Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Stem ??

Old 11-09-19, 05:46 PM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Stem ??

What stem and bar model do you have on your track bikes? thank,s

Last edited by brooklyn6640; 11-09-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 06:19 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon Pro vibe sprint 105mm
Old 11-10-19, 02:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
What’s up with your punctuation? Are you using a non-standard keyboard or is this just your thing?
Old 03-16-20, 04:17 AM
2500W

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
Well, currently it is the only weak point of my track bike. Initially, that were the cheap spokes and rear tubular tyre used without sealant until I solved all that successfully.

My bike is steel Tommasini, 1" fork, i.e. it may accept a 22.2 quill only. I dislike aluminium Italian quill stems of 1980s. So I renewed the bike three years ago by usung M-Wave quill adaptor and a standard 28.6 stem. Two years later I broke up the quill adaptor while rode on the street. Then I bought a Nitto NT quill stem 110mm that appeared too flexible. Currently, I use an old AL quill stem, thick, 140mm.

So now I consider either buying Nitto NJ Pro Steel Stem or ordering a custom steel quill adaptor to a local craftsman. However, I am very puzzled of Nittos weight specifications. NJ 140mm, 58-degree is listed 475g, while its 65-degree counterpart I prefer is 375g only. Is this a mistake or the latter is truly lighter and softer?
Old 03-16-20, 11:22 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2500W
Well, currently it is the only weak point of my track bike. Initially, that were the cheap spokes and rear tubular tyre used without sealant until I solved all that successfully.

My bike is steel Tommasini, 1" fork, i.e. it may accept a 22.2 quill only. I dislike aluminium Italian quill stems of 1980s. So I renewed the bike three years ago by usung M-Wave quill adaptor and a standard 28.6 stem. Two years later I broke up the quill adaptor while rode on the street. Then I bought a Nitto NT quill stem 110mm that appeared too flexible. Currently, I use an old AL quill stem, thick, 140mm.

So now I consider either buying Nitto NJ Pro Steel Stem or ordering a custom steel quill adaptor to a local craftsman. However, I am very puzzled of Nittos weight specifications. NJ 140mm, 58-degree is listed 475g, while its 65-degree counterpart I prefer is 375g only. Is this a mistake or the latter is truly lighter and softer?
Have you considered converting your bike to eliminate the quill adaptor? There are several videos on YouTube. Search for "convert a quill bike stem to threadless". This may be more complicated for a track bike unless you go with a steel fork.

Incidentally I used a Technomic quill stem on my old track bike (now used on my basement trainer) for years with no problem.
Likes For 700wheel:
Old 03-17-20, 07:09 AM
2500W

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thank you 700wheel, I just now became aware of the availability of 1 inch threadless headsets. Recently, I even considered the possibility of replacing current threaded steerer with a longer threaded one so to screw up the Campagnolo cone and then somewhat mount a standard stem above it.
Old 03-17-20, 04:20 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
3T ARX stems (I have a collection of the older 4 bolt ones) and BT bars
Old 03-18-20, 06:22 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I am a big fan of Thomson X4 stems. They are technically mountain bike stems, but that is fine. According to the Fairwheel Bikes test, they are the third stiffest stem tested, after the Pro Vibe Sprint and Zipp SL, but at a fraction of the cost.

Stem Review - Fairwheel Bikes Blog