Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Do You Think About These Choices?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-24-21, 09:59 PM
Crevice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone, I need some advice from people that are into cycling. I am going to pickup a bike soon for mainly for exercise, local running around, possibly commuting but nothing to crazy.

I think most of my riding will be around the neighborhood only because it's just there when you open your door. However want I want to get into, is riding trails and paths in the local area (Newnan, Ga), just because I'm not sharing the road with vehicles and the possible hazards that doing that could bring.

When I say trails and paths I do not mean crazy, I need another Red Bull stuff. I'm looking for fairly manicured paths in the woods or whatever but I have no intention of doing tricks, racing or really even getting the thing off the ground... that may happen in a spur of the moment kinda thing but I'm a fairly fit 53... so in general, pretty much not going to be doing that.

My question is on bike selection. Trek is all I've looked at so far and though I originally was thinking the Dual Sport 2, those are pretty much gone and everyone I talk to thinks I should maybe be looking at Marlins, which is what I've been doing. The Marlin 6 was my first choice but the tubeless tire readiness and other features of the Marlin 7 sounds like it is seriously worth looking at.

My height is aroung 6'ft 4" to 6' ft 4.5" or 193 to 194 centimeters. My inseam is about 34" or about 86/87 centimeters.

The bikes, sizes and colors I am currently interested in but some can be hard to find.

All 2022 Trek Models
Unsure in the size will be XL or XXL, I need to try them out

Marlin 6 ($799.99) - 1st choice is Factory Orange but if that is not available, Rage Red to Dnister Black Fade

Marlin 7 ($979.99) - 1st choice is Matte Nautical Navy/Matte Anthracite but if that is not available, Marigold to Radioactive Red Fade

That Marlin 7 price is really the most I want to pay.

What are your thoughts? Marlin 6, Marlin 7, another choice?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 09-24-21, 10:23 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Those steep slope TT bikes are HORRIBLE, stay away. IMO. Especially at your size. At least a 62 cm frame.
I wouldn't get a bungie fork either. Find something more like a commuter style, with tires 42 to 50 mm.
I would get a 2x or better yet, an IGH 7 or 8 sp. 1x is just dumb.
I do 100+ mile highway rides with 4 kinds of IGH. The last 3 rides were with a SA RD3. It has new 650B x 38 mm wheels. 100% reliable and quiet. My Nexus 7i has 8 more GIs on both ends.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-24-21 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 10:34 PM
Crevice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Those steep slope TT bikes are HORRIBLE. IMO. Especially at your size. At least a 62 cm frame.
I wouldn't get a bungie fork either. Find something more like a commuter style, with tires 42 to 50.
I would get a 2x or better yet, an IGH 7 or 8 sp. 1x is just dumb.
I do 100+ mile highway rides with 4 kinds of IGH. The last 3 rides were with a SA RD3. 100% reliable and quiet.
I new to the modern bike scene and I'm not sure what you mean by TT, 45 or 50 wheels and it's a 10 speed not a 1x. Commuter bikes that handle trail riding is what I would like but no one has given me specific suggestions.
Old 09-24-21, 10:45 PM
GamblerGORD53

TT is top tube. Those stupidly small Marlin frames have the TT in line with the seat tube. Barely room for 1 bottle holder.
It's hard to suggest when there's little stock around. I like Brooklyn bikes. There's Priority bikes with IGH, that have a bit less slope TT.
Old 09-24-21, 10:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
TT = Time Trial bike. A computer bike that can handle trails is called a Gravel bike. Good luck

Old 09-24-21, 11:29 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Hi Randy. For the riding you're describing, I think a Marlin is overkill. The sport has gotten pretty niche, so there are bikes specifically made for almost every kind of terrain, including pavement-with-some-groomed-paths-and-a-little-singletrack. For that, I'd splurge for something like a Surly Bridge Club. You can configure it with 27.5 mountain bike wheels or 700c gravel wheels. Tour with it, commute with it, go bash rocks with it. Could be a lifer.
Old 09-25-21, 12:24 AM
Crevice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rolla
Hi Randy. For the riding you're describing, I think a Marlin is overkill. The sport has gotten pretty niche, so there are bikes specifically made for almost every kind of terrain, including pavement-with-some-groomed-paths-and-a-little-singletrack. For that, I'd splurge for something like a Surly Bridge Club. You can configure it with 27.5 mountain bike wheels or 700c gravel wheels. Tour with it, commute with it, go bash rocks with it. Could be a lifer.
Thanks Rolla! That's a very intriguing bike. I'll check it out this weekend.
Likes For Crevice:
Old 09-25-21, 01:46 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I would spend the extra $200 for the 7. 10 cogs vs 8 is a bigger deal when you're running only one chainring. And I would guess the Shimano brakes are probably slightly better than the Tektro's. The weight difference is 2 pounds and many people spend a lot more than $200 in parts to drop even less weight. My first upgrade would be a good fork, they both have cheap coil spring forks.
Old 09-25-21, 04:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
This^
Or any mainstream "gravel" bike with straight bars (rather than drop bars). I wouldn't get a mountain bike for this kind of riding or anything with a suspension fork in this price range.
Old 09-25-21, 08:44 AM
Crevice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I would spend the extra $200 for the 7. 10 cogs vs 8 is a bigger deal when you're running only one chainring. And I would guess the Shimano brakes are probably slightly better than the Tektro's. The weight difference is 2 pounds and many people spend a lot more than $200 in parts to drop even less weight. My first upgrade would be a good fork, they both have cheap coil spring forks.
Thanks, if I did go with the Marlin I'm pretty sure it would be the 7. It's interesting though, if you look at reviews online or YouTube videos, people seem to love them and they are really popular but so far it seems everyone here doesn't care for them at all.
Old 09-25-21, 08:49 AM
Crevice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This^
Or any mainstream "gravel" bike with straight bars (rather than drop bars). I wouldn't get a mountain bike for this kind of riding or anything with a suspension fork in this price range.
I'm doing some online research this weekend on gravel bikes. Everything seems so expensive. I would really prefer to keep it under $800 but Schwinn seems about the only way to do that. I don't know maybe they have something worth looking at, I haven't checked.
Old 09-25-21, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Look folks if you are going to be professionally racing you probably won't be here asking about entry level and lower end bikes. I don't know why it is so important to mention all of that it is not relevant to the conversation. It is like walking into a 7-11 and proclaiming as you are looking at which snack cake you are purchasing saying "I am not going to be a professional chef"

In terms of bikes if you are looking at decent bikes you are going to probably look to spend at least 1k otherwise these days you are getting deeper and deeper into the initially low costs bikes that don't perform as well and don't last as long especially components wise. A bike is something you will have for a while so if your plan is to ride it with some regularity get something decent. Keep in mind though the more stuff you add to a bike like suspension for instance the more the price must increase or the quality must go way down. If your plan is to upgrade parts down the line, then get the bike with those parts and save that money right away instead of buying two sets of parts and replacing parts that probably were just put on their for looks and to hit a price point get closer to what you want. Replacing a pair of grips and adding pedals is one thing but replacing a really cheap coil fork at or near the outset is silly when you can find a better bike with better components and enjoy it more. The really cheap bikes are there for folks who are occasional users maybe they might ride once a month or less and really just need something for household clutter rather than something they will really enjoy.
Old 09-25-21, 02:24 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
ummm, the color of the bike should the last of your priorities
Old 09-25-21, 03:30 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
ummm, the color of the bike should the last of your priorities
Lol, so untrue. If your going to live with her, you should probably like the way she looks.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-25-21, 04:02 PM
GamblerGORD53

Yah, I also see a lot of these dumb ugly bikes around. They give you half a frame to save a fricking pound. Then they have to make it up with a bean pole seat post. Totally idiotic. IMO. It also makes it horrible for installing a rear rack.
They are just plain poor for anything but riding around. There is zero need for a bungie fork with 47 mm tires.
The Ogre also looks so lame to me.
1x 10 forces the use of a pie plate 42T. You loose 20 or 30 % of your gear range, for what??

My Rohloff14 is 20 to 109 GI now. It was 21 to 115 on my last tour over the Rocky Mountains. Used every gear, just about every day.

Make sure you get 700c wheels with 32 or 36 spokes.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-25-21 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 04:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Yah, I also see a lot of these dumb ugly bikes around. They give you half a frame to save a fricking pound. Then they have to make it up with a bean pole seat post. Totally idiotic. IMO. It also makes it horrible for installing a rear rack.
They are just plain poor for anything but riding around. There is zero need for a bungie fork with 47 mm tires.
The Ogre also looks so lame to me.
1x 10 forces the use of a pie plate 42T. You loose 20 or 30 % of your gear range, for what??

My Rohloff14 is 20 to 109 GI now. It was 21 to 115 on my last tour over the Rocky Mountains. Used every gear, just about every day.

Make sure you get 700c wheels with 32 or 36 spokes.
So we get it, you clearly don't like ALL modern mtbs. I agree that it probably isn't what the OP is looking for, but they are not stupid bikes. They just have a different purpose.
Likes For PeteHski: