Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike bearing and bottom bracket maintenance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 01:23 PM
hindubiceps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, how often should I lubricate and regulate my road bike bearings and bottom bracket?
Usually I've done this before each season and I do not ride so much. Is such maintenance necessary or after this time it is not necessary to lubricate?
Old 03-16-21, 01:31 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by hindubiceps
Hello, how often should I lubricate and regulate my road bike bearings and bottom bracket?
Usually I've done this before each season and I do not ride so much. Is such maintenance necessary or after this time it is not necessary to lubricate?
Do you know what type of bottom bracket you have? When I had a bottom bracket tou could actually disassemble, it was one a year. Woth the press in type, I just replace them when they start needing attention.
Old 03-16-21, 01:50 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by hindubiceps
How "not much"?
Old 03-16-21, 02:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Since you've provide nothing at all in the way of useful details I can't offer any information to you. What kind of hubs...loose ball or cartridge bearing? Same for headset and bottom bracket. What kind of mileage and in what condition? You have to help us out a bit here, there is no one single answer.
ETA: Questions like this should obviously be in 'bicycle mechanics' and not here.

Last edited by cxwrench; 03-16-21 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 02:15 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Listen to the bearings through the seat. It's like a stethoscope.
Old 03-18-21, 02:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If you run them till the bearings fall out or it starts making a hellatious noise, then it won't cost much to fix. BB's and hub bearing sets are inexpensive. You might go quite a few many years doing nothing.

But if you have the know how, when ever you are in the mood to tinker with such things. It's been 10,000 maybe 15,000 miles since I've last had a desire to tinker. Not all the miles on the same bike though.
Old 03-19-21, 02:48 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Well my Shimano 6800 with BSA thread BB has 22,000 miles and the cranks spin like a top with no chain. I think I might wait to check on them the worst case scenario is I buy a new BB and and put one in if things go south. Then I am out maybe $30 and time and am far ahead of the game for sure. The virtues of a good old threaded bottom bracket will never go out of style. Cannot be buying bikes with press fits.
Likes For deacon mark: