Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain fell off mid pack

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain fell off mid pack

Old 11-17-21, 06:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
yeah a few months ago they put a lady (leisure cyclist) in the hospital and blamed her for it, on my first time trying that ride. The portola pelotons can pass riders rather close, I'm not a fan of that but those rides are unpolicable.
Old 11-17-21, 07:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
its a drop ride, what are they gonna do, tell me to leave? That would be super obnoxious. Falling when learning to ride clipped in is normal, and right now if I fall I might be paralyzed for life. Probably shouldn't even be riding in groups but im sure as hell not gonna start riding things im not used to. Also crashing when clipped in is much worse from what ive read

Uhhh, not everyone falls when your start riding with clipless...just saying, and it does not matter if you are clipped or not, falling is falling. I have to imagine road rash is much harsher initially without a shirt, but makes it easier to remove without having bits or spandex I guess.

Old 11-17-21, 09:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
He was being facetious.
was he though?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-17-21, 10:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Uhhh, not everyone falls when your start riding with clipless...just saying, and it does not matter if you are clipped or not, falling is falling. I have to imagine road rash is much harsher initially without a shirt, but makes it easier to remove without having bits or spandex I guess.
crashing while clipped in is different than crashing when not clipped in, unless what ive read has lied to me. I ride 200 miles a week, don't care about road rash if I crash because right now crashing is a death sentence because I broke my neck recently in the ocean.
Old 11-17-21, 10:15 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by cubewheels
You're right, it's one of those cheap, generic rims.

People having negative thoughts on your bike can increase chance of component malfunction. Dark chocolate brown color induces positive thoughts as riders with dark brown bikes tend to be experienced, mature, chill, and confident even if you have none of those qualities, it helps to fool people to think you're one.

Music that helps reduce chain drop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7EGMBS6nXI
Her ratio is tiny, cant take her seriously. also red=fast and brown=poop. Bike shop made my bike worse than when I brought it in, not that surprised tbh, should just ditch the brakes and turn it into a fixie

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-17-21 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 10:54 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
crashing while clipped in is different than crashing when not clipped in,
, I've crashed, unfortunately, clipped and non-clipped, it made no difference, it hurt like hell. My unclipped crash was far worse physically on my body, and as I was much much younger when it happened, I was able to bounce back far quicker than I did after my clipped crash.

Old 11-18-21, 09:03 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
crashing while clipped in is different than crashing when not clipped in, unless what ive read has lied to me. I ride 200 miles a week, don't care about road rash if I crash because right now crashing is a death sentence because I broke my neck recently in the ocean.
The difference between crashing while clipped vs not is that you're not going to roll up to a stop sign and forget to unclip if you're not clipped-in in the first place. Other than that, a crash is a crash.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 11-18-21, 09:30 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Her ratio is tiny, cant take her seriously. also red=fast and brown=poop. Bike shop made my bike worse than when I brought it in, not that surprised tbh, should just ditch the brakes and turn it into a fixie
Without poop one would assplode.

Always thought that with bike upside down on seat and bars a straight edge from chainring to sprocket should be in perfect alignment, if not I fixed it with spacing or smacking the frame.
Old 11-18-21, 11:02 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Perhaps you should heal up more if you feel a crash is going to paralyze you at this time.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-18-21, 04:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
^This^ Or maybe consider another sport if you fix chainline by 'smacking' a frame.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-20-21, 08:00 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
I’m not gonna read this whole thread, but I am going to ask: how the hell does the chain fall off a single speed bike?
Old 11-20-21, 04:29 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
I would definitely take her seriously.
Old 11-20-21, 09:12 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m not gonna read this whole thread, but I am going to ask: how the hell does the chain fall off a single speed bike?
He's doing it wrong...really wrong.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-20-21, 09:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
He's doing it wrong...really wrong.
That's what I figured. I mean, I have no wrenching skills, and my SS has never dropped a chain. I just can't even imagine how it happens, short of gross negligence.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-20-21, 09:39 PM
LarrySellerz

The back disc brake was rubbing and having the wheel not fully back in the dropouts or whatever its called seemed to help the problem. Then we were going down a hill at like 25+ MPH and it fell off as I was spinning out (im running 42x18 so its hard to keep up on the hills.) I was able to hold my line but it was still super sketchy, not cool to have mechanicals in the middle of a pack
Old 11-22-21, 05:51 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I've gotten close to it with decent chain tension too. The faster you spin, the more the chain "floats" around the chainring and sprocket. Basically, the centrifugal force of the chain makes it want to jump off (yes I know it's not a "real force").