Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 10:19 PM
70cst

Bikes: 1949 Raliegh Superbe, mid 60's Schwinn Corvette & 1970 Schwinn Collegiate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my 1969 Superbe ... not mint but very nice. This is my 69 Superbe with my 61 Schwinn 5 speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (22).jpg (100.1 KB, 183 views)
61 Covette 69 Superbe.jpg (99.5 KB, 171 views)
Old 10-02-11, 10:34 PM
HercRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by el_spumante
Seems like a reasonable price, if the bike is clean, no?
That might be another 21" frame...I'll let others more knowledgable chime in. Price is consistent with what I've seen the last two months, and it is a good looking bike.

Originally Posted by 70cst

This is my 1969 Superbe ... not mint but very nice. This is my 69 Superbe with my 61 Schwinn 5 speed.
Great looking bikes! That Superbe looks nice-i'm guessing the Dynohub still works? I've seen quite a few Superbes on CL, and more than half don't have the Dynohub, which is a great accessory, IMO.
Old 10-03-11, 04:38 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gbalke
Randy,

If you're feeling adventurous, I have a '74 Coffee Brown 23" frame set with crank in my garage I could let go for a reasonable amount. You could then build up a bike to suit your style or desires for less than the e-Bay Sports. There's plenty of help available here, might even be a C&V member close to you thaat could offer some assistance. If interested, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send some photos your way.
I am in his general area and would be glad to assist. My parts stash is on the low side but I do have one bike that could provide a fair bit of donor parts. It was a step through frame in the bronze green that got damaged in shipping.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-03-11, 04:39 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Just found this: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/2628350634.html

Seems like a reasonable price, if the bike is clean, no?
21" frame, price is reasonable, especially for the age. FWIW at 5'-11" you should be able to ride either frame size. I am 6'-2" with long arms and legs and ride both. The 23" definitely fits better though.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-03-11, 05:04 AM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
21" frame, price is reasonable, especially for the age. FWIW at 5'-11" you should be able to ride either frame size. I am 6'-2" with long arms and legs and ride both. The 23" definitely fits better though.

Aaron
Thanks, Aaron! Now if only I could find a 21" and 23" to compare side-by-side... But knowing that either should work sure makes hunting a lot easier.
Old 10-03-11, 05:07 AM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Prices for Raleigh 3 speeds are all over the spectrum. I've seen nice ones for as little as $25 and have seen them offered for over $400. That being said, I would not think $150 was a bad deal for a nice example.

Yeah, I've learned that just by looking around. I passed on a very nice Sports on ebay yesterday that sold for $315. It didn't seem way out of line, but it was a bit more than I was comfortable spending (especially with the added shipping charges). I'd of course rather pay $50-100 for a bike that needed little or no work to make it rideable, but $150 for that bike seems OK to me. Especially if I can bargain the seller down closer to to $100 ;-)

Last edited by el_spumante; 10-03-11 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-11, 05:51 AM
70cst

Bikes: 1949 Raliegh Superbe, mid 60's Schwinn Corvette & 1970 Schwinn Collegiate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HercRider
That might be another 21" frame...I'll let others more knowledgable chime in. Price is consistent with what I've seen the last two months, and it is a good looking bike.

Great looking bikes! That Superbe looks nice-i'm guessing the Dynohub still works? I've seen quite a few Superbes on CL, and more than half don't have the Dynohub, which is a great accessory, IMO.
Yes ...The Dynohub works as it should. Wasn't the Dynohub standard on a Superbe?
Old 10-03-11, 05:15 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good point. Could be a scam, for sure. Thanks for looking out!.
It does not look that way to me, it looks like a guy that does not know how eBay works trying to beat a guy that had already out bid him by adding a little bit at a time. Notice that the winning bid was dated way earlier than all those bids.
Old 10-03-11, 05:50 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by 70cst
Yes ...The Dynohub works as it should. Wasn't the Dynohub standard on a Superbe?

Debatable. I have seen Superbe both with and without the Dynohub. I suspect it may vary with the year and if the original owner ditched it or not.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-03-11, 06:15 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
It does not look that way to me, it looks like a guy that does not know how eBay works trying to beat a guy that had already out bid him by adding a little bit at a time. Notice that the winning bid was dated way earlier than all those bids.
Highly doudtful that a bidder with a feedback score of 199 would not know how e-Bay works. It's also interesting that the winning bidder (feedback score of 0) enters two bids on the same day, just a few seconds apart. First $155 and then $315. This could all be legit, but then again, we just may see this same bike being auctioned again by the same seller.

In any case, good luck with your hunt for a nice Raleigh Randy. Let us all see what you come home with.
Old 10-03-11, 09:40 PM
HercRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw this one on the Raleigh Craigslist:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/2630624993.html

Looks good, but it is a bit pricey (time to haggle), and it is a 21".
Old 10-04-11, 07:56 AM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw this one on the Raleigh Craigslist:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/2630624993.html

Looks good, but it is a bit pricey (time to haggle), and it is a 21".
Thanks for looking out, HercRider! I saw that one and talked with the seller yesterday. I haven't seen the bike, but apparently someone offered him $350 if he would wait until Friday, which means that the best I was able to do was talk him "down" to his original asking price of $300. Looks like a very clean bike, w/ the Brooks in good shape and the rack, etc., but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop that much. Though it is a nice bike...

Two other possibilities came up in the past few days, and I'd appreciate any thoughts from y'all:

1) A 1970s (I don't remember the year) LTD, black like the one on Craigslist. A brand new bike shop in Durham remembered I was looking for one, and emailed me as soon as one came in on consignment. I went and looked at it yesterday and it's got some surface rust (minor), but the paint is good, they said everything works fine. The Brooks looks like black vinyl, so they'll replace that (but I doubt with a leather saddle), They are also going to do new cables, clean the rust off as best they can, and some other minor things (new tires, maybe?). Asking $175. It's a 23", w/o a rack.

2) A 1974 AMF-Hercules (from someone who saw my wanted ad on craigslist). The seller told me that this is basically a Raleigh Sports, just marketed under the AMF-Hercules name for the U.S. market. Some googling seemed to confirm this. But would it be the same quality? As for the bike itself, it's also black (makes the color choice easy!). I haven't seen the bike or photos (yet), but the seller says it is in very good shape, with only some very minor rust and patina. Original fenders, chain guard, etc. Newish tires. He did mention two minor problems: 1) the rear fender is missing the bracket which is supposed to secure it to the brakes. 2) The front wheel is missing one spoke (but the wheel is true). He's asking $140. He said he'll send photos tonight, and I'll post them here if I can figure out how.

SO, of these three options, what do you think? I am thinking that $140-$175 for these second two makes more sense than twice that amount for the first one from craigslist, but that one does have the rack, light, and Brooks. Y'all have been at this a lot longer than I have, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for being so helpful. I'm excited to get one of these soon!
Old 10-04-11, 10:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have a 1967 AMF Hercules. Overall, it's the same quality except for maybe the chainring and a few other minor exceptions. It is true that it is a Raleigh Sports with AMF-Hercules marketing for the US market. Raleigh had a whole lot of fake brands, most of which it had acquired in 1960. There were names such as Philips, Robin Hood, Dunelt, Rudge, Hercules. I can't remember them all, and I'm sure the list and stories are on more than one web page.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-04-11, 10:33 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have a 1967 AMF Hercules. Overall, it's the same quality except for maybe the chainring and a few other minor exceptions. It is true that it is a Raleigh Sports with AMF-Hercules marketing for the US market. Raleigh had a whole lot of fake brands, most of which it had acquired in 1960. There were names such as Philips, Robin Hood, Dunelt, Rudge, Hercules. I can't remember them all, and I'm sure the list and stories are on more than one web page.
They were captive brands... companies that Raleigh absorbed over many decades to make them one of the biggest bicycle manufacturers on earth and the GM of the bicycle industry.

Some brands were relegated to second tier status but a Phillips is still a very nice bicycle when you compare it to it's Raleigh counterpart while Rudge was kept as a top tier model as they were a highly regarded maker and claimed they sold "The World's Best Bicycle".

This also allowed Raleigh to broaden sales by by bending the rules surrounding distribution agreements... Raleigh dealers were guaranteed some exclusivity but if the shop across town sold Phillip's or you bought a Glider at Eatons (a re-badged Sports) they were not breaking their rules.

The relationship between Raleigh and many dealers was not stellar and have heard from many old timers that they hated dealing with them as they could be overbearing in their demands of a shop that carried their product.

On another note, my favourite LBS is going to start carrying new Raleighs for 2010 and some of their recent offerings are extremely nice and well thought out bicycles.
Old 10-04-11, 10:57 AM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Thanks for the insight. Do you think that the wheel with the missing spoke would be an easy (cheap) enough problem to fix? If the wheel itself is in good shape, would it be possible to just replace the missing spoke? Hopefully I'll have some photos of the bike I can post up later this evening.
Old 10-04-11, 11:54 AM
HercRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go for the LTD from the bike shop, as you can develop a relationship with them, and they probably have some guarantee. Also, you can ride it around a bit and have them size it up for you. If the rust is on the wheels and components (vice the frame), it should be easy for you to clean off (there are quite a few threads on this very forum about it).

I'm guessing this is a 3 speed LTD? Some were 10 speeds with derailleurs, vice the Sturmey Archer hub; I prefer the 3 speed, myself, for my city riding.
Old 10-04-11, 12:14 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
+1 Grab the '70 LTD
Old 10-04-11, 12:20 PM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go for the LTD from the bike shop, as you can develop a relationship with them, and they probably have some guarantee. Also, you can ride it around a bit and have them size it up for you. If the rust is on the wheels and components (vice the frame), it should be easy for you to clean off (there are quite a few threads on this very forum about it).

I'm guessing this is a 3 speed LTD? Some were 10 speeds with derailleurs, vice the Sturmey Archer hub; I prefer the 3 speed, myself, for my city riding.
Yes, sorry: it IS a 3 speed internal hub. I really don't want anything with a derailleur (I didn't know they made some). The frame and the paint on it looked pretty clean. Good point re: the relationship with the bike shop--especially if they do offer some sort of warranty on their labor and/or parts they installed.
Old 10-04-11, 12:22 PM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
+1 Grab the '70 LTD
Thanks. That's the way I'm leaning. Even if it's $30-40 more than the AMF-Hercules, I'd like knowing that I wouldn't have to do any work to the bike at first. I'll keep y'all posted. They are supposed to have it cleaned up and ready to sell by the end of the week.
Old 10-04-11, 12:23 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Two other possibilities came up in the past few days, and I'd appreciate any thoughts from y'all:

1) A 1970s (I don't remember the year) LTD, black like the one on Craigslist. A brand new bike shop in Durham remembered I was looking for one, and emailed me as soon as one came in on consignment. I went and looked at it yesterday and it's got some surface rust (minor), but the paint is good, they said everything works fine. The Brooks looks like black vinyl, so they'll replace that (but I doubt with a leather saddle), They are also going to do new cables, clean the rust off as best they can, and some other minor things (new tires, maybe?). Asking $175. It's a 23", w/o a rack.

2) A 1974 AMF-Hercules (from someone who saw my wanted ad on craigslist). The seller told me that this is basically a Raleigh Sports, just marketed under the AMF-Hercules name for the U.S. market. Some googling seemed to confirm this. But would it be the same quality? As for the bike itself, it's also black (makes the color choice easy!). I haven't seen the bike or photos (yet), but the seller says it is in very good shape, with only some very minor rust and patina. Original fenders, chain guard, etc. Newish tires. He did mention two minor problems: 1) the rear fender is missing the bracket which is supposed to secure it to the brakes. 2) The front wheel is missing one spoke (but the wheel is true). He's asking $140. He said he'll send photos tonight, and I'll post them here if I can figure out how.

SO, of these three options, what do you think? I am thinking that $140-$175 for these second two makes more sense than twice that amount for the first one from craigslist, but that one does have the rack, light, and Brooks. Y'all have been at this a lot longer than I have, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for being so helpful. I'm excited to get one of these soon!

+1 I'd go for the LTD.

That said, AMF-Hercules are good bikes. They tend to have a space age chainguard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63209607@N00/3197824231/

I've only seen one 23" frame, though. Replacing a broken spoke isn't too hard, and I'm sure one of us could find a fender bracket.

Last edited by gna; 10-04-11 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 10:45 AM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some photos of the AMF-Hercules I mentioned. It looks like a very clean, well taken care of bike. I'm going to try to see it in person tomorrow or Friday (still waiting on the bike shop to finish the LTD--and I'm considering "compromising" by buying both of them so I'll have an extra bike for when friends visit, if one breaks down, etc.).

https://picasaweb.google.com/randybr...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/randybr...eat=directlink

Last edited by el_spumante; 10-05-11 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-05-11, 02:14 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Randy, I have to agree wwith the majority; grab the LTD from the bike shop. That being said, that Herc sure does look to be in pretty nice shape.

As far as buying both, who ever heard of anyone having more than one 3 speed?? Just hard to imagine that. Oh what the Hell, buy them both and submit to the addiction.
Old 10-05-11, 02:22 PM
Super.bee

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aberdale?

Hi everyone, thanks for the great thread. I have been reading it just as I began riding a recently done 3 speed project, and enjoying both.

No pictures that I can share yet due to autumn's early sunsets, but I wonder if anyone has any info on Aberdale cycles of London. Looks like they were absorbed into BCC/TI in 1958 or so, along with Brampton if this is reliable (https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Tube_Investments). I also read somewhere their B'ham plant closed in 1961 (post-acquisition?).

I have an Aberdale with Brampton 3 speed hub (missing lubricator, unknown type) and "Speedy Switcher" trigger shifter. Fork is, unfortunately, bent. Bike has the taller, older looking version of the hockey stick chainguard with flowing gold script "The Aberdale", wheels 32 and 40, Dunlop rims. Missing its grips, saddle and post when found in a scrap pile. I am thinking mid 1950s?

Thanks again and hope to have some photos to you by week's end!
Old 10-05-11, 02:37 PM
el_spumante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbalke
Randy, I have to agree wwith the majority; grab the LTD from the bike shop. That being said, that Herc sure does look to be in pretty nice shape.

As far as buying both, who ever heard of anyone having more than one 3 speed?? Just hard to imagine that. Oh what the Hell, buy them both and submit to the addiction.
Ha! Yeah, who in their right mind would have two (or, say, five, six...) 3 speeds?!

As soon as I have one (or two!), I'll post up some photos (not that folks here haven't seen plenty of these bikes before).

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-07-11, 11:40 AM
Super.bee

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aberdale! 1950-something?

Hello,

I am doing my best to figure out posting of photographs (size, quantity) and ask for your patience. Here are some shots that I hope you enjoy. I certainly welcome any feedback on how I put this message and images together.

I am really enjoying the labels, like "featherweight" and "Bonderized", and that gold script. Also interesting to me are the brakes. The front has a part that wraps around the fork. The rear has tabs that seem like they belong on the front to keep the caliper from knuckling under the fork. Maybe I am misunderstanding. Anyway, I'm trying to get in touch with another Aberdale owner and will share any information they can give me.

Thoughts on this bike's history or future? My plan is to get it riding, finding a new post, saddle, and grips. As for the fork my thoughts are to substitute another and put the old one on a shelf, or perhaps to straighten, if this bike is less common. If I straighten it could a framebuilder reinforce it somehow?

As you can see the bike is in pretty rough shape. In any case, hope this is an interesting addition to the thread and thanks!

EDIT: Ah, I get the brakes now. Why don't we see this on more caliper brakes, especially longer-reach?
Attached Images
100_8018.jpg (56.5 KB, 115 views)
100_8009.jpg (45.7 KB, 115 views)
100_8012.jpg (49.1 KB, 110 views)
100_8014.jpg (41.6 KB, 104 views)
100_8006.jpg (47.2 KB, 118 views)
100_8013.jpg (57.3 KB, 103 views)
100_8005.jpg (68.1 KB, 110 views)
100_8019.jpg (54.2 KB, 102 views)
100_8007.jpg (63.7 KB, 111 views)
100_8015.jpg (50.0 KB, 91 views)
100_8010.jpg (60.5 KB, 95 views)
100_8020.jpg (55.3 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Super.bee; 10-07-11 at 12:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.