Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever bought a stolen bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone ever bought a stolen bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-23, 12:19 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It was the way of the world and we didn't think too much about it.
My father-in-law worked as a bike messenger in San Francisco in the 1930's. One time, he was telling me about it and he said that if you got a flat tire you'd just find another bike with a good tire, take that and leave yours. He said that's just the way people did things. I'm not sure that was as universal as he claimed.
Old 01-28-23, 12:33 PM
zedda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
Yes, and it was a pretty painful experience. Took the bus down from Portland to Salem to purchase a Rivendell Sam Hillborne for $325. As I was heading home some guy proceeds to pull the bike off the front rack of the bus. I head out to confront the guy, only to find that the guy is the bike's owner's friend. Had photos of the bike and serial number to boot, proving ownership. I was pretty gutted after that. I probably should have known it was stolen, especially at such a good price.
This sounds to me like the seller was in companionship with the guy who intercepted you in the bus. IMO highly unlikely that the friend of the owner happen to have photos and proof of the bike ownership of his friend with him, much likelier he was somehow following you on the bus to reclaim the bike. In other words, I'm afraid you got scammed...

Last edited by zedda; 01-28-23 at 02:15 PM.
Likes For zedda:
Old 01-28-23, 01:04 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Several years ago I found a Schwinn Cimarron (sans wheels) partially submerged in a creek near our home. I picked it up and brought it home and called the police to see if it had been reported as stolen. An officer came to look at the bike and said the database was down. He advised me to trash it.
I was not about to toss it, so I put it in my shed after cleaning it up a bit. A couple of hours later I got a call-back from the police. The bike had been stolen and reported, so the owner got everything but the wheels back.
Old 01-28-23, 02:04 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
My father-in-law worked as a bike messenger in San Francisco in the 1930's. One time, he was telling me about it and he said that if you got a flat tire you'd just find another bike with a good tire, take that and leave yours. He said that's just the way people did things. I'm not sure that was as universal as he claimed.
Cheeky Anarchist....
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-28-23, 03:14 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by zedda
This sounds to me like the seller was in companionship with the guy who intercepted you in the bus. IMO highly unlikely that the friend of the owner happen to have photos and proof of the bike ownership of his friend with him, much likelier he was somehow following you on the bus to reclaim the bike. In other words, I'm afraid you got scammed...
Funny that you say that, when I told my classmates and professor about this they said the exact same thing! That said, I still don't think they were in cahoots together, and that I was just really unlucky. The bus just happened to run alongside a bike shop where the owner's friend worked at, and it just so happened that they were closing right as the bus was passing by. I think a lot of things coincided that day, and my judgement was clouded by my greed when I knew it was too good to be true. Well, you live and you learn (mostly).
Old 01-29-23, 01:05 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
A gang of tweakers used to hang on the corner of Shattuck and University in Berkeley just down from the now closed Missing Link.
One sunny day I fell asleep in the grass on campus. I woke to find my beloved Bianchi no longer by my side. They also got my combination lock stupidly open to the code. I visited those tweakers more than once over the next few days letting them know that I would remove the hands of whoever took my bike. About a week later I found it locked in the rack outside the BART, my combination still worked and I have it to this day.
Likes For brixxton:
Old 01-29-23, 01:27 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
Funny that you say that, when I told my classmates and professor about this they said the exact same thing! That said, I still don't think they were in cahoots together, and that I was just really unlucky. The bus just happened to run alongside a bike shop where the owner's friend worked at, and it just so happened that they were closing right as the bus was passing by. I think a lot of things coincided that day, and my judgement was clouded by my greed when I knew it was too good to be true. Well, you live and you learn (mostly).
I think I'd tend to agree. Possession being 9/10 of the law and all, a scam that allows you to get onto a bus with it is pretty risky on their part. Plus presumably they had no way to know you were going to ride away on the bus vs putting it on a bike rack on a car and being long gone.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 01-29-23, 06:08 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
A fellow contacted me and made an appointment to see a Trek bike I'm selling on the same day. When he shows up, turns out it's not a member of the general public, but rather a police detective with a uniformed officer in tow. Says he thinks the bike I'm selling is stolen and is here to investigate.
I have not bought a stolen bike. But I have missed out on one that I thought was hot that sold while I was checking with a friend that works for the local police department. As I mentioned the last time a thread like this started, I was basically told they wouldn't investigate if it was. I'm glad there is a police department somewhere that gives a damn.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-29-23, 08:24 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I have found dumped bikes on our property and being known as the bike guy in our rural community near Tucson neighbors have dropped them off to me. Never found a stolen bike data base or police dept. to be helpful. As Albrt said above in Tucson you know if you loose a nice bike down here to check Phoenix sales for your bike. Apparently there are crews doing this sort of thing.
Old 01-29-23, 10:54 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I'm certain the Dawes covered in black electrical tape was stolen, like 50 years ago. I bought it from the used bike store. It had a driver's license engraved on it next to the serial. There was no record of the # it was before the age of computer records, let alone bike index serial numbers

Yep, I sold it to. The buyer asked if it was stolen. I told him yeah probably lol
Old 01-29-23, 11:26 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Are you suggesting that strawberries migrate?
Not at all!

They could be carried!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 01-29-23, 11:46 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 319 Posts
In the early 1980s I worked at a bike shop in MD --we'd regularly get deliveries of bikes and the bikes in boxes would sit for a bit on the sidewalk outside the mechanics' area (fully visible from the shop) for a bit until we found time/space to put them away. One day someone in a pickup slowed down, passenger jumped out, grabbed a bike in a box, tossed it into the truck, and they drove off. Bummer! One stolen bike.

Imagine my stunned surprise when a couple of weeks later a guy shows up and asks if we assemble bikes -- I say, "yep". He brings the box to the side entrance -- I look at the box, and realize it's the same one stolen earlier from us -- even had our address label on the box! I said something to the guy and he tried to grab the box and run, but I sprawled myself on top of the box and shouted -- a couple of other guys cane out of the shop and the "customer" ran away... without the bike in a box!

We always wondered what the story was -- it was hard to imagine someone could be stupid enough to bring a bike they knew was stolen to the shop it was stolen from to be assembled... but we'll never know

That was a fun day!
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 01-29-23, 12:55 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
We always wondered what the story was -- it was hard to imagine someone could be stupid enough to bring a bike they knew was stolen to the shop it was stolen from to be assembled... but we'll never know

That was a fun day!
I was in our local REI a month or two ago, idly looking at a few bikes. One was a Salsa I think, but it had a bunch of non-standard parts on it. My impression was that it was a bit of an upgrade, and about that time the sales person happened by, and told me the story. Briefly, it was a similar sort of thing. The thief had taken the bike for a parking-lot test-ride and didn't return it. Months later, the bike with upgraded components comes back, brought in by the original thief, who wanted help putting on new bar tape. Unfortunately, I had the impression that they let the thief go without the bike, and without pressing charges. (It is catch and release here anyway.)

So, yes, some people really are that stupid. Or smart.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-29-23, 01:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
... The thief had taken the bike for a parking-lot test-ride and didn't return it. Months later, the bike with upgraded components comes back, brought in by the original thief, who wanted help... they let the thief go without the bike, and without pressing charges. It is catch and release here anyway.
Bring back the gibbeting cage!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-30-23, 01:25 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Not at all!

They could be carried!
By an African swallow, sure, but not by a European swallow. That's my point . . . .
Old 01-30-23, 04:10 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Yes several if police auctions count, but yes in another way perhaps - had one stolen, posted lots of signs and told all the streetfolk, got a phone call and met and bought it back for the reward I'd offered.

Probably helped that that was a recognzable bike, a Moulton F frame, but the Brooks Pro on it never came back.
Old 01-30-23, 06:56 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
By an African swallow, sure, but not by a European swallow. That's my point . . . .
Oh yeah, I agree with that.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 01-30-23, 08:07 PM
GTBruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Schwinn Cimarron

My Schwinn Cimarron was stolen in 1994. Eleven years later I found it listed on Craigslist in a city 3 states from my home. I purchased it from a really nice guy that got it from his local co-op as a project to be completed. So, I actually bought the same bike twice!
Likes For GTBruiser: