Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Swollen Head--Really

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Swollen Head--Really

Old 10-27-15, 10:48 AM
  #1  
Shuffleman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Shuffleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,296

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swollen Head--Really

This may seem like a weird topic but it happened to me. This weekend I participated in a Century ride. I wore the same helmet that I have had for a year and had no issues with.
My forehead was starting to kill me in 2 spots. I took it off and asked a fellow rider if I had a bee sting there. He said that I had two purple whelps but it looked like helmet marks. At that point, I noticed that my helmet was feeling far tighter than normal. (It took 2 days for that swelling to go down. It was 2 dime sized spots).
I did neglect to put on sunscreen. I was cramping a lot during the ride so I was probably dehydrated. I have never had my head swell though. Prior to going to work this morning, I put my helmet on to test my theory. It fit fine and did not rub in that spot.
I am not Barry Bonds so my cranium did not swell to that degree but I was curious if there is enough swelling from heat exposure or dehydration to cause this. Anybody else experience this?
Shuffleman is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 04:52 PM
  #2  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,681

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
had to mention (just because it struck me so funny) that whelp(s) is a noun that refers to a puppy, or a verb when referring to a female dog's birthing process. i think the OP meant welt.

don't be alarmed OP, it happens to the best of us.

OTOH, the 'fellow rider' may have actually said 'whelps'... in which case you're off the hook, and my sincere apologies.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-27-15 at 04:57 PM.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 04:57 PM
  #3  
NYMXer
Senior Member
 
NYMXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 1,495

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Whelp, isn't your helmet adjustable? Sorry, I couldn't help it...
NYMXer is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 05:08 PM
  #4  
StanSeven
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Posts: 13,415

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 631 Posts
Did you get any compliments before the ride?
StanSeven is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 05:14 PM
  #5  
FLvector
Stand and Deliver
 
FLvector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 3,340

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a common symptom resulting from drafting behind a very cute and shapely female. Stick to the males with a hairy ass and thin bibs and it won't happen again.
FLvector is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 05:29 PM
  #6  
thin_concrete
Achtung!
 
thin_concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Charlestown, MA
Posts: 1,073

Bikes: A couple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This happens to me when I get really hot (dehydrated) - sunglasses, ski goggles and helmet, hats, etc. I try to keep hydrated to beat that, but it does still happen from time to time.

Go Gators!
thin_concrete is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 05:38 PM
  #7  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 17,671

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3034 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 715 Posts
Yep. Sometimes on a long hot climb it feels like my head will explode. I also think it's dehydration.
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 08:10 PM
  #8  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,681

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector View Post
This is a common symptom resulting from drafting behind a very cute and shapely female. Stick to the males with a hairy ass and thin bibs and it won't happen again.
hey! i've got enough people tailing me as it is. don't encourage them.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 09:17 PM
  #9  
Shuffleman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Shuffleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,296

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer View Post
Whelp, isn't your helmet adjustable? Sorry, I couldn't help it...
I truly did not realize it was my helmet until the last stage. At that point I adjusted it. The next question is, if it takes me that long to figure it out, why bother wearing the helmet. It clearly isn't protecting much.
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
Did you get any compliments before the ride?
I wish. I do have a vivid imagination though.
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
had to mention (just because it struck me so funny) that whelp(s) is a noun that refers to a puppy, or a verb when referring to a female dog's birthing process. i think the OP meant welt.

don't be alarmed OP, it happens to the best of us.

OTOH, the 'fellow rider' may have actually said 'whelps'... in which case you're off the hook, and my sincere apologies.
I will take the blame as I wrote it. You are correct though.
Originally Posted by FLvector View Post
This is a common symptom resulting from drafting behind a very cute and shapely female. Stick to the males with a hairy ass and thin bibs and it won't happen again.
now you are scaring me as I was with a group of men.
Originally Posted by thin_concrete View Post
This happens to me when I get really hot (dehydrated) - sunglasses, ski goggles and helmet, hats, etc. I try to keep hydrated to beat that, but it does still happen from time to time.

Go Gators!
Big game this weekend.
Shuffleman is offline  
Old 10-27-15, 11:19 PM
  #10  
smarkinson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman View Post
now you are scaring me as I was with a group of men.
Bike curious?
smarkinson is offline  
Old 10-28-15, 06:36 AM
  #11  
NYMXer
Senior Member
 
NYMXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 1,495

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
shuffleman, you wrote:

"I truly did not realize it was my helmet until the last stage. At that point I adjusted it. The next question is, if it takes me that long to figure it out, why bother wearing the helmet. It clearly isn't protecting much."

A cycling helmet protects your brain, so I'd say that's a lot. It does so while allowing air circulation and ventilation. I wouldn't ride without one and while mountain biking Sunday, I went over the bars and broke my helmet. I was glad I had it on, it did it's job because it's better to break open the helmet than your skull. I already have a new helmet and will wear it.

Last thought about your original question, I'm thinking maybe your helmet was too loose and moved around ever so slightly?
NYMXer is offline  
Old 10-28-15, 10:14 AM
  #12  
Shuffleman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Shuffleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,296

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson View Post
Bike curious?
Only if it is a De Rosa. That may do it.
Originally Posted by NYMXer View Post
shuffleman, you wrote:

"I truly did not realize it was my helmet until the last stage. At that point I adjusted it. The next question is, if it takes me that long to figure it out, why bother wearing the helmet. It clearly isn't protecting much."

A cycling helmet protects your brain, so I'd say that's a lot. It does so while allowing air circulation and ventilation. I wouldn't ride without one and while mountain biking Sunday, I went over the bars and broke my helmet. I was glad I had it on, it did it's job because it's better to break open the helmet than your skull. I already have a new helmet and will wear it.

Last thought about your original question, I'm thinking maybe your helmet was too loose and moved around ever so slightly?
I was only joking about not wearing a helmet. It was my way of saying that there is not much to protect in the way of a brain since I did not think of adjusting it. I do not think that the helmet was too loose. I honestly think that it may be border line too tight. When I got dehydrated perhaps I bloated a little causing the helmet to dig in to my cranium at those two contact points. Either way, my "horns" are now gone and all is good.
Shuffleman is offline  
Old 10-28-15, 10:29 AM
  #13  
NYMXer
Senior Member
 
NYMXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 1,495

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, haha, thanks for the explanation, I get it now.
I said "too loose" thinking your helmet was moving slightly and rubbing on those two spots?
I'm glad your better.
NYMXer is offline  
Old 10-28-15, 11:58 AM
  #14  
ColaJacket
Senior Member
 
ColaJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,892

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector View Post
This is a common symptom resulting from drafting behind a very cute and shapely female. Stick to the males with a hairy ass and thin bibs and it won't happen again.
While the view isn't as good, the drafting is normally better.

GH
ColaJacket is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PatrickGSR94
Advocacy & Safety
49
06-04-12 09:54 AM
TomD77
Fifty Plus (50+)
32
08-02-11 08:00 PM
AcornMan
General Cycling Discussion
13
08-27-10 02:00 AM
zeppinger
Advocacy & Safety
15
07-28-10 10:06 AM
buzzman
Advocacy & Safety
155
05-22-10 06:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.