Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain fell off mid pack

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain fell off mid pack

Old 11-16-21, 10:59 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Narrow-wide rings aren't used on road single speed, nor on mtb single speeds.
Based on what I have read in the singlespeed section of a MTB-focused discussion forum, there are quite a lot of folks who use NW rings on their rigs. Personally, I find a standard non-ramped ring to work just fine.
Old 11-16-21, 11:48 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
yesterday there was a dude on a fixie LOL. He chilled in the back though so its cool, this group is pretty lax with the rules.
Sounds like you found your group. Good on you.
Old 11-16-21, 11:57 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Did your wheel move in the dropouts?
Yep... This could be the most likely problem. How about a pic with a close up of the hub?
Old 11-16-21, 12:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Did your wheel move in the dropouts?
Idea: Next time you adjust your chain, mark around the axle nuts with a Sharpie and go ride. That will tell you if the wheel is slipping, even if just a little.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-16-21, 06:07 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
you prolly better asking this in 'Single & Fixie' forum...
.but.
$150 bike or $1K bike - are you sure of the chainline ? Wheels ? alignment ?
rr wheel might not be properly dished ?
rr wheel cog might not be set to proper chainline ?
Frame is fudged and the dropout alignment is screwed ?
How would you know ?
A quick check which can start the diagnosis... bike on bike stand - visually center the rear wheel between the chainstays....
Assuming the rear wheel axle is straight - measure both sides distance center of crank/BB to forward or back edge of the axle
each side should be same - if a measurement is off, by more than 1mm - it's one of 3 above...
easiest to determine is to have wheel checked with a dish tool...
and/or mount wheel with axle each side spaced equal distance from center crank/BB and check 'chainline'
Sheldon Brown (bless his soul...) as usual, has good intell... https://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
I prefer using a straight Alu bar to check chainline vs my dubious visual sightline...
...could eventually mean 'the frame'... but go there last...
... wondering why the bike was $150 ?
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT - and obviously check the chainring for 'faults' like a wobble or bent/munched teeth, single speed cog Teeth and extremely wobbly freewheeling? Is the BB/axle properly adjusted so there's no woblle in the driveside crank ?

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-16-21 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-16-21, 07:14 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts

Chain might be a little slack.. I've been wrestling with the rear disc brake rubbing and thought it was a bit better when not fully back. Doesn't really make sense but I'm at a loss, hate disc brakes. Going to get it serviced now. Also this is a standard training ride, it's offseason so I bet that's why the fixie is out there. I'm on the single speed to increase my cadence
Old 11-16-21, 07:25 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Fwiw: I once had a bum FSA Vero crankset that somehow got a single arm of the crank spider bent. I bent the ring back as flat as I could. The bent arm & counter-bent ring never manifested into a problem unless I was laying down watts & usually only then when powering down a steep grade at 30+ in the small end of the cassette. Fun times in WTF(!?) Land...

A new crankset solved the issue.

I now run an oval road ring with perfect chainline. The tension is all over the place because, oval. Not a single dropped chain. Ever.

Did you recently switch to a new chainring & place it in the inboard or outboard position differently than the previous one that was removed? That would move it from "perfect" to off by at least more than 5mm & less than 10mm. That's a wicked mis alignment.

I question that chain tension is the root cause unless the chain/cog is so worn that it can climb over the cog teeth. What does a chain wear tool suggest?

Even then, it would need a reason to want to misalign & hop off. It could be a combination of both. Hence, the above.

EDIT: Now that I see a picture was posted while I was typing my reply...Chain tension is totally what your problem is. Tighten that ish up, man! Good gawd.

Last edited by base2; 11-16-21 at 08:40 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-16-21, 07:35 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

Chain might be a little slack.. I've been wrestling with the rear disc brake rubbing and thought it was a bit better when not fully back. Doesn't really make sense but I'm at a loss, hate disc brakes. Going to get it serviced now. Also this is a standard training ride, it's offseason so I bet that's why the fixie is out there. I'm on the single speed to increase my cadence
A little, it's downright dangerous. It should be nearly tight with no weight on the bike and check for slack after.
Likes For popeye:
Old 11-16-21, 08:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

I'm a big fan of 'loose is fast' but that's crazy loose. Tighten that up some.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-16-21, 10:50 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I understand that you're taking it in to have it serviced and that's probably for the best. Chain jumping aside, in the future, you might find it better to make brake adjustments on the brake housing, pads, etc and not by moving the wheel around. Good luck,
Old 11-16-21, 11:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
A little lube on the chain couldn't hurt either

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-17-21, 12:47 AM
LarrySellerz

Damn I feel dumb, knew I should have made it tigher. i blame my disk brakes which are being serviced now. But yeah that's kinda boneheaded of me to run the chain that slack, thanks y'all.
Old 11-17-21, 06:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Didn't someone in the group give you some road pedals?
Old 11-17-21, 07:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
people only saw it once lol that's what matters.
But thanks to this thread we now know the truth.
Old 11-17-21, 09:13 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But thanks to this thread we now know the truth.
What we still don't know yet, but are afraid to ask, is was he wearing his shirt this time or not?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-17-21, 09:44 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Didn't someone in the group give you some road pedals?
yeah but I really don't want to fall while clipped in, had surgery in my neck 3 months ago. I don't know when I'll start riding my road bike clipped in, might be a year from now. And no I don't wear a shirt, I'm in California, doesn't get cold. Too fat for spandex anyways
Old 11-17-21, 10:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I know that wheel rim you're using. Very cheap, very heavy, very durable. I know because I have the same rims. It has survived many vehicular collisions, giant potholes, pinch flat with very sharp steel grate, and one big crash without damage.

Paint the rim dark brown to make it look a bit more expensive and distinct. Might make it less probable to drop chain.
- You know what rim that is based on a blurry pic? It looks like any of 3 dozen various generic mid depth aluminum rims.

- Why would painting the rim dark brown reduce chain drop?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-17-21, 10:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Why would painting the rim dark brown reduce chain drop?
He was being facetious.
Old 11-17-21, 12:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
yeah but I really don't want to fall while clipped in, had surgery in my neck 3 months ago. I don't know when I'll start riding my road bike clipped in, might be a year from now. And no I don't wear a shirt, I'm in California, doesn't get cold. Too fat for spandex anyways
Why are you falling? It will hurt just as much whether you are clipped in or not. You must have found a very unique group. It's never happened but I can't imagine any group I've ridden with welcoming a rider who won't wear clothes. Especially one so fat he can't get in cycling kit. Weird.
Old 11-17-21, 12:35 PM
LarrySellerz

Why are you falling? It will hurt just as much whether you are clipped in or not. You must have found a very unique group. It's never happened but I can't imagine any group I've ridden with welcoming a rider who won't wear clothes. Especially one so fat he can't get in cycling kit. Weird.
its a drop ride, what are they gonna do, tell me to leave? That would be super obnoxious. Falling when learning to ride clipped in is normal, and right now if I fall I might be paralyzed for life. Probably shouldn't even be riding in groups but im sure as hell not gonna start riding things im not used to. Also crashing when clipped in is much worse from what ive read
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-17-21, 01:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
I'm almost certain I saw Larry in the flesh a couple weeks back. Shirtless, long blonde hair, fleshy, but not exorbitantly so.

DUDE! You're not that fat. There's others out there WAY tubbier than you in spandex. Wear a shirt, for cripes sake!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-17-21, 04:59 PM
LarrySellerz

I'm almost certain I saw Larry in the flesh a couple weeks back. Shirtless, long blonde hair, fleshy, but not exorbitantly so.

DUDE! You're not that fat. There's others out there WAY tubbier than you in spandex. Wear a shirt, for cripes sake!
Don't need one, I swim in the pacific year round without a wetsuit too. I like feeling the elements. Did I wave at you? Hope I did

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-17-21 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 05:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Don't need one, I swim in the pacific year round without a wetsuit too. I like feeling the elements. Did I wave at you? Hope I did
This was on Canada, at Edgewood, two Saturdays ago. You (if it was you) were headed North and I was on the opposite side of the road, by the stone wall. I only saw you from the back as you passed - there are TONS of cyclists on Canada on Saturday! More than on Sunday, which surprised me.

Old 11-17-21, 05:37 PM
LarrySellerz

Yeah that was probably me i was in that area getting dropped from spectrum (why are they so fast wtf)
Old 11-17-21, 05:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah that was probably me i was in that area getting dropped from spectrum (why are they so fast wtf)
Because they're GOOD, and there are a LOT of them!

Yeah, now you mention it I had seen - and heard! - the Spectrum ride roll by a bit before that. Yeah, they were FAST! And holy hell, that's a LOT of cyclists! I also saw them later, as I was coming down upper Alpine towards Portola, they were making the left onto Alpine. I'm just glad I wasn't in front of them. I can hold a line, but I think I'd have been a little freaked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.