Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Job supposedly requires car

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Job supposedly requires car

Old 10-08-18, 02:31 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I actually got a Lyft ride from a driver who told me the car was a rental, and Lyft has a program where he doesn't need a car to be a driver, they provide the rental, and he gets to use it for personal use as well. Maybe this is the program?

(I'm not saying you're wrong, I think it absolutely makes sense that some jobs include requirements to drive a car, and your own car, but I was surprised to learn about this Lyft/rental program)
Well my example was Uber...using Lyft changes a variable....

But seriously...I'm very surprised by that. I'm sure it works for them or they wouldn't do it. But I'm surprised.
Old 10-08-18, 02:36 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I actually got a Lyft ride from a driver who told me the car was a rental, and Lyft has a program where he doesn't need a car to be a driver, they provide the rental, and he gets to use it for personal use as well. Maybe this is the program?

(I'm not saying you're wrong, I think it absolutely makes sense that some jobs include requirements to drive a car, and your own car, but I was surprised to learn about this Lyft/rental program)
Over here (UK), all Über drivers must have taxi insurance and thus most just lease a car from the standard taxi car rental agency (where most taxi agencies lease cars from). However, one can get taxi insurance on their private car but it's quite expensive. You also need a "private hire license" from the council you drive within.

This results in most Über drivers just having a leased car with the same plates as a standard taxi and just using a different app. Most taxi agencies already had an Über-like app already.
Old 10-08-18, 02:42 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Over here (UK), all Über drivers ...
In the UK, does*Über have an umlaut? Are you living in a Man In The High Castle universe?
Old 10-08-18, 02:49 PM
acidfast7
Banned

In the UK, does*Über have an umlaut? Are you living in a Man In The High Castle universe?
Sorry, my keyboard autocorrects for English, German and Japanese, which I mostly use. I usually write über in a German word, z. B. übersetzen, and thus it autocorrects.

kinda like this:

Last edited by acidfast7; 10-08-18 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 03:42 PM
andpan32

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wow thanks for so many replies, really interesting how this thread has developed
Old 10-08-18, 03:44 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Not to get too off-topic (I've already posted my direct reply to the OP's question), but I think this might help illustrate what African-Americans and women have been experiencing in the US for at least a century. Only, in their cases, the employer is often too cowardly or afraid to tell the job applicant "We don't want a woman on the job" or "We don't hire black people."

The boss set the requirements for this job and was straightforward with you about what they are and why you might not get the job. It's sucky that you can't have 100% of what you would like, but I think you have to respect the company's policy and look for another job that you can bike to.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-18, 03:44 PM
andpan32

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I think it's not a matter of legal rights, it's matter of convenience for either party, this is something that is in a sort of grey zone that has to do with the kind of informal arrangements one comits to around the professional environment
Old 10-08-18, 03:48 PM
andpan32

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I am the part-owner of an architectural firm in the US and still must deal with **** about my bike-riding from my partners (who are more "corporate" and concerned about "decorum" than I am, and less concerned about visibly sustainable life-style):
- Showing up and being briefly visible in bike clothes in the morning
- Being visibly hot in the studio after the morning shower (the new office has bike storage, lockers and showers, per my instigation)
- Riding cycle to local client meetings.
These are all areas of some occasional tension.

Cycling in my city saves time (I can be at my clients in half the time of my colleagues taking public transit or a cab) and my clients are very progressive about sustainable transportation choices, which I do point out when needed..

Perhaps the OP actually needs a car for potentially remote client meetings, but I think it is likely that his/her potential employer is being somewhat somewhat regressive and dickish like my partners. Therefore I agree with others that the OP will need to be practical and either suck it up and get the car, or find a different job. If the gig has merit, I would take the job, prove worthy, then gradually try to change the firm culture.
All of the above:
very true!
Old 10-08-18, 03:49 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by andpan32
I think it's not a matter of legal rights, it's matter of convenience for either party, this is something that is in a sort of grey zone that has to do with the kind of informal arrangements one comits to around the professional environment
I think you have to draw the line at using a person car for work, even with reimbursement. A cheap lease should be around £300/mo for an Audi A3 Avant. It should be under £500/mo with insurance. That's only 1000mi/1600km per mo at UK rates for reimbursement.

https://www.lingscars.com/one-year-deals

(Best UK website for leases)
Old 10-08-18, 03:51 PM
acidfast7
Banned

This is their office by the way:

Old 10-08-18, 04:19 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
If the issue is making impressions at customer meetings, then you should look for a 'green' architecture firm that would value (and that would serve customers that value) the impression made by an architect rolling up to a job site on a bicycle.
Old 10-08-18, 04:53 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
If the issue is making impressions at customer meetings, then you should look for a 'green' architecture firm that would value (and that would serve customers that value) the impression made by an architect rolling up to a job site on a bicycle.
Excellent advice
Old 10-09-18, 05:35 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Job supposedly requires car.
I am an architect in Cyprus and at the job interview I told them that I am used to going to work by bike.
They said that going to site visits and to meet a client somewhere requires a car.
I never had problems with this in the past.

Public transport in Cyprus is actually terrible (only bus with not many good connections) and that's why I use a bike to get around. Until now there was a company car for going out of town at previous offices.
I was even asked if I was thinking of buying a car!

How do I deal with this one?
As I left post-graduate training, I wanted two things for my job:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…When I was asked a few years before starting my career, while living in Boston,“Where would you like to live?.” my criteria were living near a big body of water, and the ability to live without a car as I had been much of my earlier two-plus decades; and I was already an avid cyclist.

I learned to love the water from the Great Lakes in Michigan, and the Atlantic Ocean in Boston
When I was interviewed for my current job over 30 years ago in suburban Boston, 14 miles from my home, my employer had raised eyebrows when I said I don’t have a car. The job did require traveling between two sites eight miles apart.

I said I commute by bike, and there was good Commuter Rail directly service to the main site, the other was about 6 miles away from the closest station. He might have been kind of desperate, and I was hired.
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental.

We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square. Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work are:
  1. subway and Commuter Rail
  2. taxis and Uber
  3. car rentals, including Zipcar
  4. shopping and personal services within walking distances
  5. a convenient place to stay overnight at work
  6. my cycle commutes are on pleasant routes in the reverse of the usual commuting direction
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL [Living Car Free / Car Light] in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities

Location, location, location.
Sometimes I have to absolutely be there for an early start time. I posted about those concerns early in my career, to this thread, "whats the scariest part of your ride????. .
For the first few years when I started commuting to work, I would dream that I had to be there for a critical procedure the first thing in the morning, and I was too far away to get there on time.

Much like that paradigmatic dream of going for a final exam, and can’t find the room / didn’t attend the class. "
Once, I got in late for a conference because I was on a new route and got lost. When I realized that, I called a cab to take me and the bike in, about 20 minutes late, but "no harm, no foul."
My worst commuting disaster was a broken pedal spindle (or is it axle?) about 12 miles from work at 6:00 AM in a suburb.

I called a cab and got picked up minutes before a torrential rain. Now I carry a spare pedal (joking).
My only steadfast rule, never violated, was
... In my 40 so years of Living Car Light (the car is mainly for my wife) my cardinal rule was not to ask for a ride out of someone’s way, and never borrow a co-worker’s car.

Colleagues are pretty generous to offer rides, and even offer their cars. Cabs and car rentals are pretty accessible to me though.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-09-18 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 11:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
Here in New York City, if you delivered pizza by car instead of bike, you'd be fired. A car is slower than a bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-18, 12:58 PM
andpan32

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Here in New York City, if you delivered pizza by car instead of bike, you'd be fired. A car is slower than a bike.

Haha, yes, I lived in New York City for half a year and worked in White Plains as an architect. Got the train to WP from Grand Central every morning. What a commute! Better than being in the car though, and the partners there had no problem with that at all as long as I got to work on time every single morning.

I got the job by the way and I'm testing the water tomorrow by showing up with my road bike. Though not full gear, just plain clothes.
The bike is a Trek, so that should hopefully make me look a bit more pro while I'll be hauling it up to the kitchen on the first floor!
Old 10-09-18, 01:06 PM
Jim from Boston

When we visited central Manhattan several years ago during the summer, I was astounded at the number of pedicabs seemingly all over, day and night. We even rode from and back to our Hotel to the Rainbow Room in black tie evening attire.

Here in Boston, the only ones I see in any number are on Red Sox baseball game days in a relatively small area of the Back Bay extending about two miles at most from Fenway Park.

We live near Fenway, and often walk through the Back Bay. The pedicab fare (via tips) is at least about $15, while a taxi would be about $8 with tip. However the pedicab can negotiate the traffic more easily.
Old 10-09-18, 01:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
When we visited central Manhattan several years ago during the summer, I was astounded at the number of pedicabs seemingly all over, day and night. We even rode from and back to our Hotel to the Rainbow Room in black tie evening attire.

Here in Boston, the only ones I see in any number are on Red Sox baseball game days in a relatively small area of the Back Bay extending about two miles at most from Fenway Park.

We live near Fenway, and often walk through the Back Bay. The pedicab fare (via tips) is at least about $15, while a taxi would be about $8 with tip. However the pedicab can negotiate the traffic more easily.
Pedicabs don't seem that practical to me. I think the fee is at least $1 per minute. I think only tourists ride them.

But did you notice the huge number of delivery bikes here? When I was growing up, supermarkets used Worksman bikes and trikes to deliver orders. Now everything is being delivered, including lots of meals. There are lots of restaurants that are empty inside but do brisk delivery businesses.

By the way, long ago, I lived on Park Dr, near Queensberry St.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-18, 01:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Pedicabs don't seem that practical to me. I think the fee is at least $1 per minute. I think only tourists ride them.

But did you notice the huge number of delivery bikes here? When I was growing up, supermarkets used Worksman bikes and trikes to deliver orders. Now everything is being delivered, including lots of meals. There are lots of restaurants that are empty inside but do brisk delivery businesses.

This is beginning to happen in downtown LA (and other major cities) now that its being gentrified and a new generation is returning to the urban central.
Old 10-09-18, 05:26 PM
Jim from Boston

For tourists like us, with time to lollygag in Manhattan, it's an interesting way to get around.

I do recall you lived in Boston and worked at a Bike shop in Cambridge ~ 1980,
... We have a fair bit in common. I lived in Boston and cycled there extensively. I also worked at the Bicycle Workshop on MIT campus. Maybe you were a customer of mine back in 1980 or 1981.
We live about a half mile from that intersection.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-09-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 08:35 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I was even asked if I was thinking of buying a car!
How do I deal with this one?
Tell them you'll buy a car. Buy one if they hire you. If you really don't need it, don't use it. If you really do need it, then you got the job and the right tools for it.
Old 10-10-18, 08:49 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Tell them you'll buy a car. Buy one if they hire you. If you really don't need it, don't use it. If you really do need it, then you got the job and the right tools for it.
Exactly this.^^

If an employer needs that assurance then it's your responsibility to provide it. However, nobody says you have to go out and buy a brand new expensive car with monthly installments and a high operating cost. Any car that runs will do. When/if they ask if you have reliable transportation, your answer will be yes and that's the end of the discussion.
Old 10-10-18, 11:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
company business , company car.

Say, "sure I'll use the company's car, then", If It requires a 1st impression
being seen, driving a car, to meet the client, on the building site..

Greek or Turkish side of Cyprus ?

[Contested ?] Island is pretty small ,
so a Moped/Scooter and a waterproof Tube to roll up the
Engineering Drawings/ Blueprints ,
(Other than CAD , displayed on a Laptop)
is typically the product archItecture firms carry to the jobsite,

should do.. as offered in 19th post..

Actual 3D models less likely to be brought , then a Taxi may be used.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-11-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 12:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I had a coworker who kept a little Toyota truck at work and rode from home. We work in a place where we might occasionally need to go a few miles where bikes are not allowed. Several of us working together were frequent cyclists and we’d share the truck and the gas for such uses. I drove it home once when I wrecked on the way to work and decided I needed to go home to clean up my road rash. Several of us working together were frequent cyclists and we’d share the gas. He’d take it home on the weekend, so he could use it for home improvement and gardening. None of us ever asked for mileage, but I know that people who work back there more often or every day did. You’d need secure parking.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-10-18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 03:32 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Before going too far in trying some kind of work-around for the OP's prospective employer's very reasonable request that he have a car, it might be useful to try to understand exactly why they want him to have a car.
Old 10-12-18, 01:25 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Sorry, my keyboard autocorrects for English, German and Japanese, which I mostly use. I usually write über in a German word, z. B. übersetzen, and thus it autocorrects.
Lol, did it also autocorrect eg to z.B? You must use German a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.