Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Teach me the ways of the Mafac Racer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Teach me the ways of the Mafac Racer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-23, 05:29 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergz
Grind the end of spanners that you are going to use to remove the beveled lead in. Mafac brakes use very thin headed nuts and if you use spanners with a bevel only a small part of the spanner engages the head of the bolt.
I’ve encountered several other places where bolt heads and nuts are quite thin. I’ve removed that bevel on my small spanners and on a set (5mm to 10mm) 1/4” drive sockets too. I keep these handy in a separate bin for bike work.

note: I’ve just realized how conflicted I am. Trying my best to go all metric but probably stuck forever with imperial as I have only 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive wrenches and sockets. 😢 Does ROW have metric (11mm, 14mm, 19mm) drive sockets n wrenches? Truthfully, I do all my woodworking in imperial too. And I mow my yard in yards.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 01-28-23, 06:36 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 727 Posts
'Unhook the spring to adjust the pads.'
Oh, that's that's good, merci buckets.
Old 01-28-23, 06:02 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Grind the end of spanners that you are going to use to remove the beveled lead in. Mafac brakes use very thin headed nuts and if you use spanners with a bevel only a small part of the spanner engages the head of the bolt.
I use either the Mafac toolkit spanner, or one of those stamped steel flat multi-spanners, perfect for Mafacs, it grips the whole edge of the flats.

Replace the arm mounting bolts with allen headed bolts. Looks more "modern" and means that a tool you probably carry will undo a bolt in the field if necessary.
"Modern" is over there ------>