Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

(9) Speed Derailleur on 8 Speed Drivetrain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 03:52 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I was given a New Acera Rear Mech from Trek under warranty . It took so long to get it out of them . I purchased a Deore for My Verve 3 Disc .so I could continue riding this summer . Since I have no intention of taking the Deore off my Verve 3 . Can I use this Acera on a Trek Verve 2 with 8 speeds that currently has an Altus RD ? I'm assuming I can . Would I need a different chain ? Thanks
Old 09-25-21, 04:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
I was given a New Acera Rear Mech from Trek under warranty . It took so long to get it out of them . I purchased a Deore for My Verve 3 Disc .so I could continue riding this summer . Since I have no intention of taking the Deore off my Verve 3 . Can I use this Acera on a Trek Verve 2 with 8 speeds that currently has an Altus RD ? I'm assuming I can . Would I need a different chain ? Thanks
Yes, you can use the 9 speed derailer on an 8 speed system. Won’t make a difference.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-25-21, 05:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
in your specific case, i don't think the idler/jockey matters much if any regarding chain type.
The der moves positions based on the shifter's cable preset specifications. The main concern of the der is if it is capable in sweeping the across the cogs without exceeding designed mechanical capabilities.
Old 09-25-21, 05:56 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, you can use the 9 speed derailer on an 8 speed system. Won’t make a difference.
Have you ever seen something like this . This derailluer doesn't have threads to install this barrel adjuster housing . It's supposed to correct ? Sorry for the big picture . There's no threads in that housing to screw in my barrel adjusting screw or nut . Or whatever it's called . I am assuming either it needs a different kind or they forgot the threads in this one

Last edited by Rick53; 09-25-21 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 06:32 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
Have you ever seen something like this . This derailluer doesn't have threads to install this barrel adjuster housing . It's supposed to correct ? Sorry for the big picture . There's no threads in that housing to screw in my barrel adjusting screw or nut . Or whatever it's called . I am assuming either it needs a different kind or they forgot the threads in this one
No -- the Deore level and above Shadow derailleurs from Shimano do NOT have barrel adjusters at the derailleur. That pocket there is sized for the cable end cap to sit in. These derailleurs require you to use the barrel adjuster at your shifter (or install an inline one somewhere).

The Alivio, Acera, and Altus series Shadow derailleurs DO have barrel adjusters on the derailleur.