Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help identify Hub

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Help identify Hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-21, 02:48 PM
CTony

Bikes: 74 Raleigh InternationalRiva-Sport,Frejus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Help identify Hub

Happy Thanksgiving I picked this hub and freewheel for free does anyone have information on it and what would it be used for? It doesn’t seem to reassemble a regular flip flop hub.Thank You
Old 11-29-21, 11:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
What does it say on the hub. I can see made in Germany and part of super but there is more, maybe give us a bit more information. It looks like some neat old stuff though.
Old 12-05-21, 06:47 PM
CTony

Bikes: 74 Raleigh InternationalRiva-Sport,Frejus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank You for replying back.Hub says 33 super 36 hole made in Germany.I’ve taking apart to clean no markings on axle.
Old 12-06-21, 01:52 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
BITD when most cyclists were utility riders, most of them were quite happy to discard the fixies in favor of freewheels as soon as they became available. And while waiting for internal gear hubs to come down in price or the derailer to be invented, hubs that could have two different sized freewheels mounted were an option to provide a choice in gear ratios.
A dual free wheel flip-flop hub I suppose you could call it.

If one of the sides is a LH thread, it’s possible to use a two chain set-up and a ”leftie” freewheel where pedaling in reverse gives another gear ratio. Don’t know the chronology of that, or If it was ever a big thing.

Last edited by dabac; 12-06-21 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-06-21, 03:21 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
My "go-to" for these sorts of questions is velobase.com but they didn't have anything helpful there for this particular hub. You can go to velobase.com and search all German bicycle component manufacturers. I looked at most of them and there were very few hubs and none that matched yours.

You might try on the Classic & Vintage site here or over on a site that caters to older bikes, Classic Vintage Cycles - The Forum.