Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Racks......why arent there more.....and better....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Racks......why arent there more.....and better....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-23, 05:37 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Is that pipe insulation with zip ties on the bars?…

I think ILTB has a pretty good transportation rig. Fenders, good lighting, low maintenance drive train. I get a lot of utility out of zip ties and old inner tubes.

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Something I have noticed whenever this topic comes up, cyclists seem to like ALDI.
I’ve tried ALDI in three different locations. Smaller, simpler store concept should have advantages but they don’t execute well. Produce quality was not good and they didn’t have some basics I was looking for. I haven’t been back to any of them.
Old 01-24-23, 06:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
My nearest ALDI has a very convenient wall near the door to lean my bicycle against where lock it; just like the other stores in the area. I too have had no bicycle stolen in the 20 years I have used this method while shopping at local stores.

I could lock it to the rails around the shopping carts but it is likely to interfere with shoppers as the sidewalk is not that wide at that location.Luckily I am not paranoid about bicycle thieves lurking in every nearby shadow waiting to pounce at the sight of any bicycle not locked and bolted to the ground.

When you typed that bit about "paranoid", did it not occur to you that the likelihood of theft might be much higher in other places? I wouldn't dream of leaving a bike like that in Boston, for example.
Old 01-24-23, 06:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

More a problem in some European locations than found almost anywhere in the U.S.

Then again there sometimes could be found exceptions in the U.S.

Davis California 1963, Photo by Ansel Adams
It's a problem in the US when there aren't bike parking facilities like that to fill up. I've been in urban neighborhoods where all of the street signs have a bike locked to them. I would not recommend leaving your bike against a wall in that context. We don't all live in Iowa.
​​​​​​
Old 01-24-23, 12:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
a modern CF bicycle would either become damaged or stolen if left locked up unattended in my area. Hardly any interests will be drawn to a deranged looking bicycle when left out in public...
Old 01-24-23, 01:11 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

I think ILTB has a pretty good transportation rig.
I wouldn't want to actually ride it anywhere, but ymmv. It's certainly got one thing going for it:

Originally Posted by Troul
Hardly any interests will be drawn to a deranged looking bicycle when left in public.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-24-23, 06:10 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
a modern CF bicycle would either become damaged or stolen if left locked up unattended in my area. Hardly any interests will be drawn to a deranged looking bicycle when left out in public...
Thieves may want the bicycle for the value of the metal.
Old 01-25-23, 05:12 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Thieves may want the bicycle for the value of the metal.
There's a lot of labor in stripping down that bicycle to net a few bucks at best. Just tossing that bicycle as it to a recycler wouldn't get you likely half as much. A person that is "in the know" of such activity wouldn't waste there time.

Better off waiting for that CF bicycle to claim & resell to an unsuspecting buyer...
Old 01-25-23, 07:03 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
There's a lot of labor in stripping down that bicycle to net a few bucks at best. Just tossing that bicycle as it to a recycler wouldn't get you likely half as much. A person that is "in the know" of such activity wouldn't waste there time.

Better off waiting for that CF bicycle to claim & resell to an unsuspecting buyer...
There are professional bike thieves in big cities and college towns in the U.S. who target expensive bikes, but the street value of almost any working bike stolen by a casual (i.e., opportunistic) thief is about $15, or was for many decades. It might be up to $25 by now. Hundred-dollar department store bike, $8,000 CF bike---doesn't matter.

I was surprised to see sneering comments about the looks of ILTB's utility bike. Yes, perhaps he should do as those commenters do and drive everywhere, reserving bike use for serious training rides. Those rides should be driven to, of course, since the roads nearer home tend to be annoyingly full of other drivers and thus unpalatable to a serious cyclist.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-25-23 at 07:09 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-25-23, 08:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I was surprised to see sneering comments about the looks of ILTB's utility bike. Yes, perhaps he should do as those commenters do and drive everywhere, reserving bike use for serious training rides. Those rides should be driven to, of course, since the roads nearer home tend to be annoyingly full of other drivers and thus unpalatable to a serious cyclist.
I wasn't surprised. A&S is not free of its share of enthusiasts proud of inflated ideas about the value and contribution to society of their precious gorgeous bikes and bicycling activities; sneering and snark is to be expected from such so-called self-centered "advocates."
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-25-23, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Trakhak
There are professional bike thieves in big cities and college towns in the U.S. who target expensive bikes, but the street value of almost any working bike stolen by a casual (i.e., opportunistic) thief is about $15, or was for many decades. It might be up to $25 by now. Hundred-dollar department store bike, $8,000 CF bike---doesn't matter.

ILTB asks for those unflattering comparisons when he starts throwing around words like "paranoid" at people who don't think it's a good idea to adopt his lax security precautions. Obviously, if he is parking a relatively inexpensive bike in Burlington Iowa, it is not the same consideration one would put into locking your more expensive bike in Oakland, CA (or wherever). ILTB immediately launches into his character attacks, just casually throwing out insulting adjectives to whatever concern he doesn't happen to share.

I think you're mixing up cause and effect, btw. The reason that stolen bikes tend to be at the cheaper end of things is because there's a lot more of them, and people are probably less concerned with securing them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-25-23, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I wasn't surprised. A&S is not free of its share of enthusiasts proud of inflated ideas about the value and contribution to society of their precious gorgeous bikes and bicycling activities; sneering and snark is to be expected from such so-called self-centered "advocates."

Are you even capable of not turning everything into this sort of personal attack?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-25-23, 10:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by scale
Why isnt it required to have a "good" bike rack out in front of all businesses? I would think it only makes sense with the wave of E-bike folks and thats only going to get worse.
That doesn't make a lot of sense for a small storefront in a downtown area. A business that already has a sizeable parking lot, maybe, but the issue isn't really the rack itself, it's the piece of real estate it will have to sit on.

Places iike Sommerville, MA are converting some of the street parking to bike racks. This makes a lot of sense to me. You can fit a lot of bikes into a space that was formerly occupied by a single car.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-25-23, 01:39 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'm not. Have you read his posts in this forum? No one trolls more. That bike is so appropriate.

btw, I live car free.
Nothing unpleasant has ever happened to him on a bicycle. So nothing ever will. Or he's oblivious.
Old 01-25-23, 02:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
The obnoxiousness is strong among some so-called bicycling advocates and may answer the question asked by the OP,
"Why isn't it required to have a "good" bike rack out in front of all businesses?"
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-25-23, 04:06 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,115 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Places iike Sommerville, MA are converting some of the street parking to bike racks. This makes a lot of sense to me. You can fit a lot of bikes into a space that was formerly occupied by a single car.
Now this is actually a pretty good idea. The downtown shopping district in my town I think would benefit from something along the lines of converting a couple of car spots each block to a bike parking area. A much better solution to every business downtown being required to have a "good" bike rack.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-25-23, 06:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The obnoxiousness is strong among some so-called bicycling advocates and may answer the question asked by the OP,
"Why isn't it required to have a "good" bike rack out in front of all businesses?"

You're repeating yourself and it's a stupid assertion. Do you have anything constructive to add to this conversation?

Pretty sure most business owners haven't actually had any interactions with bicycling advocates, so-called or otherwise. I go into stores and restaurants all the time that would have no practical place to put a bike rack. "Requiring" them to do the impossible is a pretty tough policy sell.
Old 01-26-23, 09:32 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
You're repeating yourself and it's a stupid assertion. Do you have anything constructive to add to this conversation?

Pretty sure most business owners haven't actually had any interactions with bicycling advocates, so-called or otherwise. I go into stores and restaurants all the time that would have no practical place to put a bike rack. "Requiring" them to do the impossible is a pretty tough policy sell.
hm, what kind of store or group or stores isn’t adjacent to a public way? presumably there’s a street, so there’s frontage on the street with either a sidewalk or a setback or a parking lot?

in any case - i agree that it’s bad policy to go around retroactively requiring businesses to do things. that isn’t how it’s done for zoning related issues. you require it for new construction, remodels, change of use, additions, etc. that plus the city or country doing it when they maintain roads and sidewalks would result in pretty good coverage in 10-20 years.
Old 01-26-23, 09:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mschwett
hm, what kind of store or group or stores isn’t adjacent to a public way? presumably there’s a street, so there’s frontage on the street with either a sidewalk or a setback or a parking lot?

in any case - i agree that it’s bad policy to go around retroactively requiring businesses to do things. that isn’t how it’s done for zoning related issues. you require it for new construction, remodels, change of use, additions, etc. that plus the city or country doing it when they maintain roads and sidewalks would result in pretty good coverage in 10-20 years.

So in your typical Main St. set up, you often have small store front after store front exiting directly on the sidewalk. These sidewalks are generally (usually") not wide enough to accommodate a useable bike rack and pedestrian traffic especially while maintaining disabled people's access. There wouldn't seem to be a case for every one of those storefronts to have some sort of bike rack in front of them, and I also think that there's a whole lot of liability and construction costs that the store owner would need to incur to put up this dubious benefit. I also don't think that a lot of these store owners actually have the rights to erect structures on those sidewalks, so would they be given that automatically along with the mandate to do so?
Already having a parking lot is a somewhat different situation--I am responding to the "all businesses" aspect of this question. .
Old 01-26-23, 10:26 AM
mschwett 

So in your typical Main St. set up, you often have small store front after store front exiting directly on the sidewalk. These sidewalks are generally (usually") not wide enough to accommodate a useable bike rack and pedestrian traffic especially while maintaining disabled people's access. There wouldn't seem to be a case for every one of those storefronts to have some sort of bike rack in front of them, and I also think that there's a whole lot of liability and construction costs that the store owner would need to incur to put up this dubious benefit. I also don't think that a lot of these store owners actually have the rights to erect structures on those sidewalks, so would they be given that automatically along with the mandate to do so?
Already having a parking lot is a somewhat different situation--I am responding to the "all businesses" aspect of this question. .
hmmmm. i’m not aware of many “main street” type sidewalks in north america that are less than 8 feet wide. typically 10 to 12. otherwise even the curb ramp for a driveway cuts into the accessible path, and there’s no room for trees, utility boxes, even space to stand while you feed a parking meter. as i mentioned above the “standard” design for a relatively narrow sidewalk is a 4-5’ accessible path adjacent to property lines and doors, and then a 3-5’ band adjacent to the curb for trees, parking meters, curb ramps, and bike racks. the bikes go parallel to the accessible path, two to a fixture, fixtures spaced every 6-8’ or alternating with trees and curb ramps.

of course there are conditions where it’s narrower than that, but it’s the exception, not the rule.

i still agree with you that you can’t retroactively require everyone to do this. as to your question about construction in the public way, yes, property owners have the right and often requirement to construct improvements in the public way with the appropriate permit. virtually all cities in north america allow and require this.
Old 01-26-23, 03:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

hmmmm. i’m not aware of many “main street” type sidewalks in north america that are less than 8 feet wide. typically 10 to 12. otherwise even the curb ramp for a driveway cuts into the accessible path, and there’s no room for trees, utility boxes, even space to stand while you feed a parking meter. as i mentioned above the “standard” design for a relatively narrow sidewalk is a 4-5’ accessible path adjacent to property lines and doors, and then a 3-5’ band adjacent to the curb for trees, parking meters, curb ramps, and bike racks. the bikes go parallel to the accessible path, two to a fixture, fixtures spaced every 6-8’ or alternating with trees and curb ramps.

of course there are conditions where it’s narrower than that, but it’s the exception, not the rule.

i still agree with you that you can’t retroactively require everyone to do this. as to your question about construction in the public way, yes, property owners have the right and often requirement to construct improvements in the public way with the appropriate permit. virtually all cities in north america allow and require this.

Strikes me that the municipality would be in a better position to place things like this on the sidewalk and/or street in some sort of rational manner. Having small bike racks every 6-8 feet makes little sense to me, and actually would obstruct a portion of the sidewalk systematically to no particular good end. Divorcing this function from the individual store owners allows a more sensible approach as it lifts the necessity of putting a rack somewhere just because it happens to be in front of a storefront.
Old 01-26-23, 04:42 PM
mschwett 

Strikes me that the municipality would be in a better position to place things like this on the sidewalk and/or street in some sort of rational manner. Having small bike racks every 6-8 feet makes little sense to me, and actually would obstruct a portion of the sidewalk systematically to no particular good end. Divorcing this function from the individual store owners allows a more sensible approach as it lifts the necessity of putting a rack somewhere just because it happens to be in front of a storefront.
not sure what you’re saying here - agreed that the city can and should do them and organize them, but the best and most common practice is indeed to put them in the street furnishing zone, intermittently with trees, meters, benches, etc. they’re dirt cheap, highly visible from both the street and the interior of businesses, small, flexible, secure, etc. they don’t obstruct the sidewalk because they’re parallel to the circulation zone, in the street furnishing zone.

racks which park multiple bikes wheel in take much more space and are harder to get a secure lock to the frame.

Old 01-26-23, 11:59 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I can think of two main reasons for this: First, the business owner leases the space and it is up to the property owner for outside improvements like bicycle parking. And second, we as bicyclists should let the business owner know that we would like to shop at their store more often but lack a proper space to park said bicycle.
Old 01-27-23, 01:19 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
And second, we as bicyclists should let the business owner know that we would like to shop at their store more often but lack a proper space to park said bicycle.
There's a time and a place for this, sure; it's excellent to communicate the request directly to the business owner when possible. At many stores, though — even small ones — the only person I interact with may be a cashier who isn't paid enough to care about the well-being of the business and won't bother to pass along the message.
Old 01-27-23, 06:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

not sure what you’re saying here - agreed that the city can and should do them and organize them, but the best and most common practice is indeed to put them in the street furnishing zone, intermittently with trees, meters, benches, etc. they’re dirt cheap, highly visible from both the street and the interior of businesses, small, flexible, secure, etc. they don’t obstruct the sidewalk because they’re parallel to the circulation zone, in the street furnishing zone.

racks which park multiple bikes wheel in take much more space and are harder to get a secure lock to the frame.

I think we're running into a regional perspective thing here, because that diagram looks like a snow clearance nightmare to me. It kind of makes my point, though, in that the spacing of the bike racks has absolutely nothing to do with the number of and location of the individual store fronts.
Large racks can be placed in parking spots on the street, btw. This arrangement works well in the few places I've seen and used it. One car space can easily accommodate about 5 bikes.
Old 01-27-23, 12:25 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by blue192
I can think of two main reasons for this: First, the business owner leases the space and it is up to the property owner for outside improvements like bicycle parking. And second, we as bicyclists should let the business owner know that we would like to shop at their store more often but lack a proper space to park said bicycle.
Many years ago, after a long bike ride, I stopped by a Tim Horton's ( a very popular coffee shop all across Canada) for a coffee. To this day, there are no bike racks at any of their locations. So I normally lock my bike at the nearest iron fence or whatever there was. At one location it was a railing at the entrance of a retirement home.

So once I rode right into the drive-thru. None have bike racks but they all have drive-thrus. When it was my turn at the microphone, I waited for a while before I noticed that behind me was the line of cars going all the way into the street and the staff was running in and out taking their orders, not mine.

So when I walked to the window I asked what was going on and the reply was that I wasn't supposed to walk up. Well, that could have taken as much time to tell me as any other coffee order instead the management chose to waste everybody else's time. (There was an earlier occasion at a different location, I was served at the drive-thru with my bike, no problem.)

I later searched the Tim Horton's website to offer my feedback but there was none. Do I can't remember if I did or not but I think I searched the email for the HQ or CEO and requested that all Tim Horton's install bike racks because cyclists are customers too.

Last edited by Daniel4; 01-27-23 at 12:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.