Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Hill Repeats For CX Training?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 02:23 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts

Let me start with this. Where I race cyclocross there are two divisions. I am very much so at the back in the lower division, the front of the race is very fast. I don't race often as I don't have lots of time on the weekends, but I really really love racing and will do it when I can.

In the past for training I've tried 2x20's and while I have a great flat loop to do them, I have a hard time mentally getting through the workout. I'm not great at the mental aspect of training when it comes to riding on flat terrain. I do however enjoy hill repeats. I could do them until my legs fall off. I have one hill that is about an 8-10 minute effort as well as a very short steep hill that is about a 1 minute effort that are accessible to me.

Question is, could I use these hill repeats in place of something like a 2x20? How effective would these hill repeats be to me for a CX race? I also assume it is best to do most of the efforts seated. I was lucky enough that the last race I did allowed me to stand on the steep climb gripping on roots and grass. I realize this is not always the case.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-20, 09:37 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I would say hills would be more effective training for CX than 2x20's Since CX races aren't steady efforts,when you get to training specificity you want to do stuff like 15/15's, 30/30's (short really hard effort, shorter less hard effort) to mimic the type of demands of a CX race.