Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear gear not going full range

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 11:25 AM
kalli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey! 1st time poster here.

I'm a mechanic by trade (cars), so I know my way around bolts, but I'm not an expert when it comes to bikes. this one has me stumped
if I open both limit screws in rear derailleur, put the rear selector gear into 7 (numerical highest, it has distinct clicks and its definetly 7), hook up the cable, adjust the cable so it's in 7th but just to go into 6 (noisy already), then if I go from there towards first it goes only up to 3rd.
with a lot of patience and indexing I got it so it can even go from 7 (noisy, nearly 6) all the way up to 2nd (just about). but no way into 1st
if I put it in 7th I can very easily switch all gears (7 to 1 to 7) by pulling on the cable at the frame, it goes all up all down.
it behaves as if the gear selector ratio is wrong. 1 click is only 3/4 movement at the bottom. so every about 3rd or 4th gear it doesnt jump and needs 2 clicks instead.

i bought the bike with hardgoing/broken gear selector. Bought a Shimano shimano gear selector to fix it (good looking my boy loved it) but realized its a SRAM-X3 at the bottom and that would be the problem. the rear says 1:1 ratio, so i got myself a sram x3 1:1 grip shift. the problem is identical ?! there is no play in the back, all screws are tight

what am I missing?
Old 09-23-21, 11:29 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
The limit screws shouldn't be fully "open," they should limit the extremes of the motion the derailleur would be required to move to cover all the cogs.
Old 09-23-21, 11:51 AM
kalli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agreed, I only did this for troublshooting to make sure it's not the limit screws causing the problem. I have them adjusted where they should be again, but just to isolate the problem making sure its not a limkited travel range at rear
Old 09-23-21, 12:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Original equipment that all worked correctly once upon a time? Oops, missed the last part of your OP. Yeah, someone else will have to tell you about whether SRAM X3 and Shimano shifters play well together. Which model Shimano *****r?

Assuming this is a derailleur equipped bike, and it just started happening then I'd think you might need to have your DR checked for a bent hanger.

Sometimes a binding or frayed cable inside the cable housing can cause issues too.

Did you change out or fix anything prior to this happening?

Last edited by Iride01; 09-23-21 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 01:04 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
sounds like either you don't proper cable tension or there's obstruction somewhere along the cable path. housings and ferrules all in proper order?
Old 09-23-21, 01:07 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Original equipment that all worked correctly once upon a time? Oops, missed the last part of your OP. Yeah, someone else will have to tell you about whether SRAM X3 and Shimano shifters play well together. Which model Shimano *****r?
looks like the censor doesn't like something you meant to write? did you miss the F?..lol
Old 09-23-21, 01:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
looks like the censor doesn't like something you meant to write? did you miss the F?..lol
I think I wrote shifter. Maybe I did misspell it and missed the "f" key. Too late now. The curse word bot makes actual changes.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-23-21 at 01:17 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-23-21, 01:20 PM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If you just leave out the F it is a misspelling of the word that is commonly used in place of 'toilet' or 'outhouse'. The word should be spelled like 'hitter' but with an S. If we were to swap the F back in for one of the Ts, we can make a sentence like, "I'll be right back, I gotta go to the shifter"
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-23-21, 04:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
The censor is fooled by the device that you use to change gears.
Old 09-23-21, 04:56 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct front shifter?
Shimano has (I think) a 1.7 pull ratio.
Sounds like it's shifting about 60% of the travel, so the math adds up for a mismatch.
Old 09-24-21, 02:27 AM
kalli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know its confusing - sorry if it was not clear:
when I got bike used (alum frame kids bike for cheap, i thought i just quickly change all brakes and that s****er and would be good to go )
it was: sram x3 in back with what I think was correct grip shifter, but it didn't work well -- (it was very stiff)
so got a flashy Shimano grips shift (Revo) the junior liked but had this problem. so I went and got a not-so good-looking sram x3 grip shift that seemed to be like original replacement but still the same issue
cable and housing is new. no derailleur to bike. the only thing I can think off is that the chain too worn (it is widened in places).
I was also thinking tension, but if I put more tension on it, then the effect is that I can only switch from 6-> 1 and not from 7->2 anymore. I get max 6 gears out of this

i checked again, derailleur clearly says 1:1 and shifter is: SRAM 3.0 SHIFTER - GRIP SHIFT - 7 SPEED REAR 1:1

Last edited by kalli; 09-24-21 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-24-21, 06:13 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by kalli
i checked again, derailleur clearly says 1:1 and shifter is: SRAM 3.0 SHIFTER - GRIP SHIFT - 7 SPEED REAR 1:1
This source says the SRAM Gripshift 3.0 was produced in two versions: a 1:1 version and a Shimano-compatible "2:1" version (SRAM's term; actual pull ratio is the Shimano 1.7:1 pull ratio).

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycl...le_Replacement

If that's the shifter you ordered (your link didn't come through since you have <10 total posts here), it might be worth double-checking to ensure that the one you received is actually the 1:1 version for SRAM 1:1 drivetrains. The linked article says if that particular shifter is marked "MRX" or "Centera", it's the Shimano-compatible version.

Link is to a Wikibooks article, so caveat emptor. However, that link in turn points to the old SRAM archive, so you may be able to find more info and/or authoritative confirmation of what the article says there:

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/service

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-24-21 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Change wording/add info/correct typo.
Old 10-07-21, 08:21 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kalli
hey! 1st time poster here.

I'm a mechanic by trade (cars), so I know my way around bolts, but I'm not an expert when it comes to bikes. this one has me stumped
if I open both limit screws in rear derailleur, put the rear selector gear into 7 (numerical highest, it has distinct clicks and its definetly 7), hook up the cable, adjust the cable so it's in 7th but just to go into 6 (noisy already), then if I go from there towards first it goes only up to 3rd.
with a lot of patience and indexing I got it so it can even go from 7 (noisy, nearly 6) all the way up to 2nd (just about). but no way into 1st
if I put it in 7th I can very easily switch all gears (7 to 1 to 7) by pulling on the cable at the frame, it goes all up all down.
it behaves as if the gear selector ratio is wrong. 1 click is only 3/4 movement at the bottom. so every about 3rd or 4th gear it doesnt jump and needs 2 clicks instead.

i bought the bike with hardgoing/broken gear selector. Bought a Shimano shimano gear selector to fix it (good looking my boy loved it) but realized its a SRAM-X3 at the bottom and that would be the problem. the rear says 1:1 ratio, so i got myself a sram x3 1:1 grip shift. the problem is identical ?! there is no play in the back, all screws are tight

what am I missing?
I recently had a similar issue and it turned out that I had routed the cable on the RD clamping mount incorrectly. Once rerouted and re-clamped full range shifting was available.