Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hmm, still not a fan of the triple crankset.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hmm, still not a fan of the triple crankset.

Old 04-16-20, 10:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
If you don't like your granny, well that's a problem but you may want to go somewhere else for help . . .
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-16-20, 11:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
If you don't like your granny, well that's a problem but you may want to go somewhere else for help . . .

Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-16-20, 11:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Not everyone wears socks every day.
Are you saying you leave the house in pants but no socks sometimes?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-16-20, 11:53 AM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Most of my bikes for the past ten years have been double cranksets, and the others have been single cranksets.

Trying out a triple. Not liking it. Just so bulky and my pants seem more prone to getting caught.
If the triple you are trying is 50/39/30, maybe a 52/39/30 would eliminate your pants getting caught. Perhaps your pant bottom would be below the top of the largest chainring.
Old 04-16-20, 12:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

I do like to change them from time to time. It helps to have more than one pair.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-16-20, 02:07 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Are you saying you leave the house in pants but no socks sometimes?
I'm saying that many people do that, but yes indeed, I do that as well. Sandals (popular w/a lot of people) or crotcheted moccasins (my personal favorite, if the ground isn't wet), without socks in Summer.

Originally Posted by hrdknox1
If the triple you are trying is 50/39/30, maybe a 52/39/30 would eliminate your pants getting caught. Perhaps your pant bottom would be below the top of the largest chainring.
That wouldn't work, as it's not the bottom which catches. The teeth of the biggest chainring catch on the inseam, which then starts tearing once you start pedaling. Going with a bigger chainring just makes the teeth catch that much higher up the trouser leg.
Old 04-16-20, 02:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm saying that many people do that, but yes indeed, I do that as well. Sandals (popular w/a lot of people) or crotcheted moccasins (my personal favorite, if the ground isn't wet), without socks in Summer.
Interesting. I'm happy to switch to shorts as soon as it gets over 50 degrees outside.

I guess folks who ride with pants but no socks will need to roll up the bottom or use bands of some kind to contain their pant legs. It's not a hard problem to solve.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-16-20 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-16-20, 06:21 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Just get a Velcro strap to put around your pants legs near the cuff. I have at least three different sets of these. I use them when I wear pants regardless of whether the bike has two or three chainrings.

I am a big fans of triples. I have triples on my mountain bike and my touring bike. I have a very steep driveway for which that small chain ring is always appreciated.

Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 04-16-20, 06:45 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
or pants....especially these days....
Old 04-17-20, 01:53 AM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
[QUOTE=Nyah;21421953]I'm saying that many people do that, but yes indeed, I do that as well. Sandals (popular w/a lot of people) or crotcheted moccasins (my personal favorite, if the ground isn't wet), without socks in Summer.

Good Lord, please don't do that.
Old 04-18-20, 09:21 AM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Triples are only for the very advanced bicyclist. Beginners should start with a single chainring, then after a few years move up to a double chainring, then after decades of experience move up to a triple chainring. Most professional racers are still in the double chainring stage.
Both of my road bikes (one steel, one carbon) are custom built with 10sp Ultegra triple, with 11-36 cassettes on the back. We have a few hills here in Colorado.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 04-18-20, 12:54 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Good Lord, please don't do that.
?
I've been doing it each day this week. You're just going to have to accept it.
Old 04-18-20, 03:28 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Old 04-18-20, 04:23 PM
adlai

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Other thing is that i do like putting in mtb derailleurs in my bikes. So a double with a deore in the back gives tons of range.
Old 04-18-20, 05:15 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Other thing is that i do like putting in mtb derailleurs in my bikes. So a double with a deore in the back gives tons of range.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 04-18-20, 08:07 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Most of my bikes for the past ten years have been double cranksets, and the others have been single cranksets.

Trying out a triple. Not liking it. Just so bulky and my pants seem more prone to getting caught.
so you're riding a bike with pants on, are you using a trouser strap? I ride triples on my touring bike and don't have any issues. Bulky? LOL!!!!
Old 04-19-20, 02:12 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Trying out a triple. Not liking it.
That's why they have both chocolate and vanilla.
Old 04-19-20, 04:42 AM
av1

Bikes: 1994 Specialized rockhopper comp , 1994 Scott Boulder Tange tubing, 1993 Bianchi 26inch tourer converted to drop bar with 28mm /1.1/ road tires

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

I am not fan of singles or doubles either.
Old 04-19-20, 06:06 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I think a triple is for many the beginning especially for roadies in the sense it gives you more gearing to strengthen to eventually evolution to the double for simplicity. I started out many many years ago in the road culture with a triple as it was still the main diet of riders except for pro’s and advanced riders.

I think triples for them fall into two scenario of needs:

1- The triple allows a weaker rider beginning to learn the culture while assisting on those climbs to have extra gears (training wheels so to speak) -or-

2- The triple is a only option for a specific riders needs. In other words, a double will not work for the specific riding the person is doing. I am not sure on this particular ride scenario that a double would not work given a rider’s ability but I am sure number 1 above is the most common reason.
Old 04-19-20, 07:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I am not sure on this particular ride scenario that a double would not work given a rider’s ability but I am sure number 1 above is the most common reason.
Here is one for you: Climbing for more than 30 miles on something like this with no services en route when you want more closely spaced gear options.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-20, 07:49 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Unfortunately, all major brands have forsaken brake/shift levers that will operate a triple FD. I used a 53/39/28 triple with up to a 29T largest sprocket for many years. My new 48/32 chorus 12 speed with an 11-34 has a little more top gear and a little more low gear than that old setup. The jumps at the low end 22-25-29-34 create about a 10 rpm change, if pedaling in the 70-85 rpm range. The 11-17 range is all 1 tooth increments.
Old 04-19-20, 07:55 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Here is one for you: Climbing for more than 30 miles on something like this with no services en route when you want more closely spaced gear options.

I am no weight weenie but that bad boy is weighted. Like I said, depends on the manner in which you ride....😆
Old 04-19-20, 08:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
I am no weight weenie but that bad boy is weighted. Like I said, depends on the manner in which you ride....😆
Never weighed it, but I am willing to bet it's lighter than what I rode across the country back in '99. (That orange tent on the back is only 2.25 lbs.) Put the bike on a scale at a truck weigh station. Came in at 90 lbs. The bike was a Cannondale aluminum, so it was on the lighter side. I carried a lot of photo equipment on that tour, including a Mamiya 645 with metered view finder, power grip and three lenses. Drive train was a 3X with MTB gearing. (22t third ring.) That's me wearing red, white and blue on July 4th in North Dakota.

To me, there are few things worse when touring than not having a lot of gearing steps. While I will likely never go 1x, which is all the rage now. Being in too high or two low a gear sucks.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-19-20 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-20, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
I think a triple is for many the beginning especially for roadies in the sense it gives you more gearing to strengthen to eventually evolution to the double for simplicity. I started out many many years ago in the road culture with a triple as it was still the main diet of riders except for pro’s and advanced riders.

I think triples for them fall into two scenario of needs:

1- The triple allows a weaker rider beginning to learn the culture while assisting on those climbs to have extra gears (training wheels so to speak) -or-

2- The triple is a only option for a specific riders needs. In other words, a double will not work for the specific riding the person is doing. I am not sure on this particular ride scenario that a double would not work given a rider’s ability but I am sure number 1 above is the most common reason.
Your assumptions are wrong. A triple isn’t only for a “weaker rider” nor is it only for “beginners”. With more than 40 years of riding under my belt, I’m neither and every bike I own has a triple that gets used on a regular basis. Sometimes it’s used while touring because these kinds of roads hove into view

IMGP1741 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

the road in the first picture was a 10% grade and the second one is a 25% grade at 12,000 feet. In both situations, I was carrying all the gear I needed to camp and eat. The second picture was taken about 12 miles into a 40 mile day and was taken the day after covering 50 miles that was a mixture of pavement and dirt. The current mountain bike doubles would have meant that I would have had to coast over much of the distance on both days. I still spend a lot of time coasting but I can get up to a higher speed with a triple than I could with the mountain double.

If you don’t want to use a triple, don’t! But don’t tell people that if they use triples that they are weak or beginners. I could have done both trips on a double and just HTFU and/or just walk all the hills. Or I could use the tools available to me and have actually ridden the hills. I chose the latter...not because I’m weak or new but because I’m smart.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-19-20, 09:08 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts

A triple makes very little sense if you live among flat terrain. If you live in hilly terrain, it can be pretty useful.

I understand that 11 speed rear mechanics can somewhat offset the need, if the front chainrings are really carefully chosen. Where I live there are stretches of road that go on for several miles at 10% grade. Being able to drop to 30t/30t is pretty nice. And there are stretches that go on for miles relatively flat. With a SS front mech, and 11sp rear, I would either give up low range, or high range, or tight gearing for the flats. A compact might be ok in front, but then there's even more front shifting than with the triple, since the gaps tend to be larger.

My biggest complaint around triples is the difficulty in getting them dialed in. But once you do, they're fine for mortals. Wear proper biking attire, or ankle bands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.