Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding Mongoose XR250

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Rebuilding Mongoose XR250

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 01:59 PM
dmfriend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear hub / gears / ?

I know that there are 7 gears in the rear. As far as the hub, and or cassette, I have NO idea what any of that means. It does have the v brakes, (I think) in which it rubs, because of the slight bend in the rear. Overall it is just the stock Mongoose XR250 with disc on the front.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
What is the rear dropout spacing?

How many speeds, and does the current hub use a freewheel or a freehub+cassette?

Are you current brakes v-brakes?
Old 11-15-21, 02:30 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
dmfriend Just get a new rear wheel. If the rim isn't borked then V brakes will provide all the stopping power you will need. You will have to replace the hub to fit disc brakes anyways, and buying a separate hub and spokes and building into your rim is usually more expensive than buying a complete rear wheel. Discs on the front and rim brakes on the rear is a very logical arrangement, hence why the bike was specced that way from the factory.
Old 11-15-21, 03:31 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by dmfriend
I know that there are 7 gears in the rear. As far as the hub, and or cassette, I have NO idea what any of that means. It does have the v brakes, (I think) in which it rubs, because of the slight bend in the rear. Overall it is just the stock Mongoose XR250 with disc on the front.

Thanks.
I have no idea what is stock on an old mongoose.

Google “freehub vs freewheel”.

Then google “how to measure dropout spacing”.
Old 11-16-21, 11:58 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by dmfriend
I know I am about 12 years late on this thread, but I have an XR250 that I would like to put disk brakes on the rear. The front has disc brakes, and there is 2 holes near the rear wheel that looks to be for disc brakes. The links from above are not valid any longer. Can someone give me a hand as to what may need to be done to get rear disk on the XR250?

I like this bike because it is a tougher frame. The rear rim has been bent from hard use, the regular brakes are just not working as they used to from the bent rim.

Thanks, in advance.

Matt

Why dont you have the rim fixed? To go discs, you will need a new back wheel, the disc brake caliper and lever

To fix what you have now, you may need just to have your back wheel trued (straightened) - or at worst case, replace the rim and it may be cheaper to find a complete wheel rather than re-lace a new rim on there
Old 11-16-21, 01:52 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Why dont you have the rim fixed? To go discs, you will need a new back wheel, the disc brake caliper and lever

To fix what you have now, you may need just to have your back wheel trued (straightened) - or at worst case, replace the rim and it may be cheaper to find a complete wheel rather than re-lace a new rim on there
Right… but if he has to do that, he can just get a disc wheel instead.

If he goes with mechanical disc, he does not need to replace his brake lever.

But I agree that he should try to get the rim straightened. I had sort of assumed that he had already looked into that, but maybe not.
Old 11-16-21, 03:53 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGCJ

i don't like hardtails they make my butt hurt when I'm riding off road.
The Mongoose XR250 makes my eyes hurt.

Just buy a nice bike. All the money you want to spend on parts and upgrading could be put into a better bike.
Likes For prj71: