Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Keeping feet/shoes cool?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Keeping feet/shoes cool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 01:23 PM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Keeping feet/shoes cool?

I'm heading into northern Colombia now and temperatures are regularly above 35C - hit a max of 43C on the bike today according to my bike computer. My bike shoes are getting really hot, especially the one on the more predominantly sunny side. Almost intolerably so. They are black which probably contributes. Anyone have success with keeping shoes/feet cool in these kinds of conditions? (Aside from wearing SPD sandals, which I wasn't able to get hold of before my trip)
Old 01-24-23, 07:50 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
you can wear regular sandals and flat pedals
Old 01-24-23, 07:09 PM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
you can wear regular sandals and flat pedals
Yeah, that's an option: I do have sandals and pedals with flats on the one side. But I like the stability and efficiency of cleats, and the ability to alternate a little between downward pushing and upward pulling. So I was wondering if anyone had ideas for keeping cool while still wearing cleated shoes. Anyway, today was a little cooler but when I'm next in the really high temperatures I'll experiment a bit.
Old 01-25-23, 12:15 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
also, I would like to say that Crocs are awesome too and they can get wet and be dry in seconds and they are lightweight :-)

somewhere I saw someone made crocs with spd's
Old 01-26-23, 12:49 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have ridden without socks and used thin Dr. Scholls inserts which keep my sweaty feet from sticking to the inside bottom of the shoe. The Specialized Trivent triathon shoes are made for triathalons and for ridding without socks and provide above average ventilation.

I often see local riders in Latin America going up steep grades in full sun and wearing with full sleeve jerseys and doing very well. It is tough for a gringo to make the adjustment to a hotter and more humid climate.
Old 01-29-23, 07:33 PM
afrowheels

Tried using ordinary sandals (and socks)with the flat side of the pedals for my last 20km today: somewhat cooler but did miss the cleats.

Funnily enough met a guy on the road who had the SPD sandals but wasn't using the cleats 😂

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
also, I would like to say that Crocs are awesome too and they can get wet and be dry in seconds and they are lightweight :-)

somewhere I saw someone made crocs with spd's
I won't be an easy convert to Crocs ;P but if I saw some with SPD's I'd be tempted.

Originally Posted by Calsun
I have ridden without socks and used thin Dr. Scholls inserts which keep my sweaty feet from sticking to the inside bottom of the shoe. The Specialized Trivent triathon shoes are made for triathalons and for ridding without socks and provide above average ventilation.

I often see local riders in Latin America going up steep grades in full sun and wearing with full sleeve jerseys and doing very well. It is tough for a gringo to make the adjustment to a hotter and more humid climate.
Unfortunately I probably won't be able to get either of those products where I am now, but thanks.

As for locals vs gringos: not so sure about your impression. Sun != heat: sun in the Andes can be at 5C, cloud up here can be 35C with high humidity. But 45C with no cloud. Most locals seem to think I'm crazy for 'voluntarily' cycling a heavily loaded bike between 10am and 3pm. The midday siesta is a real thing here for a reason. And when I stopped up my first horrible hot climb a month back there was a local pro rider on a super light road bike resting in the shade with his support crew...