Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Old 01-04-21, 01:28 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Things that erk me more than they probably should:

- over-rotated drop bars and/or sky hoods. Screams poor fit (or wrong bar type), and refusal to do something more appropriate (get a shorter stem or (better yet) a frame with proper top tube length, or transition to upright type bars, etc).
- Overweight cyclists in super tight lycra on aero carbon bikes. I mean, really?
- People who ride MUP's in full tri-bullet mode
- People who will not call/signal a pass on MUP's (or on the road for that matter). Simple courtesy and good safety measure. Group rides excepted, of course.
- low cadence mashers
- poor form, specifically riding with knees splayed out and feet cockeyed on pedals. Just looks goofy as hell. I'll add unnecessary head bobbing to the list.
- noisy drivetrain
- calling downtube shifters "suicide shifters". who started that?
- deep dish rims on lugged steel-framed bikes, unless they are proper vintage aero rims on a time trial bike from the era
- electronic shifting. I know folks who swear by it, but I see it as unnecessary technological complication on what should be a simple, functional machine

I feel better now.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 01-04-21 at 03:12 PM.
Likes For canyoneagle:
Old 01-04-21, 02:58 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
The point of this post was to air "bike stuff" things that annoy us. I will likely be with the damned B17, aimed at the sun, and handlebars above my saddle when I get older. Does not mean I will like the way my bike looks better than now.
To be fair, I did specify fit critique, not aesthetic.
Old 01-04-21, 03:10 PM
Sbrown329

Bikes: Custom and a Specialized Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh god, I just did that.

Originally Posted by seypat
Now you've done it. I thought those other threads were controversial, but this, this is not acceptable. Have you no decency towards mankind?
I just stood there, looking at what I had done, so disgusted. I did not rewrap my bars, I hope no one will notice.
Old 01-04-21, 04:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
The older C&V "bros" who won't deign to ride anything other than a particular model of a certain brand from an exact year made from a very definite steel alloy. "I have a Pampogano Funkochento Pro Corsa Potenza Brava from 1977 that I picked up at a garage sale for $12 and it's the best bike ever and I won't ride anything else and you people are stupid and genetically inferior because I have this bike and you don't. Eff yeah!" and there seems to be too many of them on BF.
Yep, Purityrants.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-04-21, 04:41 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Glyndwr
I don't like cycling being referred to "biking" because it leads to me being called a "biker", which I absolutely HATE being called. Nothing against bikers - I'm just not into motorcycles and any connotation referring to someone who wears leather, has tattoos and rides a machine that makes a lot of totally unnecessary noise (at least here in the States)!
Uh oh...

I've heard this opinion before. I do have some answers I've used before...
"bikers..." 1. When you are broken down on the side of the road, more bikers will help you than not. Depends on the stereotype they see in you.
"someone who wears leather.." 1-Functional and 2-your wife likes it.
"has tattoos....." 1-Reading material and 2-your wife likes it.
"rides a machine....totally unnecessary noise...." I agree. I prefer a quiet motorcycle.

I think the last survey I read put the Harley rider at an almost identical demographic with a Volvo owner.

But anyway.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-04-21 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-04-21, 05:02 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Funny thing, and I wonder if others here have experienced this - more than once I've come down the road on my bicycle and passed by motorcyclists who have extended the wave that I used to get and return when I rode a motorcycle. There is a commonality in that car and truck motorists often fail to look out for two wheeled road users. Anyone else?
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-04-21, 05:08 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws. While touring down Hwy 1 in California when I was 18, I had a couple of flats. Getting the wheel back in with these things is difficult - they seemed to always want to rotate and stop the hub from going in. In addition, I couldn't seem to get the quick release on the rear wheel tight enough so that the wheel wouldn't shift and rub against the chainstays when I'd stand up and pedal hard. Now when I see a decent bike frame without a derailleur hanger I think "braze one on", or relegate to IGH.

Another thing that I avoid is black anodized parts. Working in an LBS in the 80's the cycle of black anodizing was in. Unless you were very careful assembling the bike a small scratch would scream out at you - the metal is silver colored under that black anodization. To this day I avoid black anodized parts.

With regards to bikes, what bugs you more than it bugs most people?
If the derailleur claw was attached properly (with the small bolt tightened with loc-tite), and the rear axle (either nutted or with a proper internal cam QR) was properly tightened, there was never a problem. the two bikes I owned the longest (and one I still own) had claws and they never loosened or pivoted, and definitely the wheels never slipped, even when I reached a period of Clyde territory.

What I disliked about the claw was it was a marker of a lower end of a bike line, especially as forged dropouts with hangers began began to appear on more and more entry level bikes.

Now to the black parts... AGREED!!! I hate black parts to this day. It was part of the reason I bought my current bike, with all silver or very light metallic gray group (Shimano) components. Why? (1) I am not Batman or a ninja, and (2) even though a new steel bike with SiS shifting and brake levers, and cantilever rim brakes, and (3) I hated the scratches and chainwear look. I still wanted it to be traditional in look. I also do not like black sidewall tires, and the search for tan sidewall tires turned up Rene Herse, nee Compass, tires, which are my favorites.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 01-04-21 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-04-21, 05:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle

- over-rotated drop bars and/or sky hoods. Screams poor fit (or wrong bar type), and refusal to do something more appropriate (get a shorter stem or (better yet) a frame with proper top tube length, or transition to upright type bars, etc).
- Overweight cyclists in super tight lycra on aero carbon bikes. I mean, really?
- People who ride MUP's in full tri-bullet mode
- People who will not call/signal a pass on MUP's (or on the road for that matter). Simple courtesy and good safety measure. Group rides excepted, of course.
- low cadence mashers
- poor form, specifically riding with knees splayed out and feet cockeyed on pedals. Just looks goofy as hell. I'll add unnecessary head bobbing to the list.
- noisy drivetrain
- calling downtube shifters "suicide shifters". who started that?
- deep dish rims on lugged steel-framed bikes, unless they are proper vintage aero rims on a time trial bike from the era
- electronic shifting. I know folks who swear by it, but I see it as unnecessary technological complication on what should be a simple, functional machine

I feel better now.
Oh good, here we go again.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21853802-post23.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/21853845-post27.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/21854230-post61.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/21854477-post86.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/21858694-post274.html

It bugs me when people think they know how I should set up my bike.
Old 01-04-21, 05:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Funny thing, and I wonder if others here have experienced this - more than once I've come down the road on my bicycle and passed by motorcyclists who have extended the wave that I used to get and return when I rode a motorcycle. There is a commonality in that car and truck motorists often fail to look out for two wheeled road users. Anyone else?
Yep
Old 01-04-21, 05:44 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle

<<< snip - poor form, specifically riding with knees splayed out and feet cockeyed on pedals. Just looks goofy as hell. I'll add unnecessary head bobbing to the list... >>>
That part of the quote resurrected a memory from deep in the memory banks:

Back when I was fresh out of college and rode on club training rides, when we saw a group of riders ahead or coming towards us, especially if on a similar ride, we would form a pace line and ride with knees splayed and feet as cockeyed as allowed with clips and straps, especially if passing, and wave, while the last person would bob up and down on the bars like they could not keep up. It became an amusing routine for a number of riding groups in the area for a few weeks that year. One guy in one of the other groups would put his "leather hairnet" helmet over his face like a catchers mitt.
Old 01-04-21, 05:55 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
I was pointing out to a friend that his time was off on his odometer by 5 minutes. He said he liked it that way because it was the only thing fast on his bike.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-04-21, 06:11 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 251 Posts
I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws. While touring down Hwy 1 in California when I was 18, I had a couple of flats. Getting the wheel back in with these things is difficult - they seemed to always want to rotate and stop the hub from going in. In addition, I couldn't seem to get the quick release on the rear wheel tight enough so that the wheel wouldn't shift and rub against the chainstays when I'd stand up and pedal hard. Now when I see a decent bike frame without a derailleur hanger I think "braze one on", or relegate to IGH.

Another thing that I avoid is black anodized parts. Working in an LBS in the 80's the cycle of black anodizing was in. Unless you were very careful assembling the bike a small scratch would scream out at you - the metal is silver colored under that black anodization. To this day I avoid black anodized parts.

GEEZ, this thread has legs. It'll take me a while to sift through it all. But the OP above:

Black anodizing I like, small scratches I just cover with a black sharpie. Where I hate it is CHAINRINGS, because the anodizing wears off in about a day and then there is no fixing it. If you want black, anodized it, then machine the teeth area so they stay silver.

Depends what you mean by derailleur claws.

My 1989 Cannondale rear derailleur mount is integral with the right dropout. Works fine, but they later introduced a bolt-on replaceable derailleur hanger in case it gets broken off, that's smart.

My Dahon folder has zero rear derailleur hanger as it uses Dahon's "compact" rear derailleur that bolts to a big hole in the chainstay forward of the axle; a) Shifts crappy. b) Make it a BEAR to remove and replace the rear wheel, it blocks the axle, I have to remove the right nut and it barely squeaks out. c) $60 + tax and shipping for a replacement for the piece of JUNK. Thus, I found a great Shimano derailleur with claw mount that secures under the axle nut, with a divot on the inside to keep it aligned with the dropout slot, and works fantastic and has a longer cage* to accommodate a triple crank, $15 retail. But loosening the axle nut means that falls off to the side during tire repairs (there's no threaded hole on the frame for the small securing screw), thus my preference is to not take the wheel off, just turn the bike upside down, half-dismount the tire on the non-drive side, pull out the tube, patch the hole, put it all back together.

* (above) That brings me to my other pet peeve: The Dahon has a very oversize seat tube, very non-standard, so to mount a front derailleur I needed to spend $30 on an adapter to clamp around the seat tube to hold a road front derailleur. They should have put a braze-on there.

Further, Dahon should have made the frame fold around the chain side, keeping the oily drivetrain between the two frame halves, like a Brompton, inside of folding to the left and the drivetrain being exposed to get anything it touches oily.

More dirt: A formal recall on parts and the replacement you get is worse than the one it replaced. It may be safer, but they use production quality rejects to satisfy the recall so the part is off and doesn't function properly.
Old 01-04-21, 06:14 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Collecting. It's like not putting mileage on a car to preserve it...for the next guy.

A bicycle is an 'it', you know like 'item'.
Old 01-04-21, 06:37 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The point was not to criticize motorcyclists as much as it was to make a point that there is a difference between being called a "cyclist" or a "biker" - if you lived in my neighborhood and had your windows rattle from the Harleys passing by, you may understand my feelings a little better.

I have absolutely nothing against the mode of transportation - I just don't get why it needs to impose itself on anyone's ability to hear/think/etc.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Uh oh...
"bikers..." 1. When you are broken down on the side of the road, more bikers will help you than not. Depends on the stereotype they see in you.
"rides a machine....totally unnecessary noise...." I agree. I prefer a quiet motorcycle.
Old 01-04-21, 06:55 PM
plittle2005

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

If it has not been mentioned yet....Down Tube Shifters! Have to take one hand off the bars and shift your CG....Why? It's like a Chicago mobster having to use a bolt-action Tommy gun!
Old 01-04-21, 07:29 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
The older C&V "bros" who won't deign to ride anything other than a particular model of a certain brand from an exact year made from a very definite steel alloy. "I have a Pampogano Funkochento Pro Corsa Potenza Brava from 1977 that I picked up at a garage sale for $12 and it's the best bike ever and I won't ride anything else and you people are stupid and genetically inferior because I have this bike and you don't. Eff yeah!" and there seems to be too many of them on BF.
Was that me? Now I feel bad.
Old 01-04-21, 07:38 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
I don't like cycling being referred to "biking" because it leads to me being called a "biker", which I absolutely HATE being called. Nothing against bikers - I'm just not into motorcycles and any connotation referring to someone who wears leather, has tattoos and rides a machine that makes a lot of totally unnecessary noise (at least here in the States)!

I also get extremely irked by teens/adults riding on the sidewalk - it isn't called a "sidepedal", so stay on the street and leave that practice to small children! ...and don't even get me started on idiots riding against the flow of auto traffic!!
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Uh oh...

I think the last survey I read put the Harley rider at an almost identical demographic with a Volvo owner.

But anyway.
Cyclists are skinny and wear spandex. Bikers are fat and wear leather. Both are dead sexy.

btw, nothing startles me more than being passed by a motorcycle. Probably bugs me more than most people. Wonder where I can rant about that.
Old 01-04-21, 07:48 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Hello, my name is Velo Mule and I have a problem. I saw this thread and despite knowing that I have issues, I ignored it. I even checked out this thread a few times to see how things were progressing. Well, I have a bike related issues that bug me. It doesn't just bug me, it bother the heck out of me. It gets me all worked up and want to rant. I want to bend something.

Straight forks. I am fine with them when they are carbon fiber, but on a bike with a steel fork, it is just wrong. I meant to say that "I think it is wrong". Forks should have a curve. I understand that to get from the fork crown to the fork end you could either make a straight path or a curved path, however that curved path has so many benefits and just plain looks good. It looks elegant. It looks like something that was planned and then carried out by a skilled builder.

Every time I see a straight steel fork, I just want to get a conduit bender and tweak those things. I look at bikes all the time and there are some nice new bikes out there, but if it has a straight fork, I not only don't like it, I question the designer or builder to the point that I would loose respect for that builder. I know that is not fair or reasonable. They may have some reason to use it other than it saves a bunch of money in tooling or having to buy it from a manufacturer that has making curved forks down to a science. To me, it seem like straight forks are a shortcut and has the added benefit that they may resemble a more expensive carbon fiber fork.

Would you eat your food off of a fork that was flat, with no curve? In both cases the curve is there for a reason.

It is my peeve. I am trying to control it and admitting it openly will hopefully help me.

Thank you, for reading this, I think, with your understanding, I will be able to at least control this well of energy that I get from seeing straight steel forks.
Sorry, (not really sorry, but you know...). I gotta disagree. A straight bladed fork, that tapers down to a pencil point at the dropout, is to my eyes one of the sexiest bike parts/design elements there ever was or will ever be. Especially on a mountain bike with a sloping top tube and pencil thin stays. Think Brodie or DeKerf, mid-90’s time frame. Oh man that really melts my butter!
Old 01-04-21, 08:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Thread is "bike stuff that bugs you..." And the op led with black anodized parts.

And how many folks followed with "people that..."?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-04-21, 08:07 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

I also get extremely irked by teens/adults riding on the sidewalk - it isn't called a "sidepedal", so stay on the street and leave that practice to small children! ...and don't even get me started on idiots riding against the flow of auto traffic!!

Not to mention - riding on a sidewalk is actually more dangerous at intersections. Think a car has no idea where you are.....not try to cross at a sidewalk crossing. Recipe for getting just destroyed.
Old 01-04-21, 08:19 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
bikeforum replies containing every single one of the large photos in the original post when it's totally unnecessary. trimming is a considerate thing
Old 01-04-21, 08:54 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by plittle2005
If it has not been mentioned yet....Down Tube Shifters! Have to take one hand off the bars and shift your CG....Why? It's like a Chicago mobster having to use a bolt-action Tommy gun!
Bolt action Tommy guns still work well!
Tim
Old 01-04-21, 09:37 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Thread is "bike stuff that bugs you..." And the op led with black anodized parts.

And how many folks followed with "people that..."?
”bikes that are ridden by people that......”

1. Bikes with gunked-up jockey wheels, FDs, RDs, calipers, BBs, and chains with oblivious owner/riders.
2. Bikes ridden by people who can’t be bothered to bring a dime or enter the convenience store, but are perfectly willing to partake of your Gatorade, ice, breakfast pizza and late-ride beer.
3. Empty CO2s that should have been tossed.
4. Bikes that are slower than they are on Strava.
5. Bikes that are faster than they are on Strava.
Old 01-05-21, 09:54 AM
Fujifool

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Now you've done it. I thought those other threads were controversial, but this, this is not acceptable. Have you no decency towards mankind?
i bought some tape recently, it suggested bottom to top winding. It looks stupid (to me) to have shiney tape in the center.. It wound top to bottom just fine.
Old 01-05-21, 10:01 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Nah, your bikes fit within my aesthetic limits Or at least to the extent that I can appreciate the functionality. Plus, my trigger lessens the more a bike leans towards Grant Petersen's style vs a sportier type of bike.
I'm talking about the impractically high bar rotation/hood location that essentially negates the usefulness of the drops - like 45 degrees or more. Below that makes some sense on some level, even if it looks weird in my mind from 30-45 degrees.

All good

Last edited by canyoneagle; 01-05-21 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For canyoneagle:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.