Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

One Set of Wheels, Two Sets of Tyres

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

One Set of Wheels, Two Sets of Tyres

Old 09-14-21, 02:34 PM
Champ340

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I've done it all, so here is my thoughts

a non tubeless tire and a non tubeless wheel are insanely easy to switch over. I forget how easy it can be until I use some of my older bikes
A tubeless tire and/or a tubeless wheel can be insanely (impossible for me) to switch over.

Since you use GP5000, the tubed version mounts super easy for me on a traditional hook rim (tubeless compatible)
The GP5000TL is impossible for me to mount on a slightly oversized hookless tubeless rim.
Both the tire and the rim combo make a huge difference on ease of changing (whether or not you use tubes).
Heck, with the right set, the hardest part is just pumping the tire back up to pressure.

I have 5 wheels, and it is super easy to change a wheel for the weekend. I'm not gonna change a tire for the weekend, but I do occasionally. More likely I'll change the tire for the season (faster tires for the summer, wider tougher treaded tires for the winter).

A really good compromise though, is just buying a front wheel. I use a 40mm front tire and the 32mm GP5000 combo a lot. Front wheels are fairly cheap (compared to the rear), and the front tire is where I need the volume & tread. Having two front wheels can take you a lot of places with very little hassle. If I'm gonna do an epic ride, I'll swap out the rear - but much of the time a 40mmF 32mmR rear is fine.
Hey mate. Thanks so much. That's a fantastic idea. I think I might just do that. Go out and get an additional front wheel.
Old 09-14-21, 03:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
When I bought my gravel bike, I somehow ended up with 2 sets of wheels. But I rarely swap. If I swap, it stays that way for a long time. Plenty of time that just swapping tires would have been fine.
Old 09-15-21, 07:09 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ340
Hey mate. Thanks so much. That's a fantastic idea. I think I might just do that. Go out and get an additional front wheel.
Sounds good.
I'll add, that since 90%+ of all my flats are on the rear (because - physics), I sometimes will still run a tube in the front (so I can easily change the tire season to season), but I'm always gonna have tubeless in the rear (on a tire that doesn't need more than 5 bar max).