Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heart Rate

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 02:53 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I think the definition per Coggan is about an hour. Most of the tests were 40 minutes and GC extrapolated off them. I did a 3+ hour Zwift race and averaged 278 watts in the Fall last year. I am not fit right now, so, I have no idea what it would be today.

I think it is weird that I peak out at 145 bpm and the fitter I get the lower the HR goes. I just accept I am a diesel
278 for 180 minutes is freakishly good! What was your HR during that race? When I do long hard pushes with higher watts like that my HR will really climb. Actually if I ride for 3 hours, even at a lower rate like 200ftp, my HR eventually drifts up and the effort becomes much more difficult. With 278 over 3 hours I'd guess your FTP would be in the high 300's range.

Hell, my best 90 minutes of power was 250 and that was on a climb! No way I could have done another 25+ watts and for double that time frame. Sheesh.

You easily have a Cat 1 racing FTP you'd be good in time trials and longer road races where you could just pull away from people.

How much training do you do? Sounds like you probably do 80/20 training?
Old 07-06-21, 03:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

And as far as I can tell, HRmax is NOT a function of condition, so having a HRmax of 193 at that age is not being any kind of physiological marvel. It's just a data point.
It is and it isn't. It is probably a somewhat fixed quantity, but you need to have the trained muscular and neuromuscular capacity to put that much demand on your heart. The other thing is that it's easier produce a high HR late in a workout because of fatigue, dehydration etc., but you have to have the legs to make it happen. I think this is the main reason why fit people appear to have higher HRmax.

I am Medicare years-old and regularly hit numbers in the 170s on steep climbs in hot weather.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-06-21, 03:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Here's a recent study, looking at real world data, and comparing that to a number of different age-based predictive formulas for HRmax. The basic conclusion is they all lack useful predictive value.
thanks for this article. That is the sort of stuff i like to read rather than the stuff you find in any various cycling or running websites. i just can't recall where i read what i mentioned. the summary chart really demonstrated what a load of horse s*** the formulas are. i always figured that they were not that bad because mine fit in pretty well and i assumed that i was one of those "most people" i had read about.
Old 07-06-21, 03:20 PM
spelger

Perhaps it means you could push harder if you wanted to?

Also, as I understand it, HRmax is not a function of most of the factors you suggest. It is not something one can change with training, either. I do know that the HR I reach while putting out a particular power or speed is subject to all of those.

The first time I hit my HRmax, about 20 years ago,I was riding in a fast group ride going about 30, and felt so good that I pulled out of the group and sprinted ahead of them, uphill, into the wind. I just blew past them, pushing as hard as I could and suddenly it was like I hit a wall and my legs turned to jelly, and I couldn't do it anymore. 193 bpm at about 43 years old. I hit 191 5 years later - felt exactly the same. So, not only far off of 220 - age, but also the linear 1bpm/year doesn't work, either.
i'll test that after work todya. i have a little 100ish foot hill to climb and i'll climb the heck out of it. supposed to be 100 today, will it have an effect or not? hard to say.
Old 07-06-21, 03:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
278 for 180 minutes is freakishly good! What was your HR during that race? When I do long hard pushes with higher watts like that my HR will really climb. Actually if I ride for 3 hours, even at a lower rate like 200ftp, my HR eventually drifts up and the effort becomes much more difficult. With 278 over 3 hours I'd guess your FTP would be in the high 300's range.

Hell, my best 90 minutes of power was 250 and that was on a climb! No way I could have done another 25+ watts and for double that time frame. Sheesh.

You easily have a Cat 1 racing FTP you'd be good in time trials and longer road races where you could just pull away from people.

How much training do you do? Sounds like you probably do 80/20 training?
I found the file, my average HR was 131 BPM. I am just a tall guy. Never more than Cat 3. Most Cat 1 of my size have FTP closer to 400 watts. Plus, I am old.

Pre-Covid, I rode 10-16,000 miles per year. Lots of volume. Mostly steady rides in zone 2. I also do VO2 max type intervals on hills, 5 minutes of pain and ride back down and do it again. I'll also do 6 x 20 intervals at Sweetspot or just below that (high tempo) but never do intervals to often. I was a Polarized guy but it stopped working for me, so, I add the 6 x 20 and also Tabata intervals to mix it up and those helped.
Old 07-06-21, 03:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Riding in the upper 170s is easy & i can ride a while, but it takes a good ride to get my 183 max, & it isn't going to be for too long. When I'm not doing anything the resting rate seems to be at around 45.
Old 07-06-21, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
thanks for this article. That is the sort of stuff i like to read rather than the stuff you find in any various cycling or running websites. i just can't recall where i read what i mentioned. the summary chart really demonstrated what a load of horse s*** the formulas are. i always figured that they were not that bad because mine fit in pretty well and i assumed that i was one of those "most people" i had read about.
It is amazing how often something poorly supported becomes part of Canon.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 03:28 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 490 Posts
i think that is where you are wrong, my understanding is that the formula is/was based on most people.
Here's a NYT article that discusses how the formula came to be, and the population that was used to derive it.
The common formula was devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell, then a young physician in the federal Public Health Service and his mentor, Dr. Samuel Fox, who led the service's program on heart disease. They were trying to determine how strenuously heart disease patients could exercise.

In preparation for a medical meeting , Dr. Haskell culled data from about 10 published studies in which people of different ages had been tested to find their maximum heart rates.

The subjects were never meant to be a representative sample of the population, said Dr. Haskell, who is now a professor of medicine at Stanford. Most were under 55 and some were smokers or had heart disease.

On an airplane traveling to the meeting, Dr. Haskell pulled out his data and showed them to Dr. Fox. ''We drew a line through the points and I said, 'Gee, if you extrapolate that out it looks like at age 20, the heart rate maximum is 200 and at age 40 it's 180 and at age 60 it's 160,'' Dr. Haskell said.

At that point, Dr. Fox suggested a formula: maximum heart rate equals 220 minus age.
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-06-21, 03:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

i'll test that after work todya. i have a little 100ish foot hill to climb and i'll climb the heck out of it. supposed to be 100 today, will it have an effect or not? hard to say.
I'm thinking yes. I find I'm able to ride harder and at lower HR in temps between 60 and 80 than over 80, especially over 90.

Old 07-06-21, 03:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It is amazing how often something poorly supported becomes part of Canon.
It reminds me of the "you must drink 8 glasses of water per day" mantra.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-06-21, 03:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Each time blood is pumped out of your left ventricle, it is a pulse. How many pulses per minute is the rate that your heart beats. As we get older, out maximum heart rate slows. The formula often given for max HR is 220-age. So, 220-63 would say my max should be 157 beats per minute but that is not my max. The formula is crude.
Last year, I was 57 yrs old, so the formula predicts a max HR of 163. b/c there were no races due to Covid, I did a couple gravel time trials: first was 1:43 at an avg HR of 164, second was 2:27 at an avg HR of 162. And I occasionally hit a max of 186.

So, yeah, that "formula" is whacked.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-06-21, 04:02 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by RChung
Here's a NYT article that discusses how the formula came to be, and the population that was used to derive it.
i guess this is similar to why there really are no dumb questions, often the statement "everybody knows that" is often not far behind by when in reality not everyone knows. here 10 studies turned into "most people."

thanks for the link. i had seen in on the web but dismissed it because it was not a medical journal, lesson learned.
Old 07-06-21, 04:16 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
lol

I'm in my 50's. Short rides I avg 180+ bpm. Long rides 5+ hours I avg 160+

In either case I'm likely to exceed 200 at some point on the ride. I only know because of the HR monitor - I never feel any ill effects.

Resting HR is high 40's/low 50's. I can hit 120 walking to the kitchen. HR tables are useless for me.
Old 07-06-21, 04:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
From the HR data I’ve gotten from using our elliptical machine and when I’ve borrowed a Fitbit from someone in the family and used it biking (and it decided to actually detect my HR), I’d say the canonical calculation of HR zones for my age rings true to how I feel when working out. Nothing unusual.

Otto
Old 07-06-21, 04:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
In my early 30's - when I was the fittest I have ever been - I saw a max of 207, and could ride extended climbs at 192.

20 years later, my max is 189.
Old 07-06-21, 04:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I posted this in the 50+ subforum, but it's worth reposting here. If you're one of those people for whom the 220-age formula underestimates your MaxHR (like me), this helps demonstrate how you won't be pushing yourself hard enough to evoke the best training response. That is, you'll be cheating yourself:

This is from a ramp test I did where the target wattage increases every minute. You go till failure, so it is truly a max effort. You can see how the red line (HR) and the magenta line (power) ramp up. I drew a line where my HR crossed the 220-age predicted maximum. If I had quit there, and set my workout zones accordingly, I'd have left a whole lotta watts on the table.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-06-21, 04:45 PM
zilauk

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am a new town rider and I notice that my heart rate is a little bit high when I ride. Do you know if this will change in time when my body gets used to riding? thanks!
Old 07-06-21, 06:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by zilauk
I am a new town rider and I notice that my heart rate is a little bit high when I ride. Do you know if this will change in time when my body gets used to riding? thanks!
That depends on many things, including what 'a little high' means. If you're older and haven't been exercising, you should probably talk to your doctor.

Old 07-06-21, 06:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
My Cardiologist sent me for treadmill stress test with orders that I go full max as hard as possible.

I was running on the treadmill and the PA says, when we get to 130 BPM,we will be stopping the test (220-Age formula). I say, did you read Dr. XYX orders, he wants me to go to the max that I can. Three times back and forth. Eventually, after a lot of wrangling, he let me continue to 183 bpm and he *****ed the whole time that I was putting them behind schedule.

I tend to be more of a diesel. My HR on the bike rarely hits 160 bpm. I'll make around 250 watts at 125 bpm and threshold of around 310 watts is around 145 bpm when fit. Seems odd but it is what it is.

I'm sorry, but did you just indicate you're 90 years old? 220-age=130?
Old 07-06-21, 06:58 PM
spelger

well plans changed a bit so i had to nix the hill. i did ride what i considered all out on a 2 mile stretch, hard as i could on the bars, then sprinted like a mad man for the last 150 yards or so. i started to sit because i was getting tired but then got right back up and sprinted quite hard. heart rate peaked at 153. it was quite hot today.

it is usually my lungs that make me slow down. must be that hot/thin/dry reno air. 101F, 6% relative humidity.
Old 07-06-21, 07:00 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by caloso
I posted this in the 50+ subforum, but it's worth reposting here. If you're one of those people for whom the 220-age formula underestimates your MaxHR (like me), this helps demonstrate how you won't be pushing yourself hard enough to evoke the best training response. That is, you'll be cheating yourself:

This is from a ramp test I did where the target wattage increases every minute. You go till failure, so it is truly a max effort. You can see how the red line (HR) and the magenta line (power) ramp up. I drew a line where my HR crossed the 220-age predicted maximum. If I had quit there, and set my workout zones accordingly, I'd have left a whole lotta watts on the table.
i recall this image from that thread. i meant to ask, is this an FTP ramp test or a MaxHR ramp test? i've done the FTP ramp test in zwift and read about a maxHR ramp test, they were essentially the same.
Old 07-06-21, 07:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm sorry, but did you just indicate you're 90 years old? 220-age=130?
No.

The treadmill formula is a percentage of MHR.
Old 07-06-21, 08:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
No.

The treadmill formula is a percentage of MHR.

Oh. I thought it was what you fed baby treadmills.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-06-21, 09:31 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
When I got my bike computer(Wahoo Element Roam) I decided to get a Wahoo TICKR X heart rate monitor also. I never really used heart rate on rides. I just used my Apple watch to track my rides before. I am 44 years old. I noticed that I start to get fatigued when my heart rate gets up over 180bpm range. I know the info is good to have but I am not really sure if I am limiting myself with it. During my ride if I notice my heart rate climbing up near that 180bpm range I find myself slowing down a bit to try to keep it below that mark. At the end of my ride I will push myself and not worry about it really. I guess I need to research a better way to use the info. I am using it to pace myself so I don't burn myself out too early into a ride.

One thing I noticed with the heart rate monitor is the affects of caffeine before a ride. After work one day I was feeling a little sluggish. I decided to buy a energy drink and chug it before my ride. I don't know if me being tired was the bigger factor or the energy drink but I had a hard time keeping my heart rate in check. For almost the entire 15mile ride my heart rate was high. Hovering around the 180bpm mark. Now I just try to get hydrated and maybe eat a snack. No more energy drinks before rides lol.
Old 07-06-21, 09:39 PM
caloso

i recall this image from that thread. i meant to ask, is this an FTP ramp test or a MaxHR ramp test? i've done the FTP ramp test in zwift and read about a maxHR ramp test, they were essentially the same.
FTP test. I still track HR on my rides, but mostly to track recovery response. I’ll use HRtss as calculated by Training Peaks on my CX or MTB where I don’t have a power meter, but I think it estimates a little high so I’ll manually adjust it down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.