Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V New York 5 BORO Survivors?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 12:46 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts

Hi, I know this is very subjective, but I think others here might have been in the same place I am. If anyone has done the ride, I'd appreciate your experience with its difficulty. I have been invited to do next year's (2022) NY 5 BORO Bike tour so I have plenty of time. My 2 main concerns are: the ride distance is pretty much at my limit these days, and just how steep is that Verrazano Climb? I have 53/42 rings with a 13-23 Regina CXS FW. (The FW came in a kit with different size cogs... of course I lost everything somehow and have been using it in its last configuration. The low cog has an A1 designation. I'm thinking of trying to find a 26T A1. Will the jump from 21 to 26 be too much? Can my Derailleur handle a 26? It's a PAT 84 Nuovo Record.
Back in the day, I could do relatively hilly century rides with that gearing - that was 35 years ago
Any advice from someone who participated would be greatly appreciated! Excuse the grime in this picture - needs a cleaning.

Old 08-06-21, 12:39 PM
Bianchi84

Nobody? How about gearing question in general? Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 08-06-21, 01:39 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
I did it 3 times, it was awesome. The fast guys break out quick, so you can go at your pace. Usually the first 5 miles is the sketchiest, until things thin out. The Verrazano is pretty steep, at least for me a flatlander, still no troubles on a 1980’s 9 speed DeRosa. A very fun descent. If you can’t make the climb, they used to have trucks that would pick up the straglers.
Old 08-06-21, 02:04 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
I did it once back in the early 80s and I swore I would never do it again. It was a mess, even though I got out in front with a good group early in the ride. We got to the VZ before they had time to cover the expansion joints, so we had to stop and walk over them. I also destroyed my rear wheel. I only did so I could say I biked over the VZ. I did it on a 6 speed rear freewheel. My lowest gear was a 42-21. I was in my 20s at the time.

Last edited by gearbasher; 08-06-21 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-07-21, 07:47 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I've not done the ride, but I can add my two cents on your gearing on the Regina CX:

As you mention your second largest sprocket is 21T. And I'm guessing the next sprocket outbound is a 18T or 19T.

The 21T is also an A1. I'd eliminate that sprocket and move the 23T to its position and then add the 26T as your low gear.

Your RD can handle the 26T. A new chain is probably called for because it will need to be longer.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 08-07-21, 01:46 PM
Bianchi84

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I've not done the ride, but I can add my two cents on your gearing on the Regina CX:

As you mention your second largest sprocket is 21T. And I'm guessing the next sprocket outbound is a 18T or 19T.

The 21T is also an A1. I'd eliminate that sprocket and move the 23T to its position and then add the 26T as your low gear.

Your RD can handle the 26T. A new chain is probably called for because it will need to be longer.
Great suggestions; I wouldn't have thought of that cog switch. It makes sense!
Old 08-07-21, 05:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I did it way back in ‘78 or ‘79 when I was in high school with our local cycling club. I didn’t know squat about bikes and gearing and just rode the Royce a Union 10 speed I had at he time. I had a blast aside from worrying about loosing sight of at least a few of the adults so my younger brother and I didn’t get lost.

It was a fabulous event though all those people everyone from recreational riders to racing guys.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 08-09-21, 12:28 PM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
I did it once on my old motobecane and once on an 80s trek. Who knew that the BQE could have two hour traffic jams due to construction even when cars are banned? If you have to walk or stop and go on the Verranzano, you will have plenty of company.
Old 08-09-21, 02:19 PM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I can't offer much advice about your gearing, but I can offer some advice on "tactics". Try to get there EARLY. You don't want to be stuck in the middle or rear of startup, and having to deal with stragglers. Also, you'll be forced to start and stop more. If you're too far back, you could get diverted and miss the Astoria loop as they close down sections of the tour. The 59th Street Bridge is a shorter, steeper climb than the Verrazano, and the tour directors often stop groups of riders at the bottom of the climb for crowd control, so you may lose all your momentum. As you get to the later parts of the tour, wind direction plays a key factor. You're on the BQE for something like 9 miles filled will lots of false plateaus - if the wind is blowing off the ocean it can tire you out. I believe they've removed the Belt Pkwy loop from the route, so that makes the VZ a shorter climb - wind direction being the determining factor. The keys are don't burn yourself out on the BQE and pace yourself on the VZ. The VZ is just a one mile climb. It is a flatland route, with a few climbs. That gearing might be a little too steep for me, but I have Bambi legs and no time for training rides.
Likes For wintermute:
Old 08-09-21, 02:46 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I did it back when I was a young punk, out front with all the Italian bikes, racers and wantabe racers. I was on a interesting bike with a Sturmey-Archer and two cogs. I couldn't get anyone else interested in going with me so that freed me up to set my own pace. That was probably around 1980. So, while I did it, it was too long ago to be relevant.

If I were to do it now, it would, of course, be completely different.

This was the bike I rode:

Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-09-21, 04:40 PM
Bianchi84

Thanks for everyone's replies! I was starting to question why I agreed to do it, but now I'm looking forward to it!
Old 08-09-21, 04:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Can my Derailleur handle a 26?
Probably not a problem. You'll find a bunch of threads where folks go up to 28t with their NR stuff.