Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Dual Bike Polo Gearing setup

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 10:24 AM
NJS Stamp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been trying to theory craft a way to build a bikepolo rig with either a flipflop fixed gear hub for commuting, or a dual freewheel set up.

Has anyone tried to do this? So far, I', thinking I could run a dual 38/35, with a 20/22, giving me 1.5 polo gear, with a.1.9 commuter gear. Which doesn't sound that great.
Additionally, I found 40/15 and 35/21 would use the same amount of chain, which gives me a 1.6 polo, 2.6 commuter (freewheel gear).

I'd prefer to go fixed gear, but if I can't that's fine. Anyone have other ides, or examples? I feel like Bikepolo doesn't have a ton of build threads hanging around that go into whether they have 2 gearing setups.
Old 10-20-21, 11:49 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
The White Industries DOS freewheel is pretty cool. I have one on my All City Nature Boy Disc, with two chain rings on the crank, which gives me gearing options of 39x20 and 41x18. Same chain for both, and the axle stays in the same position in the frame. This isn't actually necessary, as the dropouts are long enough to allow some movement... but it's nice because I don't have to move my brake caliper. Gear changes are pretty quick and easy. I've said it before: there may come a day when engineers come up with some sort of device that will allow us to change gears while riding, simply by moving a lever on the handlebar.

My low gear is about 53 gear inches, and my high is 61--not a huge difference, but certainly noticeable. The trouble is, any ratio in that approximate range is a compromise, always either too low or two high for what I'm doing at a given moment.

I've never played polo, but I think you'd want want something like 40 or 50 gear inches for that? And for commuting, you definitely want at least 60-ish, unless you like spinning a high cadence don't mind taking a long time to get where you're going.
Old 10-20-21, 12:42 PM
NJS Stamp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I ran some numbers here, and don't think I should run dual chainrngs upfront, given some clubs don't like the exposed teeth. I'm thinking I could do flip flop hub, with a 35/21 for polo (1.6 ratio), or about 45 inches of chain on a. 15.5 chainstay. Then on the fixed side, run a 12t fixed cog for 35/12, or (2.92 ratio). That would use about 43inches of chain on the 15.5 chain stay.

So what i'm thinking is, maybe I can ride the polo side slammed in the chain stays, then run the fixed/commuter side pulled back more to try and suck up that extra 2in of chain. Given the dropouts will give me a little around .5-1" of play hopefully.

It'd be easier if I had the materials in front of me, but for now just trying to theory craft the simplest solutions. Seems like regardless, a chain tensioner will need to be either built in, or available on the side, like an idle gear.
Old 10-26-21, 12:27 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
It's not easy to find 12 tooth single speed cogs. There's a much wider selection in 13. For your commuting gear, you could do a 39x13, which is about the same ratio as 35x12. Of course, then your polo gear ratio would be a bit higher, as you're probably not going to find a fixed cog bigger than 21. What ratio are guys using for polo? Does the game really call for lower than 39x21?