Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Wheels of 32 hole or 36 hole?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Wheels of 32 hole or 36 hole?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 01:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
As I mentioned, for me, carrying the right spokes means 10 different lengths, the youngest when we tour next will have a 20" wheel, the middle a 24" wheel, the eldest at 26" wheel, and my wife and I run different rims, when she weights low 100s there's no reason to use the same rim as me in the high 200s. Z bend is the best way for me to be assured of a fitted spoke without carrying a bundle. I can hit a shop if I need more then the 3 spokes I carried.
I mis-understood your post, I did not realize 10 different spokes on one trip.

I store my spare spokes in the seatpost on my bikes, that way the right sized spokes are with each bike, I do not get confused about which spares go with which bike.

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
My touring bike weighed 80-100 lbs fully loaded for a two-week trip. That's not unusual. But you really don't want to do that sort of thing on 32-spoke wheels.
I have no idea what my bike weighed but I had a couple weeks of food on it at the time I took the photo below. I would not be surprised if it weighed 120 pounds, maybe a bit more. The frame was rated to carry 60kg, not counting the weight of the rider, so I was well within specification. Very heavy duty (and heavy) bike.

Speaking of spokes, two days before I took the photo above, not sure what happened but I heard a very odd noise and my bike shook a bit. I was on a very rough road with lots of cobbles. A short time later I could feel the rear rim rubbing on a brake pad with each revolution. It was a very long day, I wanted to make a campsite, so I kept going.

I looked at it the next day. I think the front wheel threw a rock into the rear wheel or something like that and I think the rock jammed between the frame and spoke to put the dent in the spoke in the photo below. The spoke was loose, which is why my brake was rubbing. I suspected that whatever impact caused the spoke to bend like that stripped the threads in teh nipple or the spoke. I had spare spokes, but I really did not want to pull the tire and rim tape off to replace it. Instead of just replacing the spoke, I first decided to see if the threads were stripped, and I found that I could tighten up the spoke to true up the wheel without replacing the spoke. So, did not need to replace it.

When I got home, I did replace the spoke.

I am just guessing that a rock got into the rear wheel, but I really wish I knew with certainty what caused that.
Old 12-09-20, 01:49 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I'm sure cost and availability are the main reasons that triple butted spokes are not used more often, and the fact certain hubs don't match up well.
Chicken meet egg. People don’t build with them so that they don’t get used as often. They don’t get used as often which means the price is higher (“supply and demand” is a bit simplistic). Higher price, fewer people use them. Round and round it goes.

As for not fitting in hubs, I’ve used them to build wheels with Shimano XT and XTR, a couple of different Phil Wood models, several White Industry models from several different eras, Paul FHub and RHub, GT Hadleys, Cannondale house brand, Ringle’ Super Bubba, and some Chinese hubs that were purple. I’ve probably used other hubs over the years but can’t recall exactly which ones. The above list is still a very wide range of hubs. The only ones that didn’t fit were the Ringle’. And that problem was easily fixed by drilling the holes just a little bit. I don’t know that I would do that with Ringle in general but the hub is my winter hub and only sees limited use.

Honestly, the way that hubs are made, triple butted spokes should have been made from the very beginning. They fit the hubs better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-09-20, 01:53 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
At 280 lbs of bike and rider, no way would I want 32 spokes on the rear unless maybe we are talking 26" wheels here, and I would still likely go 36 if possible. 700c wheels, definitely 36 spokes, not up for debate. If you have ever toured and had continuous wheel problems, you will know what a miserable ordeal it can be. More plush ride with 4 less spokes is BS when it comes to loaded touring. This is of course only my opinion but it is derived after many years of actual touring.
Yep. I went with 36 hole 26 inch rims. Overkill? I don't care. I haven't had to replace a spoke since buying it in 2011.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-09-20, 01:55 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
If its a 1 off tour I definitely would have gone 32's. A couple weeks on satisfactory wheels versus several years on overbuilt built wheels after the tour. But thats me.

Sounds like you made a good choice for you!

Good luck & hope you have fun!
There are no negatives to an overbuilt wheel. 4 extra spokes add about 25 g to a wheel. That less than an ounce. Those 4 extra spokes add significantly to the strength and durability of the wheel. Using triple butted spokes adds about 7g total to the wheel but increase strength and durability by roughly 50% over straight spokes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-09-20, 02:12 PM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by I hope the OP is still reading this thread now that his decision as been made [/QUOTE

I am. And appreciating the variety of tips. I have researched rolling resistances per rim size per tire size to dial in my ideal tire pressure...for my road bike. It hadn’t occurred to me to wonder about weight-variable influences on front vs back touring wheels.

[QUOTE =I noticed. He has not toured yet. I assumed he would find out that the big pile of stuff did not fit in the panniers and would need to cull out some stuff
I figured it sounded like a lot but bike plus empty panniers plus water gets me above 40 lbs. I watch suggestions about what to bring from countless youtube gear guides and I can’t see obvious places to cut meaningful weight. I’m even resigned to the loss of the ceremonial bottle of scotch
Old 12-09-20, 04:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Jno
... I’m even resigned to the loss of the ceremonial bottle of scotch
Blasphemy.

I usually use a Nalgene lexan bottle for alcohol, glass breaks.

How many in your group?

Tentatively where is your start and end point?
Old 12-09-20, 05:53 PM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Blasphemy.

I usually use a Nalgene lexan bottle for alcohol, glass breaks.

How many in your group?

Tentatively where is your start and end point?

4 (but only two scotch drinkers, so that helps weight management!)
Vancouver start. If things work out, we hope to go to St.John’s Newfoundland, but we’re all closing in on 60 so we’ll see.

Last edited by Jno; 12-09-20 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For Jno:
Old 12-09-20, 06:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
He have me two reasons, and I suspect a third:
1. Slightly more flex means better, more forgiving ride
2. The wide internal rim width helps spread load so “these days”, 36 is overkill.
3. He didn’t say but my research has indicated that it is pretty tough finding 36h rims.
Were talking about such a small difference in stiffness here, that you can attribute it more to dampening road vibration and resonance rather than actually softening impacts.

There are so many different factors which determine how durable a rim is, that spoke count is just one small factor . You can build an absurdly strong rim with less than 32 spokes.

How comfortable the ride is has more to do with how well you fit on the frame and how you ride it.
Old 12-09-20, 09:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Jno
4 (but only two scotch drinkers, so that helps weight management!)
Vancouver start. If things work out, we hope to go to St.John’s Newfoundland, but we’re all closing in on 60 so we’ll see.
My trip in summer 2019, I did not venture onto a ferry to check out Newfoundland. Thought about it but decided against it. Just in case you decide to check out the French islands near St Johns, bring your passports.

I flew in and out of Halifax. There was a shuttle van from the airport that went to the downtown train station. I had my S&S coupled bike, thus my bike was in normal airline size luggage. I can't comment on how easy it is to get a full size bike box to the airport if you fly out of Halifax.

In Halifax, there was a very good bike shop, Cyclesmith. Very helpful. If you leave from there, if you contact them in advance they might be able to have some empty bike boxes for you when you leave.
https://www.cyclesmith.ca/

Some of my trips, I carry a spare tire, some I do not. If I was doing a trip with the distance you are planning, I would bring a spare. Usually, if I bring a spare it is not intended to replace one of my tires, instead it is a very lightweight tire that is intended to be good enough to get me to the nearest bike shop. But a trip of that distance, I might be tempted to carry a replacement tire instead of an emergency one.

You are going to have a great time.
Old 12-09-20, 10:27 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
32 hole rims offer better ride (less harsh)
That seems ridiculous to me. I doubt there's any noticeable difference at all.

The only relatively minor disadvantage of 36-spoke wheels is a modest weight penalty, which isn't really a concern on tour. Considering the heavy load your wheels will be carrying, I'd go with 36-spokes if it's an option.
Old 12-09-20, 10:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Some of my trips, I carry a spare tire, some I do not. If I was doing a trip with the distance you are planning, I would bring a spare. Usually, if I bring a spare it is not intended to replace one of my tires, instead it is a very lightweight tire that is intended to be good enough to get me to the nearest bike shop. But a trip of that distance, I might be tempted to carry a replacement tire instead of an emergency one.

You are going to have a great time.
Not the worst idea, I buy new tires for tours and the clement, now donnelly xplor I like is really sturdy and has never been a problem. But I could see if going past 800-1000 miles the lighter weight folding version would only add a lb and not be that bad an idea just in case. Good bailout should it be necessary. Could just strap it to the underside of the seat pack.
Old 12-10-20, 03:42 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The only ones that didn’t fit were the Ringle’.

Honestly, the way that hubs are made, triple butted spokes should have been made from the very beginning. They fit the hubs better.
Add Rohloff to your list of "dont fit".
Might have mentioned it previously but the Alpines were top of my list after reading your recommendations back around 2011/2012 but alas they weren't suitable, so I opted for CX-Rays which have worked a treat.
Haven't broken a single spoke on this build although I do get the tension checked bi-annually.
Old 12-10-20, 04:14 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Cassette lock ring tool is small and light. Using a hacksaw and file, I "adjusted" a cone wrench to fit on the cassette tool, that saves some volume and weight. And several years ago I wrote up a post on a substitute for a chain whip, that post is at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/8...ip-travel.html

That thread also listed some other options to the standard lock ring tool and wrench.
I'm trying to understand when you would want to remove the cassette if you can just pop off the entire cassette body with a minor modification and an M6 bolt?

Last edited by JaccoW; 12-10-20 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-10-20, 05:19 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I'm trying to understand when you would want to remove the cassette if you can just pop off the entire cassette body with a minor modification and an M6 bolt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXRnsF3sRDg
That seems like a pretty janky solution that as far as I can tell only works with that particular hub. Also with cartridge bearing hubs the issue is often not getting the cassette and freehub body out but rather getting them back in. In my Hope Pro 3 I can just pull the freehub body and cassette off. The actual problem comes with putting the freehub body back in. With hope hubs you need to seat the freehub seal. Can be done by bodging it with a screwdriver (not recommended, seals and metal tools aren't a good match), but usually is much easier with a special seating tool. So if you end up in a situation where you pull both the cassette and freehub body out might have some trouble getting them back in.

In Shimano hubs the freehub screws in to the hub and freehub removal is an absolute chore so not worth it.

Personally I use the NBT2
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/ma...2-tool-review/
Works as a cassette lockring and as a chainwhip. Very handy.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 12-10-20, 08:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by JaccoW
If you try to tell me to get rid of an extremely reliable and durable hub that has quarter inch steel ball bearings and a steel axle, don't bother trying to convince me that your hub is somehow better for touring.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-10-20, 10:27 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
My Rohloff certainly is OK with 32 x 2.0 spokes with locking nipples. 120 lb bike + 175 me.
My SA XL-FDD has 36 x 2.3/ 2.0. 27,000 miles and counting for a LONG time.