Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Giordana Bicycles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Giordana Bicycles

Old 01-29-23, 02:30 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 261 Posts
Giordana Bicycles

There are about a bazillion posts on Giordana in the search so I'll just cop to lazy and ask again. Were the Giordana framesets built by others than Billato?
cheers
Charlie
Old 01-29-23, 03:30 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
legend has it that a few of the first examples were built by Dario Pegoretti and then mass-production handed off to Billato.
AFAIK there wasn't another major contractor who built them but...maybe there are "other legends".
Old 01-29-23, 03:35 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
legend has it that a few of the first examples were built by Dario Pegoretti and then mass-production handed off to Billato.
AFAIK there wasn't another major contractor who built them but...maybe there are "other legends".
What Nelson Frazier at Gita told me in an email years ago:

"The Giordana frames were quite nice and, especially the ones built were Excel tubing, were pretty unique and cutting edge for the time. The geometry was dialed in by the owner of Gita with assistance from Dario Pegoretti, who built most of the prototype frames. The head engineer at Excel, Isadoro, was a bit of a “mad scientist” who came up with some wild ideas to try for tubing. Someplace here we have a superlight steel tubeset with a carbon fiber wrap on the inside so it could be welded! Excel had the capability to make one-off tubesets long before anyone else did and were able to do a lot of experimentation. Unfortunately, Isadoro disappeared during a sailing expedition and most of this capability was lost. This was also around the time aluminum frames were becoming commonplace in the peloton and steel was on its way out. There were some truly revolutionary prototypes built about this time that never saw production. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it."