Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What’s the best mirror set up?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What’s the best mirror set up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 07:11 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I'm trying again to get used to my Take-a-Look mirror. I have it mounted on my helmet. I bought it because I have a friend with a tandem and I thought it might make it easier for me to see past her than turning to look. Maybe I should try it on my glasses, but since the point is to have a view as far out to the left as possible, I figured helmet was better.

When riding on my own, I'd rather not use one and have to worry about it and risk losing it (I don't want it permanently mounted to my helmet, so it's on the visor sort of precariously and reinforced with paper medical tape-- IOW, not very robust), and it's not as difficult to turn and look behind when on my own. But I'll try wearing it when on my own to get used to it.

I can't say I can get used to it. I can get it adjusted... but then it only works with one very specific head position. I found myself spending a lot of time moving my head around trying to get to the exact position I had adjusted the mirror to. I figured that was more dangerous than just turning to look quickly. Also, this time around, I've discovered that yeah, I can see out of it... barely. If I cant my eyes all the way to the side so I'm practically using my peripheral vision. Maybe I need to adjust it in a certain way so I can turn my head a bit and see more out of the front of my eye.

The other problem I find is that to get it into the correct position, I have to have it in 'portrait' orientation. I can't figure out a way to adjust it so I can use it in 'landscape' orientation instead, which I would much prefer.

And finally, having to keep adjusting it. "Aha, think I got it. Oops, nope, not quite right. How about now? Nope."

Her other captain also put a bar-end mirror on, but I've not even tried that yet. We would have to be riding for me to be able to adjust that, and I just don't want to be looking at the mirror rather than the road, especially with only one hand on the handlebars (because the other will be fiddling with the mirror). That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 09-01-21, 08:20 PM
Vintagerose

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
😅 thank you! And I have a hard time searching for specific threads. It never really shows the keywords I put in. Got a bar end one coming to replace bar mount one I have. Gonna scoop of for the helmet soon too. If I wore glasses I’d be down to try that
Old 09-02-21, 04:42 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I have a bar end on a stalk, and while it works, its in the way and gets bumped all the time.

These "Corky" bar end mirrors popped up on Facebook. Anyone use them?

Old 09-02-21, 06:44 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Warbird21
I have a bar end on a stalk, and while it works, its in the way and gets bumped all the time.

That's a pretty neat design but I'm betting those mirrors will be too small to be very useful. Think about the size of an average bar end cap and put that a couple feet below your eye. I doubt you'll be seeing much in those mirrors. Better would be the convex mirrors that go into your bar ends.
Old 09-02-21, 07:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I'm trying again to get used to my Take-a-Look mirror. I have it mounted on my helmet. I bought it because I have a friend with a tandem and I thought it might make it easier for me to see past her than turning to look. Maybe I should try it on my glasses, but since the point is to have a view as far out to the left as possible, I figured helmet was better.When riding on my own, I'd rather not use one and have to worry about it and risk losing it (I don't want it permanently mounted to my helmet, so it's on the visor sort of precariously and reinforced with paper medical tape-- IOW, not very robust), and it's not as difficult to turn and look behind when on my own. But I'll try wearing it when on my own to get used to it.I can't say I can get used to it. I can get it adjusted... but then it only works with one very specific head position. I found myself spending a lot of time moving my head around trying to get to the exact position I had adjusted the mirror to. I figured that was more dangerous than just turning to look quickly. Also, this time around, I've discovered that yeah, I can see out of it... barely. If I cant my eyes all the way to the side so I'm practically using my peripheral vision. Maybe I need to adjust it in a certain way so I can turn my head a bit and see more out of the front of my eye.The other problem I find is that to get it into the correct position, I have to have it in 'portrait' orientation. I can't figure out a way to adjust it so I can use it in 'landscape' orientation instead, which I would much prefer.And finally, having to keep adjusting it. "Aha, think I got it. Oops, nope, not quite right. How about now? Nope."Her other captain also put a bar-end mirror on, but I've not even tried that yet. We would have to be riding for me to be able to adjust that, and I just don't want to be looking at the mirror rather than the road, especially with only one hand on the handlebars (because the other will be fiddling with the mirror). That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I agree it takes some time getting used to it. dug up some mirror pics yesterday. maybe you can glean something helpful about setup from them

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-02-21, 07:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I like the drop bar mirror too

for the OP, I find a bike strobe on the left drop bar gets some additional courtesy room. meaning they wait another 1/2 second before moving back right, in front of me. just a little reminder they haven't passed me quite yet

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-02-21, 02:03 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
They belong on your bar, like in the old days and on motorcycles. See how expertly I hang my grocery bags on it and my bells?? LOL
The 8 mm arm is very solid. The swivel parts kind suck tho. I can see stuff pretty clearly a 1/4 mile back, in daytime anyway.
All the other ways can impale you in a crash. Happens in a milli sec.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 09-02-21, 02:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Ya got to try a few. As much as I like the mirror attached to glasses method it was not for me. But I would say that it is my runner up. Personally the best method for me has been one used by "10 Wheels". That's where you take the lens out of an old pair of reflective sunglasses and fix it to your ridding glove. It has been great for me; but then again I don't ride in traffic. If I was ridding in traffic I would additionally use a mirror attached to my glasses.

Last edited by zandoval; 09-02-21 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 09-02-21, 07:21 PM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That's a pretty neat design but I'm betting those mirrors will be too small to be very useful. Think about the size of an average bar end cap and put that a couple feet below your eye. I doubt you'll be seeing much in those mirrors. Better would be the convex mirrors that go into your bar ends.
I thought as much, however I thought the same thing about helmet mirrors, but learned to make them work. I was curious if anyone here tried one.
Old 09-02-21, 07:57 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I agree it takes some time getting used to it. dug up some mirror pics yesterday. maybe you can glean something helpful about setup from them
Thanks! That confirmed what I think may be part of the problem-- because I'm mounting on the helmet visor, the mount is upside-down (prongs facing upward, rather than downward as on glasses), and that is probably why I have to orient the mirror the way I do.

Yeah, it's time to try it on my glasses. The only thing is that the side arm of my glasses is very narrow, but maybe it'll work on my (fit-over) sunglasses, if the arm isn't too thick.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 09-03-21, 06:44 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I thought as much, however I thought the same thing about helmet mirrors, but learned to make them work. I was curious if anyone here tried one.
But these bar end mirrors appear to be about the same size as a helmet mounted mirror, but they're going to be a lot further away from your eye. You might be able to see a little bit in those mirrors but not much, I'm guessing.
Old 09-03-21, 06:48 AM
rumrunn6

it appears the diameter of the mirror is not the same as the diameter of the bar end. it is much larger
Old 09-03-21, 09:34 AM
Warbird21

it appears the diameter of the mirror is not the same as the diameter of the bar end. it is much larger
Exactly, I was hoping someone may have tried one. Seems, no, just speculation. I might have to be the guinea pig.
Old 09-03-21, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Exactly, I was hoping someone may have tried one. Seems, no, just speculation. I might have to be the guinea pig.
if you do, please come back & share!
Old 09-03-21, 07:58 PM
Warbird21

Well, I thought I had it but now perhaps back to the Corky. I picked up this drop-bar mirror at my local LBS today, $20. It looked less in the way than my L-shaped bar mount. But, after install, (It just friction fits), it didn't feel very secure, it was real loose and easily moved and the mirror surface was terrible, so field of vision was far worse. I'll return it next week. Perhaps I'll take the Corky plunge.

Likes For Warbird21:
Old 09-03-21, 08:06 PM
Warbird21

I'll let the group know on Sunday, ordered a Corky via Amazon. Easy return if it doesn't work well. The mount does look quill-style and secure.
Old 09-03-21, 09:53 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I wish I could find a bigger mirror for this setup this is a zefal spy mirror but it is really too small. all I can find is some cheap Chinese ones made from plastic.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 09-05-21, 12:56 PM
Warbird21

Corky was deliveredand installed. Surprisingly good quality and field of vision. Babysitting my granddaughter today, so a test ride will have to wait. Well made and secure. I'm optimistic. More to come.

I'll let the group know on Sunday, ordered a Corky via Amazon. Easy return if it doesn't work well. The mount does look quill-style and secure.
Old 09-10-21, 06:06 PM
Warbird21

First ride with the Corky tonight - road and C&O Canal - big thumbs up. Field of vision is better than a helmet mirror, it's out of the way, folds for transport.
Moves if bumped, but simple to aim mid-ride.
This works.
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 09-10-21, 08:45 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I love the Italian Road Bike mirror. Far better than others I've tried. Nice clear image, good field of view and stays in place.
Old 09-10-21, 10:01 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Best depends on you, your bike, and your circumstances.

I’ve been very happy with a Mirrycle mirror on my flat bar bike.

I’m considering a Selle Italia Eyelink mirror for my road bike when it comes in.
Old 09-11-21, 11:52 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I rode with a Rhode Gear brake lever mount mirror for decades and liked it a lot. Unfortunately, it started jumping off my brake levers on bumpy roads 2 years ago. I believe I would be able to shift focus well with a helmet- or glasses-mount mirror, so i got a Hafny bar-end mounted mirror.

I like it OK. It mounts very securely and doesn't vibrate independently from the bike, so the image is more stable than the Rhode Gear, but it's farther away from my eyes than the Rhode Gear was, which is a negative. The other lever-mounted mirrors available are either a hassle to mount, or they look like they'd vibrate a lot, so I'm sticking with the bar-end mirror.
Old 09-11-21, 12:12 PM
R200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
  • I really like this for road riding
    • 1 on my glasses
    • 1 on my drop bar
      • neither is adequate by themselves
        • they compliment each other quite nicely for all riding positions
beware the blindspot that a mirror on glasses can create. so occasionally when looking left I have to dip my head down to peer over the mirror
I completely agree. Although having even one mirror certainly isn't required, two mirrors provides much better visibility and a higher level of safety over one mirror. I find myself constantly scanning my bar mirror but then "zooming in" with my helmet mounted mirror if there is something I need to see. I often am surprised by overtaking and side traffic if I have only one of these. However, with two mirrors I am very seldom surprised by any vehicle. This is the same with an automobile where having two mirrors is much better than having only one.
Likes For R200:
Old 09-19-21, 02:51 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I dont use a mirror