Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gipiemme

Old 01-18-12, 09:10 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Gipiemme

Am I right when I say higher end Gipiemme Cronos is basically the same quality as Campy?
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-18-12, 09:17 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It all deoends on which specific Gipeiemme Crono group and which specific Campagnolo group you are comparing.
Old 01-18-12, 09:37 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Gipiemme Cronos Sprint compared to any similiar Campy group of the era. (1982ish)
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-18-12, 05:56 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

anybody?
Old 01-18-12, 06:48 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Man has this place changed. =0(
Old 01-18-12, 06:52 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
I think your question was a little too esoteric for most of us.
Old 01-18-12, 06:58 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Maybe similar quality at the high end, but Gipiemme will always be considered by C&V "officionados" as the poorer cousin to Campagnolo. Anyway, how could they expect to gain repect from their Italian peers if they would stoop as low as selling re-branded French stuff like Simplex derailleurs and Stronglight Cranks under their brand name.....really.......
And then there's that other poor cousin Ofmega.........
Seriously, there's nothing wrong with Gipiemme or Ofmega components. It just all comes down to perception of values.

Chombi
Old 01-18-12, 07:22 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The fit and finish of all two GPM Chronos cranksets I've looked at has been Campy-quality.
Old 01-18-12, 07:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I think it's just fine. There were many "poor cousins" to Campy that were better in many views:

Ofmega's Mistral crankset
Universal's AER brakeset
Gipiemme's seat posts
Ofmega Sintesi/Avocet's version pedals

There's a guy in Chicago that likes to put together all-Italian bikes with no Campy components.
His stuff is great.
Old 01-18-12, 07:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Used a GPM special triple which is a bit better than the Campag 1048/5 triple . [imho]
they left more metal in the spider arm and blind drilled and tapped it for an 86bcd third ring.
so instead of 36t only, there are other possibilities ..
that is if you can find any 86mm bcd (a stronglight pattern) chainrings ..
I built up [80's]a wide-double, and put a polished Campag Chainguard on the outside.
used the Campag triple BB just fine..
Old 01-18-12, 11:13 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
we live to disappoint...you're welcome.
I haven't seen enough of any Cronos Sprint stuff to say how it compares with Campy of the same era, but there must have been something shared since Gipiemme did contract building of some parts for the Big C, or the other way around...it's all very hush-hush. Only expert opinion I saw was that GPM definitely made one BB for Campy, but others insist that Campy built some shifters and RDs for GPM.
Maybe Citoyen du Monde can straighten this out...he personally knows all those guys.
Old 01-18-12, 11:20 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I think it's just fine. There were many "poor cousins" to Campy that were better in many views:

Ofmega's Mistral crankset
it is lighter. hopefully i can tell you how it rides this spring.
Old 01-19-12, 10:01 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'd rate a 1982 Cronosprint group between Nuovo Gran Sport and Nuovo Record. The standout piece is the rear derailleur which is from the Cronospecial line and performs better than any Campagnolo derailleur of the era and may be a rebranded Ofmega. Some people don't like the aethestics of the aero-styled crankset, which looks out of place for an Italiian group of the era.
Old 01-19-12, 10:21 AM
Kanegon

Bikes: Topstone, Chisel, 930, Facet

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
way over my head... have never caressed Italian gruppo. destroyed a campy RD once, melted like butter, it didn't like the rest of my beater setup (Sugino/Huret/Suntour).
Old 01-19-12, 10:51 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Chill, homes.
Old 01-19-12, 11:17 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I put a Gipiemme fluted seat post on my Bianchi re-build this winter and it looks great. As near as I can tell it holds the saddle in place as well as any other seat post. It hasn't dissolved yet, nor spontaneously changed into a cat.
Old 01-19-12, 11:43 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Chill, homes.
Sorry brutha, but thats the way I roll.

Thanks to all for the replies, much appreciated.
Likes For ilikebikes:
Old 01-19-12, 07:47 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Crono Special parts were usually the top level (above Special), and are very nice, although rarely seen. I have a set of Crono Special sidepull brakes on one bike, and they are just about a clone of Campagnolo Super Record, in terms of looks, and finish (and even have the cammed quick-release). I've never seen another set like them, though. Sprint was the bottom of the line, I think, though still quite decent stuff. Crono Sprint would be just above Sprint, I guess. Then there was Dual Sprint, etc., etc. Too many levals, in my opinion, that were mostly a maketing thing, probably....

They had many levels, most of which were about at the Campy Gran Sport level (or lower) in terms of price point. Look for Special or Crono Special as the top levels of Gipiemme stuff.
Old 01-20-12, 12:35 AM
Peter_B
Senior Moment

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The time period for Crono[something] is after 1980.

The Cronospecial group was at the top. The Special group was started after Cronospecial group, and was a step down from the Cronospecial group. The Special group shared most parts with the Cronospecial group except for pedals and brakeset which were specific to each group.

Below those groups and depending on the years, there was Cronosprint, Cronospint Economy, Sprint groups.

Last edited by Peter_B; 01-20-12 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-20-12, 11:29 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Crono Sprint "Economy"??? That's a weird name to use, kinda a self put-down even for a lower model component. It screams "Cheap!". Reminds me of that bike called "Semi-Pro" (It's either a Pro or not a pro, what the heck does Semi mean in that context??)...... Not good for sales IMO. Why don't they just use something nicer to hear like "GT" or "Strada" or "Deluxe" or "Sport"...or give it a City's name like Addidas does on their shoes or a model number like Look did on their pedals... but don't cheapen your product's name if you do not have to. Campagnolo would never name a component "Economy". And we wonder why Gipiemme does not get any respect??
Sorry, End of the week retrogrouch rant, I guess.....

Chombi
Old 01-20-12, 02:56 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I installed it back in the day, it was a very small step up from Zeus in fit and finish (not good). We used to say, "Gipiemme out of my money".
Old 01-20-12, 03:04 PM
Chombi

Originally Posted by Mr IGH
I installed it back in the day, it was a very small step up from Zeus in fit and finish (not good). We used to say, "Gipiemme out of my money".
I did notice that a lot of Zeus components look kinda....uhmmm........"primitive". But many rave about the Zeus 2000 line though, and from what I have seen, the 2000s look pretty nice.

Chombi
Old 01-20-12, 04:44 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Give us a chance mate, some of us have a time zone difference and were asleep or at work when you posted!

Gipiemme - at the minimum it makes an interesting alternative to Campagnolo. For those of us lucky enough to have a garage stuffed with Campagnolo equipped bikes, this is important to stop us from going to the Dark Side! Seriously, I've been building with Suntour lately and am impressed - but "Sh*tman* would be a step too far! Haven't managed to get any Gipiemme yet, but Ofmega Vantage is definitely as good as my Chorus group of the same era - but a bit lighter and a little shinier too!
Old 01-20-12, 10:40 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chombi
I did notice that a lot of Zeus components look kinda....uhmmm........"primitive". But many rave about the Zeus 2000 line though, and from what I have seen, the 2000s look pretty nice.

Chombi
I like Zeus stuff (at least, the non-junky stuff, like Criterium or 2000-level stuff, for example), but yes, the precision was generally not up to Campagnolo's level, to say the least. The funniest thing is that Zeus used to insist that it was in fact Campagnolo that had copied their parts. Um, yeah, right, whatever you say, guys.

That said, I think that the design of the Zeus 2000 freewheel is brilliant - one body makes 5/6/7-speeds, only the last (single or double) cog threads on, whereas the rest slide onto a single spline diameter (like a cassette, basically, but this was pre-cassettes), and the bodies are nearly bullet-proof. The cogs, well, not so much, but then neither were the Winner alloy cogs, or most other alloy cogs in the mid-1970s, for that matter. And a Zeus 2000 freewheel makes a really nice 'clack' when you coast....

Last edited by 753proguy; 01-20-12 at 10:41 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 01-20-12, 10:58 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

I read that ealier Gipiemme were just rebadged Simplex.

Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-21-12 at 12:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.