Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today?

Old 09-11-21, 11:05 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Swapped the North Road style bars with a long stem back onto the SS MTB instead of the Scott AT-3 trekking bars with integrated bar ends and a short stem.

The trade off is gaining a more comfortable cruising and braking position back on the grips about even with the steering axis in exchange for losing the close climbing grip like the tops of a drop bar.

Otto
Ride the forward curve of the bars for a good climbing position. Pretty much like riding the hoods on drop bars. I like to wrap forward of the levers for that reason.
Old 09-12-21, 03:35 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
After about a quarter of yesterday's nearly 140km ride was in heavy rain, I took a rest day today to wash my bike, shorten my chain by a few links (it seemed to be a bit on the long / slack side when in small cogs on the casette), clean and lube the chain, and adjust my brakes. Bike is now ready for another ride tomorrow.
Old 09-12-21, 09:14 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
Ride the forward curve of the bars for a good climbing position. Pretty much like riding the hoods on drop bars. I like to wrap forward of the levers for that reason.
In the last week I’ve put the North Road bars back on both of my bikes. Yeah, that means climbing while pulling on the forward bends, about like drop bar hoods. It’s good, but I also like the bar top position of drop bars for climbing. Can’t have everything in any setup, but I was missing the more relaxed positions on the grips, so I’m back to what I’ve used most of the last year.

Otto
Old 09-12-21, 09:30 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
I rode 2 of them.

3 miles of this

10 miles of this
Old 09-12-21, 11:40 AM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
Put new chain on cervelo p2k. Was way past time. Also dropped seat a hair. Was tad high a
Old 09-12-21, 04:31 PM
Frank S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Crashed it.

No big deal. After four decades of using toe clips, I joined the clipless revolution. When a dog came at me, I stopped, while frantically pulling my feet up and back. Arte Johnson would be proud.
Likes For Frank S:
Old 09-13-21, 03:37 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Took the back wheel off and cleaned stuff and then re-lubed. It was so dirty and gunked up that when I took my feet off the pedals the cranks kept turning while coasting...no it's not in fixie position. It's much better now.
Old 09-13-21, 04:20 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S
Crashed it.

No big deal. After four decades of using toe clips, I joined the clipless revolution. When a dog came at me, I stopped, while frantically pulling my feet up and back. Arte Johnson would be proud.
https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-19-2014/rkSNl3.mp4
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-13-21, 05:38 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
This morning I added this to my bike to potentially make it safe at the coffee shops I stop at:

Old 09-13-21, 10:07 PM
donm1967

Bikes: 2009 Quick 4; 2021 Giant Defy Adv 2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 21 Posts
Ever since I got my new bike 4 weeks ago the chain has been rubbing slightly on the front derailleur when on the smaller sprockets so I decided to try to adjust adjust it. Not sure if what I found came from the factory or bike shop assembly.

Way to much space between chain guard and biggest chainring, more than 6 mm. Also cable not routed in the groove, and looks like the cable guide was never installed. I'll have to take it back to shop for that.

I had to readjust everything. Shimano manual was very helpful. All better now, test ride tomorrow.
Old 09-14-21, 09:55 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Airfehr
Cleaned and lubed two chains. After I rode one bike. What do I win?
A cookie.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-14-21, 10:22 PM
CyclesNWeights7

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
A cookie.
if I would have known the winners were getting cookies I would have participated…..
Crap.
Likes For CyclesNWeights7:
Old 09-14-21, 11:08 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts

Had to repair a flat on my Verve today. I ride to the store without issue this morning, but when I went to leave to a meeting tonight the tire was flat. Looked for obvious stickies inside the tire and didn’t find a single pokey. So next pumped up the tube to find the leak… a nice 1/2 slash… patched that up and it was still leaking, under further investigation I found a second 1/2 slash on the opposite side of the tube. So me being me, I looked closer at the side walls of the tire, and sure enough some A-Hat had stabbed my tire.

Now before you go flaming me saying it could
have been a lot of other thing, there is some other parts of the story missing.

Yesterday afternoon I went to let the dogs out and found my wife’s Verve upside down tangled in our fence. Then today before finding my flat tire I noticed my bike computer was on asking if I wanted to start a new ride (I hadn’t even touched my bike yet), and then to make things weirder my headlight mount was upside down and I was missing my little frame bag. And lastly my wife’s bike was missing it’s tool bag.
So after finding my wife’s bike upside down yesterday I have strayed chaining both bikes together and then running a logging chain around a telephone pole and weaved through the wheels and frames of both bikes… I think whom ever messed with hers yesterday messed up my bike today because they were mad that they couldn’t take off
with the bikes.

Lastly missing stuff and flat tire wasn’t the worst of it. My front wheel is now wobbly and my front rotor is making contact with the disk pads, and something feels off in the crank. I have yet to inspect my wife’s bike, but I think I’m just taking them both into the LBS tomorrow and have them give both bikes a good inspection so I don’t miss anything.

And yes I did call the police, and they will be here when ever they get here to take statements.

Last edited by M Rose; 09-14-21 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 07:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose

Had to repair a flat on my Verve today. I ride to the store without issue this morning, but when I went to leave to a meeting tonight the tire was flat. Looked for obvious stickies inside the tire and didn’t find a single pokey. So next pumped up the tube to find the leak… a nice 1/2 slash… patched that up and it was still leaking, under further investigation I found a second 1/2 slash on the opposite side of the tube. So me being me, I looked closer at the side walls of the tire, and sure enough some A-Hat had stabbed my tire.

Now before you go flaming me saying it could
have been a lot of other thing, there is some other parts of the story missing.

Yesterday afternoon I went to let the dogs out and found my wife’s Verve upside down tangled in our fence. Then today before finding my flat tire I noticed my bike computer was on asking if I wanted to start a new ride (I hadn’t even touched my bike yet), and then to make things weirder my headlight mount was upside down and I was missing my little frame bag. And lastly my wife’s bike was missing it’s tool bag.
So after finding my wife’s bike upside down yesterday I have strayed chaining both bikes together and then running a logging chain around a telephone pole and weaved through the wheels and frames of both bikes… I think whom ever messed with hers yesterday messed up my bike today because they were mad that they couldn’t take off
with the bikes.

Lastly missing stuff and flat tire wasn’t the worst of it. My front wheel is now wobbly and my front rotor is making contact with the disk pads, and something feels off in the crank. I have yet to inspect my wife’s bike, but I think I’m just taking them both into the LBS tomorrow and have them give both bikes a good inspection so I don’t miss anything.

And yes I did call the police, and they will be here when ever they get here to take statements.
That's some messed up **** right there.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-15-21, 04:46 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
That's some messed up **** right there.
well cops came about ten minutes after I posted. Nothing they could do other than take a statement. The officer suggested I get some game cameras and set them up in hopes of catching the perp in the act. So I have two trail cameras on order and should be here on Friday.

in the mean time i have the bikes chained to a telephone pole with everything removed that I can remove.
Old 09-16-21, 01:05 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts

So I got the Karate Monkey finished last night so I rode it to work today. I’m going to have to spend this evening tweaking since it’s not there yet, first thing will be to change bars these are not working for me at all.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-16-21, 07:20 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Changed the chain. Realized that it had been a year since I had done so, and had ridden over 5000km in that time, so figured it was time to do it.
Old 09-16-21, 12:37 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

So I got the Karate Monkey finished last night so I rode it to work today. I’m going to have to spend this evening tweaking since it’s not there yet, first thing will be to change bars these are not working for me at all.
A front rack but no rear rack!
Old 09-16-21, 12:41 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
A front rack but no rear rack!
The one I planned to use won’t fit so I ordered a new one
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-16-21, 02:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Today I removed the Paul's Neo Retro cantilever that snapped in half in a minor wreck last night.

Old 09-16-21, 07:46 PM
donm1967

Installed SPD pedals and cleats on my new shoes. I've been using toe clips/straps forever, finally going clipless. Rode 16 at lunch to test them out. So far OK.
Likes For donm1967:
Old 09-16-21, 08:34 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by donm1967
Installed SPD pedals and cleats on my new shoes. I've been using toe clips/straps forever, finally going clipless. Rode 16 at lunch to test them out. So far OK.
Just be careful. Getting the hang of getting OUT quickly is something to work on. Preplan intersections and stops.
Old 09-16-21, 08:40 PM
donm1967

Originally Posted by kahn
Just be careful. Getting the hang of getting OUT quickly is something to work on. Preplan intersections and stops.
I practiced a bit on my trainer in the garage first. I got Shimano ED500 which are supposed to be easy to out of and good for beginners. I actually found it trickier to get in them.
Likes For donm1967:
Old 09-17-21, 02:55 PM
Champ340

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donm1967
I practiced a bit on my trainer in the garage first. I got Shimano ED500 which are supposed to be easy to out of and good for beginners. I actually found it trickier to get in them.
Just remember you can use a small Allen key to adjust the tension. I started off a bit looser as I got the hang of cleats then progressively increased the tension over time.
Old 09-17-21, 06:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
I rode it from about 5 miles north of Brattleboro, VT to Westhampton, MA, stopping by my former high school along the way.

Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.