Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Consensus on vintage binder bolts?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Consensus on vintage binder bolts?

Old 07-22-21, 01:52 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Thanks all! Ok - looks like Sugino and a file or dremel. But, I do have a couple bikes that I feel need that Campagnolo stamp. Off to the WTB…
Old 07-22-21, 09:18 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Bicycle Bolts, offers “security” versions of binder bolts in several sizes. These need a special, included hex key to tighten.
See;
https://www.bicyclebolts.com/
Old 07-22-21, 10:02 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

Big dollars but nice
Old 07-22-21, 10:03 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by alexihnen
Thanks all! Ok - looks like Sugino and a file or dremel. But, I do have a couple bikes that I feel need that Campagnolo stamp. Off to the WTB…
the rare seat bolts are branded Confente
Old 07-23-21, 05:58 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,775 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Big dollars but nice
I’d rather spend the big dollars rather than buying a bargain for a bargain’s sake.
Old 07-23-21, 06:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This doesn't solve the specific needs of the OP. It is a "searching for binder bolt thread though, so the link will be useful down the road.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...se-frames.html
Old 07-23-21, 07:17 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Big dollars but nice
If you don't get the full kit, it's about the same as a vintage Campagnolo bolt on eBay. I almost went that route before deciding to try the cheap bolts and a dremel first. 6 weeks after I did that, I got hit by a car and my back hasn't let me on a bike since (the wrecked bike had an old school bolt, so I can't report on longevity.
Old 07-23-21, 09:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Last time I broke a Campy binder bolt, I was able to unscrew the broken part of the bolt from the 'nut' side, so I tried threading the 'bolt' part of a spare Sugino binder bolt I had, and danged if it didn't fit! So that's what I'm using on my Battaglin. All you have to do is find that part of the Campy binder bolt after it goes flying out the other side when the bold breaks!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-23-21, 09:10 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by genejockey
Last time I broke a Campy binder bolt, I was able to unscrew the broken part of the bolt from the 'nut' side, so I tried threading the 'bolt' part of a spare Sugino binder bolt I had, and danged if it didn't fit! So that's what I'm using on my Battaglin. All you have to do is find that part of the Campy binder bolt after it goes flying out the other side when the bold breaks!
Wow, that's a great idea. Will have to see if I still have it. Was going to throw it away, but I think I saved it to make sure I have the same size.
Old 07-26-21, 12:48 PM
caribou22

Bikes: 2020 bridge club, 2014 MARINONI sl, surly 1x1, 91 GT Tachyon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Went through the campy bolt binder headache last year with my Marinoni. Check out the thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nder-bolt.html
Old 07-26-21, 01:39 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by caribou22
Went through the campy bolt binder headache last year with my Marinoni. Check out the thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nder-bolt.html
this actually looks like a deal, if they don’t snap the first time you over tighten.

https://store.marinonicycles.com/product/1180
Old 07-26-21, 02:13 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I'm with the Sugino and Dremel the nub off crowd. And turn around the bolt so that you're using the female end to tighten. Reason is that some bikes end up having a slightly bent clamp bolt from brazed on clamps that are slightly large for the seatpost. If you tighten the male end it flexes the bolt with each turn and weakens it.
Old 07-26-21, 02:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Going to chime in to remind and encourage us to check the bolt itself for binding and galling, bottoming out from pinched ears/too small post.

I also always add a smidge of grease or anti-seize to the threads and also carefully use two allen keys when necessary.
Old 07-26-21, 02:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by merziac
Going to chime in to remind and encourage us to check the bolt itself for binding and galling, bottoming out from pinched ears/too small post.

I also always add a smidge of grease or anti-seize to the threads and also carefully use two allen keys when necessary.
This was the problem I had with the binder on a Lotus I acquired. The binder bolt came to a hard stop in the process of tightening but the seatpost could still move. I took it out, measured it, and got the next smaller Sugino binder bolt. Problem solved.

Old 07-26-21, 03:36 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 246 Posts
You can find them on the auction site (or your LBS) way cheaper than that. Unless you're hellbent to have a Campy one. Both the serrated and keyed ones are very common, the only concern is the length (and various ones are available) and type you want. I use something with Cro Moly engraved on it and it works just fine. But then again, I generally don't care much about paying crazy money just because something that has some brand slapped on it (whatever the brand). I'd be probably willing to bet that a 10 bucks one and "Campy" one are possibly coming from the same production line in some East Asian location. It's not a complicated, mechanical part where you could have a lot of difference when it comes to quality. Sure, there could be better or worse materials or finish, but in the end it's just a bolt.
Old 07-26-21, 04:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
You can find them on the auction site (or your LBS) way cheaper than that. Unless you're hellbent to have a Campy one. Both the serrated and keyed ones are very common, the only concern is the length (and various ones are available) and type you want. I use something with Cro Moly engraved on it and it works just fine. But then again, I generally don't care much about paying crazy money just because something that has some brand slapped on it (whatever the brand). I'd be probably willing to bet that a 10 bucks one and "Campy" one are possibly coming from the same production line in some East Asian location. It's not a complicated, mechanical part where you could have a lot of difference when it comes to quality. Sure, there could be better or worse materials or finish, but in the end it's just a bolt.
Pretty sure the Campy ones are made in a glass factory.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-25-21, 11:47 AM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Big dollars but nice
needed a seat post bolt, so I ordered two from Richard Sachs. Unfortunately for me, they require reaming the ears with an eight millimeter drill bit.
I don’t have any machinists skill, nor do I make frames, no drill press, and I really don’t want to change the size of the hole. I wonder if Richard would take them back, as there weren’t any reaming instructions on the site descriptions.

Last edited by santa fe 2926; 09-25-21 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 05:48 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Don't they come in a neat little box? And didn't Richard send a little artwork? And you must have a nicknack shelf some where! (Rat tail file).
Old 09-25-21, 08:28 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Little zip lock bags, with instructions, greasing, reaming, and good luck.
Old 09-25-21, 08:58 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
Little zip lock bags, with instructions, greasing, reaming, and good luck.
how about an image or two of the seatlug ears you are working with?
Old 09-25-21, 09:21 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
The Campy ones only break the "male" half. The solution is simple: get an east Asian replacement bolt and put it in your repair kit for when you break the Campy bolt. When you break the Campy bolt, you screw the "male" half of the east Asian replacement bolt into the "female" half of the Campy bolt, and then you have a reliable system. Make sure the threads match!!

I recently bought some unbranded French ones made of color anodized aluminum off Ebay as a gag gift for my friend, who has broken two Campy ones.

Old 09-26-21, 07:18 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by scarlson
The Campy ones only break the "male" half. The solution is simple: get an east Asian replacement bolt and put it in your repair kit for when you break the Campy bolt. When you break the Campy bolt, you screw the "male" half of the east Asian replacement bolt into the "female" half of the Campy bolt, and then you have a reliable system. Make sure the threads match!!

I recently bought some unbranded French ones made of color anodized aluminum off Ebay as a gag gift for my friend, who has broken two Campy ones.

The trick is getting the male side out as it often breaks off flush with the top of the female side.
Old 09-26-21, 08:39 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by himespau
The trick is getting the male side out as it often breaks off flush with the top of the female side.
I must be lucky - the few times I've dealt with it, the fragment has just come right out, either by hand (smush your thumb against the broken surface and twist) or at worst with a small amount of prodding from a dental pick. I can see how deformation during the breakage could lead to it getting quite stuck.
Old 09-26-21, 08:54 AM
himespau 

I do have 2 broken bolts saved that I don't think I've tried getting the bolt out, so I will give your trick a try. If it works, it'll be worth the couple bucks for a cheap asian male part. Assuming I didn't actually get around to throwing them away in my rare moods of actually throwing away broken stuff instead of saving it to fix "later".
Old 09-26-21, 09:49 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by himespau
I do have 2 broken bolts saved that I don't think I've tried getting the bolt out, so I will give your trick a try. If it works, it'll be worth the couple bucks for a cheap asian male part. Assuming I didn't actually get around to throwing them away in my rare moods of actually throwing away broken stuff instead of saving it to fix "later".
One other tip if the dental pick or thumb don't work, is to try drilling from the backside. The hole in the backside serves as a convenient drill guide to keep you lined up. And, if you hold the female bolt in a vise or even vise grips and exert sufficient pressure on the drill, it may "bite" and unscrew the bolt fragment.

Looking at the Campy one I have (I guess I should sell it if I can really get $75!!) and an east Asian one, I can see why the Campy ones break. The Campy ones' threads are clearly machined - cut with a die - while the east Asian one I have is clearly rolled, meaning there are fewer stress risers and the grain of the metal is not cut through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.