Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

pant stirrups?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

pant stirrups?

Old 01-15-23, 06:47 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I have some. They're kind of hot though, but for awhile they were the only thing that did the job. But then they came out with these, even cheaper. They stretch (essential) and are very reflective. Recommended
wow, ok, thanks for this link. I want those as well. I wear the leg protector because, for some reason, my tights get chewed up in the winter, and...my right leg gets chewed up in the summer, if I only use some sort of cuff band. between the front derailleur and the outer ring itself, I end up with grease and cuts on my legs\tights. Maybe it's my city riding style.

I think I will ADD the reflective bands you link to above. I read somewhere recently that neon yellow clothing is not really all that effective at night, and that reflective material, especially for the side of the bike and rider, are key. Certainly in the winter, my commute is in the dark on both ends. Thanks.
Old 01-15-23, 08:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
wow, ok, thanks for this link. I want those as well. I wear the leg protector because, for some reason, my tights get chewed up in the winter, and...my right leg gets chewed up in the summer, if I only use some sort of cuff band. between the front derailleur and the outer ring itself, I end up with grease and cuts on my legs\tights. Maybe it's my city riding style.

I think I will ADD the reflective bands you link to above. I read somewhere recently that neon yellow clothing is not really all that effective at night, and that reflective material, especially for the side of the bike and rider, are key. Certainly in the winter, my commute is in the dark on both ends. Thanks.
or you can add reflective tape

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-16-23 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-16-23, 07:45 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
or you can add reflective tape
yeah, I have some on the bike, but would not use it on clothing.
Old 01-16-23, 08:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Trueblood
yeah, I have some on the bike, but would not use it on clothing.
if you consider ankle wraps / leg protectors clothing

but on that topic, I have added reflective tape to clothing w/ pretty good results. nothing that I would wash, just outer garments specifically for commuting in foul weather

snow pants

rain jacket
Old 01-18-23, 03:51 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
The thing with ankle straps ... calves taper. No matter where on your shin you place the strap, it WILL start to slide down no matter how tightly you affix it. I have only found one strap that is elastic enough that it will continue to grip after adjusted to size with the velcro fitting. The Leg Shields straps I linked earlier. Those metal clips probably would work too, but they are NOT reflective. And they probably are NOT $8.99 for a pair. So why not get a set of ankle bands that are 2" wide, elastic AND reflective as Hell? I can't think of a reason not to have a set near where you keep your helmet, shoes, gloves and other gear.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-18-23, 04:26 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
The thing with ankle straps ... calves taper. No matter where on your shin you place the strap, it WILL start to slide down no matter how tightly you affix it.....

So that's why they are called ankle straps. You're supposed to wrap them around your....ankles.
Old 01-18-23, 07:16 PM
rumrunn6

this worked out pretty well tonight

funny how high up the leg the chain ring has access to. it's not just the ankle
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-19-23, 01:27 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
So that's why they are called ankle straps. You're supposed to wrap them around your....ankles.
Maybe that works for you, but I'm pretty sure this thread exists because that doesn't work for everyone. In fact there are a couple of pictures in this thread where the poster is wearing their 'ankle' straps about where I do, in fact, where most people do: just below mid-calf, i.e. just above the ankle. Any lower and the cuff usually pulls out and the strap falls. Not that it matters. I've found something that works for me. Works so well that I actually chortled out loud about your attempt at sarcasm at my expense. You have no idea ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-19-23, 02:22 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Maybe that works for you, but I'm pretty sure this thread exists because that doesn't work for everyone. In fact there are a couple of pictures in this thread where the poster is wearing their 'ankle' straps about where I do, in fact, where most people do: just below mid-calf, i.e. just above the ankle. Any lower and the cuff usually pulls out and the strap falls. Not that it matters. I've found something that works for me. Works so well that I actually chortled out loud about your attempt at sarcasm at my expense. You have no idea ...
Well we know why it doesn't work for you. It's because you are trying to keep them on your shins and calves. And then because your calves are tapered (your words), those ankle straps fall down to your.... ankles. Surprise, surprise.
Old 01-29-23, 07:41 AM
rumrunn6

used the knee brace again. this time didn't try to cover the top of the boot. this seemed to work even better

altho, since yesterday was so mild I could have just used my cycling pants instead of these winter pants
but it was OK, I wasn't too hot
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-29-23, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

used the knee brace again. this time didn't try to cover the top of the boot. this seemed to work even better

altho, since yesterday was so mild I could have just used my cycling pants instead of these winter pants
but it was OK, I wasn't too hot
fwiw- using these again this winter. they really do work well on the drive side, pant leg bottom
Old 11-29-23, 10:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
fwiw- using these again this winter. they really do work well on the drive side, pant leg bottom
I took one look at this photo and thought "That's Massachusetts!" (The trees, the rock you are standing on, the winter light ...) Look at your location. Yup. Boston. Where I was born. Grew up in Milton. Know those rocks really well.

And to the topic - our bodies vary so much and so do our types of riding that no solution is going to work for all. The discussion of leg taper. Yes, virtually all our legs taper but how much is all over the place. Where pant legs end relative to boot tops and ankles probably even more so. I've had many stretches where I've struggled to find pants long enough that aren't several inches too big at the waist. Pants/leggings that go over boot tops and not ride up? I spoke early on in this thread that I used to have a fella in the industry sew extensions on to my foul weather pants in my boatbuilding/racing days.

And for that "wool" kneewarmer approach - if you like it enough and have a similar buddy with sewing skills, consider slitting it up the side and installing a zipper or velcro. It will save you needing to pull it on over your foot or shoe, allow you to boot up first then "oh yeah, I need the sleeve" and will, almost certainly, extend the life of the sleeve by sparing it of all the stretches.
Old 11-29-23, 01:26 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I took one look at this photo and thought "That's Massachusetts!" (The trees, the rock you are standing on, the winter light ...) Look at your location. Yup. Boston. Where I was born. Grew up in Milton. Know those rocks really well.

And to the topic - our bodies vary so much and so do our types of riding that no solution is going to work for all. The discussion of leg taper. Yes, virtually all our legs taper but how much is all over the place. Where pant legs end relative to boot tops and ankles probably even more so. I've had many stretches where I've struggled to find pants long enough that aren't several inches too big at the waist. Pants/leggings that go over boot tops and not ride up? I spoke early on in this thread that I used to have a fella in the industry sew extensions on to my foul weather pants in my boatbuilding/racing days.

And for that "wool" kneewarmer approach - if you like it enough and have a similar buddy with sewing skills, consider slitting it up the side and installing a zipper or velcro. It will save you needing to pull it on over your foot or shoe, allow you to boot up first then "oh yeah, I need the sleeve" and will, almost certainly, extend the life of the sleeve by sparing it of all the stretches.

ha! are your rocks so different now?
this was at Spy Pond, Arlington, MA
good ideas!
I use these pants for cold weather walking as well & I like the way they drape, as-is, for walking
although they are short waisted & not snug at the waist. consequently I have to use suspenders to keep them up, haha
but you are perceptive! 1 ride I put the knee warmer on before my shoes, smart
the very next day, I did not & had to ask Wifey for help getting it over my shoe, haha
washed & dried the pants & tucked the warmer into a pocket. these things are so small & easy to lose, eek