Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Old Time Bicycle Lube

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old Time Bicycle Lube

Old 07-14-22, 12:49 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Old Time Bicycle Lube

I went into the LBS to buy some chain lube for my bicycle. I was blown away at all the types and brands for sale. What did they use ( Back in the good old days.) for bicycle chain lube?
Old 07-14-22, 11:57 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Things changed, for the better. PTFE was bad because of PFOA, and now it's recognized as bad. So things like safety and other things have really improved! haha. Environmentally speaking, the most environmentally friendly isn't the most efficient lube, and the easiest to apply may not be best. When I had chains, I chose waxed chains, which are a fuss to deal with every 200 miles, but worth the hassle for the quiet ride and ease of cleaning.
My kid has opted for sheep oil for weekly cleaning and lubing, due to environmental concerns.
Old 07-15-22, 12:19 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
I like CHAIN-L. Put it in a needle (small) applicator and one drop per link. Wipe. It is a thick oil and lasts a long time.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 07-15-22, 01:34 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Fifty years ago I was using a Raleigh cycling oil to lube the chain and hubs - very often. Grease in hubs created too much drag on my speedy PX10. When I got a Phil Wood BB it felt like ​​it was "gummed up" . However it was a maintenance dream. I would just inflate my 21 mm tubulars even more to compensate for that extra drag.
Old 07-15-22, 05:42 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Fifty years ago, we used Mobil 10W-40, as that's what the '69 Chevelle wagon and '78 Dodge Aspen wagon used. Dad changed his own oil and drained the remaining drops of the cans (not plastic bottles) into a Gerber baby food jar. We used a wire he'd filed to a point to put a drop between each side plate. It was a bit tedious for kids.

Grease, since you didn't ask, was from a can of pump grease he picked up years earlier. I'm guessing he still has the can. Hubs on our bikes weren't sealed well so 500 miles was about the limit before repacking was needed. We were still going through cones though, which could be picked up at the nearby Coast to Coast hardware store. Today, hubs are much better sealed, and it gets hard to find replacement cones for anything but the current.
Old 07-15-22, 08:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Which days are the goodest and oldest? Roller chain is contemporary with the petroleum industry so it's always been that kind of stuff.

This being the commuting forum we'd be remiss not to point out that fenders will keep grime and spray off your chain and the lube will last longer.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-15-22, 09:05 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
50 years ago? Probably Mom's 3-in-1 oil. If Dad was around when we needed to oil our bikes, we might get to use his oil can which was probably filled with leftover Quaker State 30 weight oil when he topped the station wagon up before vacation. Hmm, Quaker State -- was that an early use of paraffin wax on a chain?
Old 07-15-22, 09:10 AM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
They used snake oil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
Old 07-16-22, 04:48 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I remember someone from the club using Motorcycle lube. He claimed that it was ( then) the same as bicycle chain lube. True or False?
Old 07-16-22, 09:58 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I've been on motorcycle forums and they have threads like this. All that's missing is the hot wax. The manual that came with my Suzuki said to use kerosene.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-16-22 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-17-22, 05:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Nearly any oil is nearly good enough. Each oil has its intrinsic replacement interval with the more viscous ones needing less frequent replacement.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-18-22, 12:50 AM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I agree with the above. I am a long-time motorcyclist and have seen and read extensive chain lube comparisons. There are innumberable products out there for both bicycle and motorcycle chains that mostly just cost more than more common oils like motor oil or gear oil. Sometimes they have some characteristic that promises to make them more appealing for some reason other than lubricating the drive chain -- like the waxes that are supposed to make less mess. Try this or that if you want, but gear oil is about as good as it gets and there is really nothing better for motorcycle or bicycle drive chains. I'm not claiming that some more expensive products aren't just as good, but I've never seen any evidence that they're even the least bit better -- and I've seen a whole lot of evidence. Neither will I claim that gear oil is the neatest product. If that's your criterium, then run the chain dry.
Old 07-18-22, 07:17 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
Fifty years ago, we used Mobil 10W-40, as that's what the '69 Chevelle wagon and '78 Dodge Aspen wagon used. Dad changed his own oil and drained the remaining drops of the cans (not plastic bottles) into a Gerber baby food jar. We used a wire he'd filed to a point to put a drop between each side plate. It was a bit tedious for kids.

Grease, since you didn't ask, was from a can of pump grease he picked up years earlier. I'm guessing he still has the can. Hubs on our bikes weren't sealed well so 500 miles was about the limit before repacking was needed. We were still going through cones though, which could be picked up at the nearby Coast to Coast hardware store. Today, hubs are much better sealed, and it gets hard to find replacement cones for anything but the current.
Hey MNBikeCommuter
I think we grew up in the same house! Except it was a 66 Chrysler and a 71 Ford at my house.
I still have a box if old "pitted" cones in the garage somewhere, Like I might use them again sometime**********
Old 07-19-22, 07:52 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
I still use motor oil. Works fine. Nothing I've tried seems to effect the performance or longevity of the chain. Just clean and lube periodically.
Old 07-19-22, 08:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
For bikes to be ridden outside, I go with Chain-L No. 9. For bikes I ride on the trainer (I have cats that love to rub against my bike when they see I'm getting ready for a ride and they'd rather I spent the time paying attention to them), I go with hot wax.
Old 07-19-22, 08:43 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I remember someone from the club using Motorcycle lube. He claimed that it was ( then) the same as bicycle chain lube. True or False?
Which motorcycle lube? Which bicycle chain lube? There have always been multiple kinds available.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-20-22, 06:42 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Which motorcycle lube? Which bicycle chain lube? There have always been multiple kinds available.
PJ1. It’ll never come off!