Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Renovating my 2003 Marin Eldridge Grade

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 08:58 AM
avion22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi
I’m considering renovating my 2003 Marin Eldridge Grade. It’s been in storage for the last 7 years, and I feel like it deserves some tlc.

currently it has the standard 9x3 Deore system. So for a start, I’d like to convert it to a modern 11(?)x1, at a similar level to deore

would appreciate if someone here who has done something similar before could help me with the shopping list and process

thank you!!
Likes For avion22:
Old 01-15-23, 09:56 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I did this to my similar vintage Santa Cruz Heckler

It had a Deore crankset So all I did was buy a narrow/wide Race Face chainring, And installed a new shifter, rear derailleur and cassette (and chain)

In my case I did 10 speed because I already had a 10 speed cassette laying around and used Shimano Zee shifter
and derailleur

But 11 speed is just as easy because it fits on the same cassette body

Not sure if Z is available anymore but then it was affordable downhill grade stuff which is the direction I was going with the heckler. But performance is on the line of Dioury or SLX

If it’s a 26 inch wheel bike you may not need the super low range of a 12 speed, but there are 12 speed cassettes out there that are compatible with your HG hub body also, Then you can run a SRAM GX derailer and shifter in, but if you went with a pie plate cassette you might bump the front ring up to 34 or 36 On a 26 inch bike
Old 01-15-23, 10:20 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by avion22
Hi
I’m considering renovating my 2003 Marin Eldridge Grade. It’s been in storage for the last 7 years, and I feel like it deserves some tlc.

currently it has the standard 9x3 Deore system. So for a start, I’d like to convert it to a modern 11(?)x1, at a similar level to deore

would appreciate if someone here who has done something similar before could help me with the shopping list and process

thank you!!
I'm never going to get to mine at the rate I'm going
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 01-15-23, 03:04 PM
avion22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
It had a Deore crankset So all I did was buy a narrow/wide Race Face chainring, And installed a new shifter, rear derailleur and cassette (and chain)
thanks! As I mentioned, I’ve never done anything like that before. Have you seen a resource anywhere that specifies the recommended and necessary parts and models?

assuming that I stick to 11x1 :

which type and size of raceface chainring is recommended (for cross country)?

which type and size of a cassette is recommended?

will any model of 11 gears shifter and dreuiller would fit?

thanks a lot
Old 01-16-23, 09:04 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I think that Wolf Tooth (probably others too) makes a product that will allow your derailleur to accommodate 11 speed and a "pie plate" in the cassette. My friends with Trek Marlins are running Shimano 10 speed with a 10 - 46 rear cassette. You could operate that with a 32 tooth ring depending on how steep the hills are that you'll ride.