Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Advice on preventing kidney stones

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-12-12, 09:13 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just finished up a grueling week passing a 3mm kidney stone. I've had lots of physical pain in my life (root canal on an infected tooth, walking the day after a hernia, ruptured neck disk, etc.), but this was just over the top. I never want to go through that again. Fortunately, the stone I had was relatively small. I can't imagine what it would be like with a bigger one.

The main thing my urologist told me was to have a glass of water in the middle of the night when I have to get up anyway to pee. That supposedly will disrupt the stone-forming process.

I'm wondering if any of you who have had this experience have any prevention methods of your own.
Old 05-12-12, 09:19 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Avoid high fructose corn syrup, drink plenty of water, and take a cranberry tablet if needed.
Old 05-12-12, 09:42 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked up the gout diet? Gout is caused by the same thing as kidney stones (uric acid) and when my levels got high my doctor recommended the gout diet.
Old 05-12-12, 09:53 PM
Closed Office

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are different types of kidney stones. One is caused by high calcium, and one by a lot of tea. I limit both since reading that.

For the oxalate or tea type, green teas have less of it than black, and herbal have still less, down to undetectable levels. This page has a bit of info about that.

https://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-recip...ey-stones.html

As axiom mentioned, one of the best preventatives is drinking water. I am just beginning to appreciate drinking water.
Old 05-13-12, 02:06 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've shared your pain, brother. And that was with what was called kidney "gravel" - the stones were much smaller than your 3mm willie-wreckers. I'd take childbirth any day over kidney stones!

As you've already been told, keep them kidneys flushed. Cranberry is also a great help. I was drinking cranberry juice like water for months afterward. Only minus is I remember that it's high in calories. But, like most things, if you search for cranberry and kidney stones you'll get conflicting opinions - I'm saying that it worked for me.
Old 05-13-12, 08:15 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had a kidney stone when I was in my 20s. I took a final exam while on narcotic pain killers and got the highest grade in the class. The kidney stones never have returned. I do drink a fair amount of water. I know that there is mixed findings on UTI and cranberry juice but I am not aware of any evidence which shows cranberry juice helps for kidney stones. I avoid it because juices are too calorie dense for me.
Old 05-13-12, 09:17 AM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As mentioned, there are different types of stones with different issues. I have had a couple of bouts with the calcium type stones. They do seem to be hereditary. Some medications (topamax is high on the list) can increase likelihood of stones.

I have been seeing a urologist and a nephrologist. The nephrologist tells me that the biggest issue is to to take in plenty of water. He also has me taking potassium citrate and a diuretic with the idea that it will make the urine more acidic and move it through quicker, making the likelihood of stones decrease.

From what I understand, cranberry is more for urinary tract infections and does not help stones, although the fluid is good. I can't imagine it will hurt. Some promote decreasing high oxalate foods including rhubarb, spinach, various leafy greens, although my doctor says that he believes that keeping fluid intake high helps most. Years ago my father had them. He are a point of drinking lots of water and never had them again.
Old 05-15-12, 05:46 AM
OKIE_55

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do some reading at this site.

https://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/kidney_stones.html
Old 05-16-12, 08:44 AM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OKIE_55
I saw that the best cure there was taking a mix of 2 oz of virgin olive oil, mixed with 2oz of lemon juice at the first sign of pain. If I ever go through this again, that's what I'm doing.