Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Calling All Space Horse Owners

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Calling All Space Horse Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 12:54 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I'm a Cross-Check owner/rider, and while I don't use it for commuting, I could, easily. I did get it to be able to do some light touring in the future though. I love the bike. It's heavy, yes, but it's still pretty fun to ride, and is quite comfy. My LBS also sells All-City bikes, and I did have my eye on the Space Horse, but it was like $300+ more and I couldn't put that much into it. This year's CC has upgraded FD (tiagra from deore), but it lost the canti brakes. The bar-end shifters are different as well it looks like, and also, at least on the surly site, they are putting 700x41 tires on it.
You'll probably want to change the handlebars, but it's a matter of taste. I didn't care for the shape, the reach, and the flare of the salsa bell-lap bars. I put on a FSA compact bar that was also more narrow to fit me.
Old 03-06-15, 04:29 PM
jralbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Specialized Tricross Elite Disc to cover almost exactly the use case you describe, and it's performing admirably.
Old 03-06-15, 06:54 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This is all great information. Weather permitting, I hope to test ride some bikes tomorrow!
Old 03-06-15, 07:41 PM
t x

Bikes: Windsor The Hour Plus, 2014 Novara Verita, Windsor Oxford

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekCommuter
Perhaps some more information would be helpful. My wife and I are looking for our first bikes with drops. We currently have hybrids, which seems to be where most people start. We would like to work up to some centuries and have several organized rides under our belts. I would also be using this bike as a fair weather commuter.

Here is the list of bikes we are considering:

Space Horse
Cross Check
Crossrip

I guess what I am looking for is input from owners of these various models. Are you pleased with your purchase? Any recommendations for someone buying their first road/cross bike? Obviously I will test ride all of the once the weather breaks.

Thanks!
You may wanna add the Bianchi Strada to your radar, it looks like it may suit you.
Old 03-06-15, 08:07 PM
TrekCommuter

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by t x
You may wanna add the Bianchi Strada to your radar, it looks like it may suit you.
I have thought about the Bianchis, the issue is no one seems to stock them locally. I could order one, but I'd really like to test ride before taking that step. The Strada, Lupo and Volpe all look like great bikes.
Old 03-06-15, 10:05 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by jralbert
I've been using a Specialized Tricross Elite Disc to cover almost exactly the use case you describe, and it's performing admirably.
My wife also had a tricross but last year was the last year they made them. You'll have to find an older one new if possible. She loves hers and it does nice
Old 03-07-15, 04:23 PM
BensonFlyer

Bikes: 1991 Trek 2300, 1993 Trek 930, 2014 All-City Space Horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I have been researching the All City Space Hore as a fair weather commuter, road bike and light tourer. I would welcome owner feedback on this bike.

I checked one out in person the other day and it seemed like a great bike. Info on this bike is not as readily available as with Surly's Cross Check, which I have also considered.

Any owner related observations would be much appreciated!
TrekCommuter-

I JUST finished my Space Horse build this week and let me tell you I could not be more happy! The frame is AMAZING and being steel it is very very nice on the road, dirt, grass, whatever. You can do ANYTHING with this bike. Check out my friend Jo's Space Horse build here.

Here is another adventure type build to check out.

I would strongly suggest this bike at stock level or a custom build or a combination of both. It's plug and play ready or perfect straight out of the box!

Here is a picture of my bike. Of you would like I can give you a run down on parts.

I hope this helps!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_22882.jpg (99.7 KB, 326 views)
Old 03-07-15, 06:32 PM
TrekCommuter

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BensonFlyer
TrekCommuter-

I JUST finished my Space Horse build this week and let me tell you I could not be more happy! The frame is AMAZING and being steel it is very very nice on the road, dirt, grass, whatever. You can do ANYTHING with this bike. Check out my friend Jo's Space Horse build here.

I would strongly suggest this bike at stock level or a custom build or a combination of both. It's plug and play ready or perfect straight out of the box!

Here is a picture of my bike. Of you would like I can give you a run down on parts.

I hope this helps!!!
@BensonFlyer Thanks for your feedback. Great looking bike!

Today my wife and I test rode the Space Horse, Straggler (no Cross Checks in stock) and the basic Crossrip. Here are my impressions...

Space Horse: Awesome ride and positive shifting. Even with the stock 35c tires, it felt very responsive. Literally the only downside I could see was the price. Especially since we will be buying two bikes. Price $1,499.00

Straggler: Seemed to only be a slight downgrade from the Space Horse, if one would even want to call it a "down grade". Great bike with a comfortable ride. Brifters worked well. 41c tires were interesting. Cross Check is definitely on my short list. Especially with Surly's $150.00 off promotion through April. I had ridden a CC previously and like the bar end shifters. Price for CC with promotion: $1,100.00.

Crossrip: This bike had a nice ride and I found it to be responsive. My major complaint was the shifting. The Claris components just felt awkward. While it was a nice price point, it wasn't worth the expenditure when my 7.2 FX shifts more positively and reliably. Nice bike, but not what I want. This bike gave my wife fits regarding the shifting. Price: $989.00

I guess now it comes down to pricing. I think I will see what my LBS can do. Between the CC and SH, I don'y think we could go wrong.
Old 03-13-15, 07:54 PM
BensonFlyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@BensonFlyer Thanks for your feedback. Great looking bike!

Today my wife and I test rode the Space Horse, Straggler (no Cross Checks in stock) and the basic Crossrip. Here are my impressions...

Space Horse: Awesome ride and positive shifting. Even with the stock 35c tires, it felt very responsive. Literally the only downside I could see was the price. Especially since we will be buying two bikes. Price $1,499.00

Straggler: Seemed to only be a slight downgrade from the Space Horse, if one would even want to call it a "down grade". Great bike with a comfortable ride. Brifters worked well. 41c tires were interesting. Cross Check is definitely on my short list. Especially with Surly's $150.00 off promotion through April. I had ridden a CC previously and like the bar end shifters. Price for CC with promotion: $1,100.00.

Crossrip: This bike had a nice ride and I found it to be responsive. My major complaint was the shifting. The Claris components just felt awkward. While it was a nice price point, it wasn't worth the expenditure when my 7.2 FX shifts more positively and reliably. Nice bike, but not what I want. This bike gave my wife fits regarding the shifting. Price: $989.00

I guess now it comes down to pricing. I think I will see what my LBS can do. Between the CC and SH, I don'y think we could go wrong.
Hey! Did you figure anything out? I'm stoked to hear what you decided!
Old 03-13-15, 07:59 PM
TrekCommuter

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hey! Did you figure anything out? I'm stoked to hear what you decided!
Yes, actually. And it is a somewhat different direction than what I had anticipated. I think tomorrow I am going to order two Bianchi Volpes. My wife was not crazy about the bar end shifters on the Surly and the geometry would be more relaxed on the Volpe vs the CC.

I am very excited and will post pictures once they arrive!
Old 03-13-15, 08:12 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
TrekCommuter-

I hope this helps!!!
Is that a Velo Orange Casey's Crazy Bar? Interested in hearing how you like it, and why you chose it over a standard drop bar. Considering putting one of those on my old Trek 930.
Old 03-13-15, 08:19 PM
BensonFlyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, actually. And it is a somewhat different direction than what I had anticipated. I think tomorrow I am going to order two Bianchi Volpes. My wife was not crazy about the bar end shifters on the Surly and the geometry would be more relaxed on the Volpe vs the CC.

I am very excited and will post pictures once they arrive!
Fantastic! I can't wait to see the new babies!
Old 03-13-15, 08:27 PM
BensonFlyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Is that a Velo Orange Casey's Crazy Bar? Interested in hearing how you like it, and why you chose it over a standard drop bar. Considering putting one of those on my old Trek 930.
Yes they are VO Crazy Bars!

First: Why I chose them over drops. The answer for me was comfort. Sure I could have gone with a nice rando bar and I am sure I would have loved riding the bike that way as well. I was actually looking at the Jones H bar and came across the VO Crazy Bar. I ordered them and when I first held them in my hands at the shop, I instantly fell in love.

Second: How I like them. I have been riding with the bar for 2 weeks now and I could not imagine riding drops on this bike. I have yet to get the "bull horn" portion wrapped (going with leather) and I installed Ergon cork grips and my hands have been thanking me ever since. The Crazy Bar gives you so many position options as well as brake lever/shifter placement options. They do look, well, crazy, but I don't mind the look one bit. I built the Space Horse up as an adventure bike and I think the Crazy Bar fits in just fine!

Oh and funny coincidence, I own a 93 Trek 930 too! I converted it to a single speed townie! I can imagine the Crazy Bar looking sweeeet on your 930!!!
Old 03-14-15, 02:12 PM
TrekCommuter

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I just ordered our first "road" bikes. One 2014 Volpe (wife preferred blue) and a 2015 Volpe (I preferred black). Should have them sometime in the coming week and I will post photos then. Very excited!
Old 03-21-15, 05:58 PM
TrekCommuter

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I have my Bianchi Volpe. Check out the photos...

This is my first road bike and I love it! Rode it home from the shop and it was like butter. The stock seat was actually fairly comfortable, but I think I will put my Brooks saddle on it. I may also get a shorter stem. Other than that, she is perfect. This will also be my first foray into SPD pedals/shoes, hence the SPD/platform pedals.

Thanks for all the insight from everyone and I will do a full review once I have more miles under my belt. Today's maiden voyage was perfect.
Attached Images
Bianchi.jpg (67.9 KB, 303 views)
Bianchi2.jpg (38.4 KB, 280 views)
Bianchi3.jpg (88.2 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-21-15, 08:41 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
AC Space Horse is such a cool bike. Anybody got one built up as a fixed gear commuter?
Old 05-08-17, 09:10 AM
Boehmer

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt144
I have been riding the SH as an everyday commuter for about 8 months, and love it. I had an Allez, and was looking for something more of a commuter bike, that I can still do long rides on. I tried out the Volpe, Masi CX, CC, and LHT, but ultimately decided on the SH. As someone above posted, be careful about the sizing. I nearly ordered the 55, because it was closer to what I normally rode, but then tried the 52 and realized that fit much better.
How's the 52 working out for you? Mind sharing your height/inseam and what you normally ride? Girlfriend is having a debate on sizing for a SH and seeking all opinions. Thanks!
Old 05-08-17, 09:21 AM
Matt144

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boehmer
How's the 52 working out for you? Mind sharing your height/inseam and what you normally ride? Girlfriend is having a debate on sizing for a SH and seeking all opinions. Thanks!
It's working out great still. I've since put on more of an upright stem on, and using 35x700 tires for a comfortable commute. I'm about 5'10', with a 31" inseam. Although, I do find my arms are proportionately shorter than my legs, so I have a hard time finding good fits. I'm still loving the SH as my everyday bike, whether commuting to work, or sticking the little one on the back.
Old 05-08-17, 09:36 AM
Boehmer

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt144
It's working out great still. I've since put on more of an upright stem on, and using 35x700 tires for a comfortable commute. I'm about 5'10', with a 31" inseam. Although, I do find my arms are proportionately shorter than my legs, so I have a hard time finding good fits. I'm still loving the SH as my everyday bike, whether commuting to work, or sticking the little one on the back.
Awesome. Glad you're liking it - such a good looking bike, likely going to pick one up myself. What size stem are you running? How's your standover clearance with a 31" inseam?