Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Repairing SRAM / Avid bleed syringes

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-17-21, 02:01 PM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I have an old set of Avid bleed syringes that have been sitting for a few years. They wont draw any fluid. Most likely that black rubber fitting in the syringe has shrunk over time or from lack of proper cleaning. Can I get a replacement for it?

I tried to replace the tubing on the syringe. It seems to be 3/16" OD. Not sure on the ID. It's all corroded. I only had 1/4" OD tubing on hand. Still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure its the black rubber fitting that's bad.

I don't want to buy a new set of bleeding syringes, b/c I'm selling a bike that uses AVid Guide brakes - after that I'm strictly shimano brakes.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-21, 03:21 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
If it's just the syringe that's bad, you can replace it with any plastic syringe that has a luer lock fitting (the threaded bit) on the tip, which is the standard for any needle or tubing connection, so you can find them easily online or sometimes at pharmacies or medical supply stores. For example, here's a 60 mL for $1.50 online. link 30 ml is probably a better size for brake bleeding, but anything in the 25-60 ml range will work.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 09-17-21, 04:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Needs new.
Old 09-17-21, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Get the Park Tool or Jagwire Pro Bleed kit for DOT...way nicer and easy to use. Plus spending all that money on old plastic syringes just isn't sensible. I am all for trying to save stuff but sometimes old worn out tools are worn out and have had their lives.
Old 09-19-21, 11:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Get the new tool, this time clean it, sell it off. Or borrow, or buy used
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-20-21, 05:40 AM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by AeroGut
If it's just the syringe that's bad, you can replace it with any plastic syringe that has a luer lock fitting (the threaded bit) on the tip, which is the standard for any needle or tubing connection, so you can find them easily online or sometimes at pharmacies or medical supply stores. For example, here's a 60 mL for $1.50 online. link 30 ml is probably a better size for brake bleeding, but anything in the 25-60 ml range will work.
Great idea.

I'm going to give this a shot. My syringes are about 3/4" ID and 3 3/4" tall. That works out to about 1.66 cubic inches. Which is 27ml. So a 30ml luer lock syringe will do the job. I have some 1/8OD x 1/16ID scrap tubing from a gas leaf blower repair I did.

Found a pack of 10 30ML syringes on amazon for $7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RJTX8E1Z&psc=1
Old 10-02-21, 04:41 AM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by AeroGut
Update --> I ordered a pack of luer lock syringes from amazon. $7 for 10 syringes. I replaced the tubing with some scrap gas leaf blower tubing I had laying around. I used the old parts from my bleed kit. The syringes worked like a charm!!!

This time around, I'm cleaning the syringes out with warm water after I use them.

Thanks again AeroGut
Likes For lyle.coop:
Old 10-03-21, 08:07 AM
AeroGut

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I think the SRAM recommendation is to flush the syringes with ispropyl alcohol when you're done to make sure you get all the DOT fluid out.