Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What caused my wheel to break?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-24-21, 10:30 PM
Birdbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About a year ago, I ordered a cheap ebike from walmart. I had to return it after the first day because my rim broke.

I ordered a more expensive ebike a few days ago, so i want to make sure the same thing doesnt happen.

so last year, my cheap ebike arrived and I put it together myself. I rode it about once or twice for a couple hours. At the end of riding I noticed the front wheel kept touching the brake pads and it wobbled when I spun the wheel.

I took the wheel to the bike shop and they said it needed trued. They called me a bit later and said my rim was shot and I needed a new one.

I don't know much about bikes, so i'm wondering what the cause was.

were the spokes too loose/too tight and me riding it like that ended up ruining the rim? Thats what I originally thought, but I read about people riding bikes with loose or broken spokes all the time and treating it as a small thing, so i'm not so sure.

​​​​​​could it have already been broken and it had nothing to do with me riding it?

Is a wheel out of true or with loose/too tight spokes really gonna ruin the rim from riding it?
Old 04-24-21, 10:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
How can we tell what went wrong a year ago to a wheel we can't see or touch? All sorts of stuff might have happened like shipping damage or initial assembly issue. or a incident we haven't been told about. Andy
Old 04-24-21, 10:49 PM
Birdbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I'm looking to get an idea of what it was. I know its not really possible to know for sure. I'm trying to avoid the same thing happening to my new ebike, so i'm trying to understand the causes for this stuff.

i'm just wondering if riding a bike with a wheel out of true like that could be what ruins the rim. I dont know anything about bikes so i'm not sure what happens in these situations.

Last edited by Birdbikes; 04-24-21 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-24-21, 11:02 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
While it is hard to say what is wrong, it is odd that a nearly new rim would be shot without any explanation. People are able to salvage some pretty far gone rims and use them until they crack or just wear out.

John
Old 04-25-21, 06:55 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Also, did the shop explain in detail what the problem was? I'd be suspicious of the shop's diagnosis of "rim was shot" unless I were there to get the explanation of what was wrong.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-25-21, 07:20 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If the rim is straight and the spoked seem tight and even tension, then you should be fine.

the only way I can see a wheel failing in a few rides that seemed ok when it came out of the box would be wildly uneven tension. I suspect that “cheap e-bike from Walmart” is core to the problem.
Old 04-25-21, 09:18 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Most direct to consumer stuff (with exceptions, like say Canyon) comes with pre assembly pretty similar to how bike shops receive bikes, which is to say they need professional assembly. Most decent bike shops true wheels and adjust spoke tension on new bike builds. A lot of consumer direct ebikes compound this issue by using super thick gauge spokes because they look strong, but in reality it makes it harder for the wheel building robots to get them to acceptably high tension and they're especially prone to failure, ironically. They're also frankly kind of a pain in the ass to work on (weight, the extra drag of the hub motor, uncommon spoke and nipple sizes). The shop might have been simplifying their explanation and the spokes were way too off in tension and they thought that even if they replaced some and or trued it was likely to fail soon. Or if some spokes in a very uneven wheel are way too high in tension then it cause the rim itself to crack. I don't have the wheel in front of me so I can't say.

As a mechanic, I have mostly non-fuzzy feelings about a lot of direct to consumer ebikes due to quality (I'm fine with the competition of the business model, personally) and the misleading impressions the brands make about the ease of user assembly, but if you find something you like bring it to a professional to assemble unless you're interested in building a strong skillset as a home mechanic.
Old 04-25-21, 10:32 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Two bikes, two broken rims. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but my bet is there is something goofy going on here that you haven't mentioned.
Old 04-25-21, 02:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Two bikes, two broken rims. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but my bet is there is something goofy going on here that you haven't mentioned.
^This^ Strongly leaning towards 'operator error'.
Old 04-25-21, 02:23 PM
Birdbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not two broken bikes.

It was one broken bike I had last year, and i'm trying to figure out the cause so I can avoid the same thing happening to the ebike I just ordered.
Old 04-25-21, 02:31 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbikes
Its not two broken bikes.

It was one broken bike I had last year, and i'm trying to figure out the cause so I can avoid the same thing happening to the ebike I just ordered.
Bring it to a professional mechanic in the box. Specifically mention you're concerned about wheel failure. Pay them appropriate money. Enjoy your bike.
Likes For cpach:
Old 04-26-21, 03:09 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I am with cpach.

The chances of having the same kind of failure is much less than having a different kind of failure. If you are not experienced with bikes, it is good to find someone expert who does not mind talking you through what they have had to do to your bike.
Old 04-26-21, 03:10 AM
Jmlim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe spoke needs to change
Old 04-27-21, 12:19 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Sorry, I'm looking to get an idea of what it was. I know its not really possible to know for sure. I'm trying to avoid the same thing happening to my new ebike, so i'm trying to understand the causes for this stuff.

i'm just wondering if riding a bike with a wheel out of true like that could be what ruins the rim. I dont know anything about bikes so i'm not sure what happens in these situations.
Like Andrew said there’s no way of knowing without seeing the wheel. My guess is that a cheap bike has cheap rims and the wheels are trued with minimal labor.. It’s quite possible that one of the ways a cheap bike can have cheap rims is that the rim manufacturer has poor quality control so a batch of rims can have more out of true rims before being assembled into a wheel. An out of true rim will be forced into true as best as possible under spoke tension resulting in a wide variation in spoke tension that use starts to reveal and the wheel goes out of true. The shop you took the bike to untensioned the rim and saw how out of true the rim was and rightly told you the rim wasn’t worth rebuilding using a flawed rim.

So do what cpach says and have a shop go over the wheels. Understand that what makes something cheap won’t be cheap if you are unaware how to make it right.
Old 04-27-21, 12:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,010 Times in 3,788 Posts
... i'm wondering what the cause was.
You already said the answer...

I ordered a cheap ebike from walmart.
Old 04-27-21, 03:12 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You already said the answer...
I wasn't going to say it, but that was my first thought as well.
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 04-28-21, 12:35 AM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
There really isn’t enough information in here to have any idea what is wrong.

In general, you wouldn’t need a new rim unless the existing one is cracked. Rims themselves are pretty strong when properly built into a wheel. Do you see any physical damage to the rim (cracks, spoke nipples pulling through the rim)?

We see a lot of issues with ebike wheels being poorly built with cheap, straight gauge spokes. If not carefully tensioned, the extra weight of the ebike combined with poor spoke tension tends to cause spokes to break. Rebuilding the wheel with quality butted spokes makes a stronger wheel. Rim damage is less common, usually from crashing into something or being way over-tensioned.

Every shop doesn’t have a good wheel builder, so you might just be getting some bad information.