Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

All seatpost mounting paste created equal?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-29-22, 04:13 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Is all seatpost mounting paste created equal? My bike's manual says to only use FSA seat post mounting paste. BUT I have some Park Tool paste already and I am wondering if I can get away using the Park stuff. Thoughts?
Old 07-29-22, 04:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Probably not all created equal.

But most all name brands that have been around awhile are probably satisfactory for the purpose.
Old 07-30-22, 09:08 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
And my Volkswagen oil cap where you add the oil says to use Castrol! I've used Mobil 1 for 6 years now with no issues. I'd imagine there might some differences, hard to imagine the Park stuff isn't OK. I wouldn't use something no name from eBay or somewhere else out there in internet land.
Old 07-30-22, 04:44 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
It doesn’t matter which one you use because none of them really work all that well. If you’re expecting miracles- it’s not going to happen.
Old 07-30-22, 05:45 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I think the FSA stuff is the "good" stuff, essentially repackaged Tacx brand carbon grease. It's more rubbery than sandy in texture and tends to hold much better. Pretty much every other brand is the gritty/sandy variety.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 07-31-22, 11:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Hijacking this thread a bit, do any of the "carbon" assembly pastes work on metal seatposts in a metal frame? I have a Thomson aluminum seatpost in a Litespeed Ti frame that has begun to creep down slightly during a ride even with the seatpost clamp ( both the OEM and a replacement Wolf Tooth clamp) tightened beyond the recommended maximum torque. This post and frame worked fine together for over 55,000 miles so this is a new problem. I was wondering if the paste would help here.
Old 08-01-22, 01:00 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Hijacking this thread a bit, do any of the "carbon" assembly pastes work on metal seatposts in a metal frame? I have a Thomson aluminum seatpost in a Litespeed Ti frame that has begun to creep down slightly during a ride even with the seatpost clamp ( both the OEM and a replacement Wolf Tooth clamp) tightened beyond the recommended maximum torque. This post and frame worked fine together for over 55,000 miles so this is a new problem. I was wondering if the paste would help here.
Why not just try it?
And why not start a new thread since it has nothing to do with this one? The forum has infinite capacity for new threads, and a specific thread title for your issue will get you results.
Old 08-01-22, 01:10 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
... I was wondering if the paste would help here.
Had a similar issue and paste slowed the creep, what stopped it was grease plus valve grinding compound.
Old 08-01-22, 04:34 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I decided to go with the FSA stuff in the end. If the manufacturer recommended FSA, who am I to argue? Thanks for all the replies.