev-Becca's install video.
Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 06-12-22, 12:46 PM
homeless in ca.

I still need to order a battery. Prefer to order from a Canadian seller via Amazon or E-bay. Want one that mounts to the downtube and comes with the installation mount and a charger?
Old 06-13-22, 01:47 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I had good results with a UPP (Unit Pack Power) battery, but don't know whether they're available in CA. Also, FME, make sure you use Locktite on the center nut securing your motor since you're not able to use the "jam" nut (unless the center spindle of the BBS02 was lengthened) or the motor will (probably) "loosen" and move around.