Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V people indoors.....and the arms race rant.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V people indoors.....and the arms race rant.

Old 01-01-21, 08:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Impressive. Especially since there are no wheels on the bike.
Yeah, I had to pull the rear and mail it to a friend.
Old 01-01-21, 08:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by due ruote
Saw a CL post today for “free motion rollers”. Has anyone tried this? I am not inclined to increase the roller footprint, but I like the concept. Lots of other examples on YouTube.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...famp_page=true
They are F... ing great.
Period.

Inside Ride are very good.
I think Tacx has come out with some.

I found another set of the Inside Ride here for sale, and they’re burning a hole in my mind.
Old 01-04-21, 12:20 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Ok, my curiosity was running wild and I had some old skate wheels from the 80’s, and a garage full of woodworking tools. Here’s the result.

It works fine. The travel when I ride them is minimal - maybe 1/4” back and forth. Probably around an inch when I stand. But it feels like enough to make a difference. I don’t feel it in my quads as much when I stand, and first impression is there is less “roller fatigue”. A pretty simple project. Btw I noticed while I was riding that none of the four center wheels were in contact with the rails, so I removed them.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 01-04-21, 04:08 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Like it. Might do this with my Kettler rollers too.
Old 01-04-21, 04:29 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Ok, my curiosity was running wild and I had some old skate wheels from the 80’s, and a garage full of woodworking tools. Here’s the result.

It works fine. The travel when I ride them is minimal - maybe 1/4” back and forth. Probably around an inch when I stand. But it feels like enough to make a difference. I don’t feel it in my quads as much when I stand, and first impression is there is less “roller fatigue”. A pretty simple project. Btw I noticed while I was riding that none of the four center wheels were in contact with the rails, so I removed them.
That looks a lot better than the plywood examples on YouTube. The motion simply makes the rollers "Robbie Rideable," whereas before, not. I now have two sets of "regular" rollers (a foldable parabolic plastic Nashbar and a regular metal Nashbar) and a set of the Inside Ride.

So if anyone feels so inclined...
Old 01-04-21, 05:19 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Sweet looking DYI examples. Do you need a preexisting set of rollers? I don't see any instructions for making your own.
Old 01-04-21, 08:40 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by seypat
Sweet looking DYI examples. Do you need a preexisting set of rollers? I don't see any instructions for making your own.
I posted an Instructable link at #100. But the one I made is simpler. I just used 2x4 lumber, ripped it to about 2” on a table saw, and made a simple frame. The 2” height is just tall enough to get the roller legs off the floor. The plywood on the ends adds a bit of structural stability and gave me room to attach the tie downs for bungies. That’s it for the frame. The length is 6-1/2’, which is what I saw suggested on a couple videos.
I had the rollers (a cheap Performance unit), and I had the skate wheels, but you can find cheap sets on eBay. I took the rollers apart and drilled for the wheel bolts on a drill press, but you wouldn’t have to do that - a hand drill would work fine.
Old 01-04-21, 08:55 PM
seypat

I posted an Instructable link at #100. But the one I made is simpler. I just used 2x4 lumber, ripped it to about 2” on a table saw, and made a simple frame. The 2” height is just tall enough to get the roller legs off the floor. The plywood on the ends adds a bit of structural stability and gave me room to attach the tie downs for bungies. That’s it for the frame. The length is 6-1/2’, which is what I saw suggested on a couple videos.
I had the rollers (a cheap Performance unit), and I had the skate wheels, but you can find cheap sets on eBay. I took the rollers apart and drilled for the wheel bolts on a drill press, but you wouldn’t have to do that - a hand drill would work fine.
I saw the link and went to it. You answered my question. I need to find some rollers or maybe make some.
Old 01-04-21, 08:59 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Saw a CL post today for “free motion rollers”. Has anyone tried this? I am not inclined to increase the roller footprint, but I like the concept. Lots of other examples on YouTube.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...famp_page=true
I've ridden rollers enough to ride no-hands, etc., and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the benefit of the extra complexity is.
Are people flinging their weight fore and aft and coming off of the rollers, and this makes it less likely?
Or is there something else going on?

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-04-21, 09:16 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I've ridden rollers enough to ride no-hands, etc., and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the benefit of the extra complexity is.
Are people flinging their weight fore and aft and coming off of the rollers, and this makes it less likely?
Or is there something else going on?

Steve in Peoria
I was like you, which is why I decided to try it. I already had most of the bits on hand and it was an easy evening’s work.
The effect is pretty subtle. The wheels are just rocking back and forth a few degrees, for the most part. The only time I feel a substantial difference is standing, which always felt a tad sketchy on stationary rollers.
So I wouldn’t call it a must-do game changer, but it does feel like incremental improvement. Ymmv.
Old 01-04-21, 09:26 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

You want some?
Old 01-04-21, 09:52 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
I was like you, which is why I decided to try it. I already had most of the bits on hand and it was an easy evening’s work.
The effect is pretty subtle. The wheels are just rocking back and forth a few degrees, for the most part. The only time I feel a substantial difference is standing, which always felt a tad sketchy on stationary rollers.
So I wouldn’t call it a must-do game changer, but it does feel like incremental improvement. Ymmv.
so they help when you stand while riding rollers?
... but why would you stand while riding rollers?.... and I'm pretty sure the answer isn't "to get over the next hill".

I honestly don't recall ever standing while riding rollers, but perhaps I did??

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-04-21, 10:32 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
so they help when you stand while riding rollers?
... but why would you stand while riding rollers?.... and I'm pretty sure the answer isn't "to get over the next hill".

I honestly don't recall ever standing while riding rollers, but perhaps I did??

Steve in Peoria
My rear is much happier when I stand occasionally, if only briefly.
Old 01-05-21, 05:39 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You want some?
Thanks for the offer. There are some on the local selling platforms. What are the benefits? Are they fitness related or more about increasing your bike handling skills?
Old 01-05-21, 06:35 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Thanks for the offer. There are some on the local selling platforms. What are the benefits? Are they fitness related or more about increasing your bike handling skills?
PM topic, but both, and a bit more.
Old 01-05-21, 11:03 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
An example of simplicity but these rollers are suitable for purpose. I ride these for bike handling skills - improve how smooth my pedaling is, increase comfort with higher cadences, apply power throughout the crank cycle, and maintain a steady line. These are the advertised benefits and I think I do actually get those. I'm sure it's all developing muscle memory that I can use on the street. Cardio is not bad either and, of course, just sitting the saddle and leaning on the bars prevents those very painful restarts in the spring if I just do nuttin all winter.

This roller set is an old Kreitler all aluminum 4" unit. I have the front set just ahead of the axle. I built the step platform you see in the center so start/stop is easy. I developed a way to "lock" the sliding door in place to provide a bump stop on that side and the door jam is the right bump stop. No reason not to use these as falling from a bike that's 6 inches higher off the ground than normal is not what I need. I obtained a separate 700c wheel and adjusted the OLD so it slides right into the DOs for the winter. An old worn road tire is also good enough. I never see any scrubbed off rubber on the floor.

As mentioned above, staring ahead of the bike is important to me. I have a dot on the wall about 12 feet ahead of the front wheel and I start out staring at that and concentrating. After a few minutes I can let my gaze wander but I start with a fixed stare. CD playing loud. Crank away smoothly for 6 or 7 tunes then call it quits. Neither my shop nor that dark room behind the bike is heated so I don't need a fan. I need to cycle to stay warm. This all goes back into storage come April.

Old 01-05-21, 01:24 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
I haven't put up the trainer yet. I stopped riding outside three weeks ago after the first layer of road salt was applied.
Since then I've been walking everyday.
Found twenty $ in the road this morning, so that's going towards some new tires.
Old 01-05-21, 01:55 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
This is my zwifting setup (excuse the mess):

A projector is displaying the Zwift on a wall ~15-20' away.

Last edited by himespau; 01-05-21 at 01:58 PM.