Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for longtail cargo bike

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 08-29-22, 02:00 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts

I need a grocery hauler and I’d like to get a longtail cargo bike. I’m 6’2” and I’m looking for something that is pedal only on a budget of no more than around $1500. Been checking out the Mongoose, Surly, Yuba Kombi. Any suggestion?
Old 08-30-22, 08:41 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
I need a grocery hauler and I’d like to get a longtail cargo bike. I’m 6’2” and I’m looking for something that is pedal only on a budget of no more than around $1500. Been checking out the Mongoose, Surly, Yuba Kombi. Any suggestion?
If you have or can get a rear rack and a set of vintage or used panniers, it might be enough space. Also, a rear rack and a plastic box on top.
Old 08-30-22, 03:19 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
If you have or can get a rear rack and a set of vintage or used panniers, it might be enough space. Also, a rear rack and a plastic box on top.
Always a backup option. I was trying to get a feel for any cheap longtails pedal only frames floating around. There are very few and I may have to reluctantly build another grocery getter like you describe.
Likes For boneshaker78:
Old 08-30-22, 05:17 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
Always a backup option. I was trying to get a feel for any cheap longtails pedal only frames floating around. There are very few and I may have to reluctantly build another grocery getter like you describe.
If you have most of the parts, or cheap access to them, I'd say you won't be disappointed buying a Big Dummy frame. Otherwise, I don't think you'll find a complete Big Dummy used for close to your budget. I'm a big fan of mine and if you think it's what you really won't, I'd suggest holding out until you can afford one. For reference, there is an old Yuba Mundo on craigslist in Madison, WI for $1299. I think the frame mounted bread basket would be great for groceries and I feel like I remember from my research that the Mundo is really solid. Whatever you get, if you have serious weight on the back, putting some of it in front helps the ride. If this is just for yourself and you won't be doing any kid hauling, past comments I've read suggest you'll be very pleased with the value of the Mongoose. If there's any chance this might become your primary bike, I say hold out for a Big Dummy, and I'd suggest a Large. I'm just under 6' and am on a medium frame with an uncut steer tube and long stem. It works, but a Large would have also. a quick google shows one in Portland for $1100, so maybe there is more hope than I thought.
FWIW, I can fit most of the groceries we need for a family of 6 for a week, plus a kid (potentially two) on the Big Dummy.

Last edited by SirLeaflock; 08-30-22 at 05:20 PM.
Likes For SirLeaflock:
Old 08-30-22, 05:25 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Anyone ever try a Burley Travoy? https://burley.com/products/travoy
Old 08-31-22, 06:37 AM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bought the Travoy with all of the accessories. That’s what will work best for me. I think the longtail is more than I really need and very expensive. I’m going to hunt down a second bike, probably old MTB cro-moly frame and build it up.
Old 09-02-22, 09:00 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
If you are looking for a pedal only longtail I would look for used ones. They don't seem to sell that well as new ebike versions. In my larger vicinity area there have been a few for sale in the $400-$600 without any takers. Yuba, Mongoose and few non brands. There was even an original Bakfiets for $800 which finally sold after weeks of being posted. Not a longtail but a long box front loader.
And I love my Travoy as well. I just don't like their prices for their bags. There is a company in Gemany which offers cheaper folding boxes for the Travoy but they don't sell them here in the USA. I had a set sent to my family in Germany and will pick them up later this year when traveling over there. But otherwise the Travoy is a great trailer. I use mine as a trolley inside the store.
Old 09-04-22, 07:00 AM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I see you like your Travory can you anyone else here give an in debt review of the Travory would love to hear all about it and this might make me take the plunge to but it.
Thanks for your time.
Old 09-06-22, 01:27 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
My only experience with long tails was a Kona Ute. I did not like how it handled and replaced it with a 26” wheel LHT and Extrawheel trailer. So there may be an acceptable long tail out there but I could carry the same w the LHT and trailer and have a normal bike the rest of the time. With that limited experience and your limited budget my $.02, unless you are sure about a particular longtail is to consider a single wheel trailer that can carry two big pannier loads w your bike capable of carrying front and back panniers.

oh heck just read your trailer purchase, well done.

Last edited by LeeG; 09-06-22 at 01:31 PM.