Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Messed up a read hub rebuild - which nuts where??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 12:44 PM
killingtime_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a Giant Chicago MTB. It's old but it works. I decided to disassemble the hub on the rear wheel to see if I could re-grease it (it was grinding a bit).

Managed to re-pack the bearings with grease, and had re-installed the wheel on the bike after some re-assembly. Feeling pleased with myself and then I noticed I had a large washer and nut left over .....

Should have taken some pictures before I started but didn't. Pictures of the rear hub with all nuts and washers on it below. Can anyone tell me if this assembly is correct?

Cannot get the largest sprocket on the rear cassette now, so something is out. Looks like I have too many nuts on the inside of the stay, cassette side, but where does that nut go then?

Giant don't seem to offer an exploded diagram of parts for this bike.

images2.imgbox.com/b5/cc/FcfXbInF_o.jpg
images2.imgbox.com/34/41/pha6jZL6_o.jpg
images2.imgbox.com/c5/6e/IvGIkeq5_o.jpg
images2.imgbox.com/e6/a1/KeTJvxeM_o.jpg

Thanks.
Old 09-24-21, 01:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The long nut/spacer in the last picture should be on the drive side. I'm not sure what the other pictures are showing me.
Old 09-24-21, 02:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Mechanical questions like this should be in 'bicycle mechanics', not GD. Throwing every question you have in GD completely defeats the purpose of all the specialized forum sections.
Old 09-24-21, 04:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Did you remove all the parts from the axle as part of your project? If so, next time just remove the parts from one side (I prefer the non-drive side), and leave the parts on the other side on the axle and clean them in place. It makes reassembly much easier; fewer loose parts to get confused over, and you don't need to re-center the axle on the locknuts.
Old 09-24-21, 05:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Moved here from General. One thing I like to do nowadays is take a picture with my cellphone.
Old 09-25-21, 03:24 AM
killingtime_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Welcome to the forum. The long nut/spacer in the last picture should be on the drive side. I'm not sure what the other pictures are showing me.
That long spacer came of the non-drive side, I'm sure. If I put it on the drive side it's going to push the whole wheel over to one side. ATM I cannot get the largest sprocket. If I push the cassette further over I'll lose even more gears.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Mechanical questions like this should be in 'bicycle mechanics', not GD. Throwing every question you have in GD completely defeats the purpose of all the specialized forum sections.
Yes, I did look for a relevant sub forum before I posted, but missed the mechanics section. My mistake.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Did you remove all the parts from the axle as part of your project? If so, next time just remove the parts from one side (I prefer the non-drive side), and leave the parts on the other side on the axle and clean them in place. It makes reassembly much easier; fewer loose parts to get confused over, and you don't need to re-center the axle on the locknuts.
Yep, I normally do that. I didn't think I could screw the job up which is why I didn't take a picture..... I was meant to be a 30 minute job, but I noticed the rim needed a new inner tube liner while it was out so I ordered one and that took a 3 days to arrive. By then I'd forgotten which nuts went where.
Old 09-25-21, 03:56 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by killingtime_
That long spacer came of the non-drive side, I'm sure. If I put it on the drive side it's going to push the whole wheel over to one side. ATM I cannot get the largest sprocket. If I push the cassette further over I'll lose even more gears.

Yes, I did look for a relevant sub forum before I posted, but missed the mechanics section. My mistake.

Yep, I normally do that. I didn't think I could screw the job up which is why I didn't take a picture..... I was meant to be a 30 minute job, but I noticed the rim needed a new inner tube liner while it was out so I ordered one and that took a 3 days to arrive. By then I'd forgotten which nuts went where.
Another thing you might consider is finding the appropriate "Exploded Diagram" regarding your hubs, derailleurs, etc . . . and keeping a copy. Many manufacturers make these available for download.

Shimano is particularly good about that. For their products, an Internet search using "Shimano ######## Exploded View" (where ######## is Shimano's model number for the item) is often all that's needed to find them. If I recall correctly Mavic seems good about that too. Can't speak for other manufacturers but I'd guess the same is true for many others as well.

These diagrams don't tell you the "how" of disassembly or reassembly, or identify best techniques and possible pitfalls while doing so. But they certainly show you what goes where, and in what order. They also usually give you the part numbers for individual smaller parts if you need to replace one.

Might help you now to get things reassembled properly, and if you keep the bike and/or other components for a while they might come in handy in the future.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-25-21 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Add sentence for completeness.
Old 09-25-21, 09:17 AM
killingtime_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had another go at re-arranging the nuts and I now have all the gears. The cassette needed to move nearer to the rear stay.

Pictures of the configuration below in case anyone has the same issue.

Thank you for your replies.

images2.imgbox.com/47/76/kxvX65qO_o.jpg
images2.imgbox.com/88/4f/iWE0zrcB_o.jpg