Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding Electric Bikes (Recent Hype)

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Folding Electric Bikes (Recent Hype)

Old 07-24-21, 09:35 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 116 Posts
If you have a 80's Dahon as pictured, likely will be difficult to convert to a standard (modern) stem.
Probably get better suggestion if you post a picture of your Dahon, or seek advise in the Folding Bike forums.
Old 07-24-21, 04:23 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Lectric XP 2.0 Step-thru arrive today, ordered back in ARP 2021 for $899
The 20 x 3.0 tires doesn't feel as sluggish as fat tire.
The reach on the bike is longer than most folding bike that I've owned, I think the hidden battery is the reason.
I only had time to take it on a short 1/2 mile ride, 20 mph throttle speed limit, 5 level PAS, very similar to my other 20" fat tire folder.
I think it's a good value for the price.

Old 07-24-21, 05:00 PM
2old

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 258 Posts
That's what the front of my Dahon is like, and unless they made some sort of conversion system, it wouldn't be feasible to adapt a "standard" front end. Thought about sawing off the head tube and welding on a new one since it's steel, but too much work (for me), probably. That Lectric looks like a good deal.
Old 07-31-21, 05:22 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Put approx. 15 miles on the Lectric Step-thru, feels like a good compromise between the rugged, fat tire folding e-bike & narrower tire 20"x 2/125 tire folding e-bikes.
Difference in wheelbase & overall length makes the Lectric's ride feel more like a regular size bicycle with higher speed capability & well built to handle the extra stress.
It's a good value for the price, I'm still waiting for the front cargo rack to arrive from Lectric.

Old 09-03-21, 03:58 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Artin View Post
I'm looking to buy one soon... What would you look for in a folding electric bike when shopping for one?
I just bought a folding e-bike. Since I am on a budget and was looking at used bikes I could not afford to be too fussy. I would have preferred a 500 watt mid drive but I got a really good deal on this 350 watt rear hub and am satisfied with my purchase. The bike climbs hills well enough and the top speed is sufficient.

My non negotiable requirement was that I need a bike that folds and is rugged enough for daily use. And this bike delivers. It's very solid and no lightweight. And it can still fold and fit in the back seat of my truck.

It's not yet a daily driver because the range is insufficient. I'm only getting about 20 miles to a charge. This is beyond the control of the manufacturer IMO. Part of the problem is that my bike is geared too low. At top speed I can't pedal fast enough to keep up with the bike. Which means I"m letting the motor do all the work. From what I've read this is because manufacturers prefer freewheels to be more reliable. Riders who want a harder gear to go faster have to modify their bikes themselves. So before buying a bike I'd suggest looking into how it's geared and what mods are possible.

Going back to range the other feature I would like is the ability to run two or more batteries in parallel. I need to get at least one or two extra batteries to make this bike a daily driver. But running two batteries simultaneously gives you more miles per charge than running the batteries individually. And I also want the ability to charge both batteries simultaneously with a smart charger.

If I had my choice of new bikes I'd almost certainly go for one with dual batteries to give me that extra range. But I plan on adding that feature myself.
Old 09-04-21, 02:09 PM
Calsun

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
The advantage for the end user with a folding bike is that it comes completely assembled. Unpack it and unfold it and it is ready to ride. The disadvantage with the majority of e-bikes, folding and non folding ones, is their weight. I had bought two folding e-bikes that were Class II and had great range and power but each had 4" wide tires and weighed nearly 70 lbs or 140 lbs in total. The wide tires and the weight meant only a very few special platform type hitch mounted bike racks would work. Even with the 1UP rack I had to make modifications for the fat tires and modified a motorcycles ramp to use for loading the bikes. I sold them and bought non-folding ones that each weigh 27 lbs and still will be using the 1Up rack but without the fat tire modifications.

For RV use a concern is both the weight of the bikes and how to keep them from being stolen from the rack while the RV is parked for any period of time. There are measures one can take but they are not completely effective and so we will continue to use our standard road bikes with the motorhome. These bikes are covered by our regular insurance policies whereas the new e-bikes would cost us nearly $900 a year to insure against theft.