Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

2005 Dahon Boardwalk D7 derailleur capacity?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 01-11-20, 08:55 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Jane and I have a pair of low milage 2004 or 2005 Dahon Boardwalk D7s. I've recently acquired a nicer rear wheel for hers, (which has a freewheel) with an 8-9-10 speed freehub. Does anyone know if the derailleur can handle an 11-34t 8 speed cassette?
Old 01-12-20, 07:12 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I've never used Neos. But maybe someone else with experience can answer your question.

A quick Google Search comes up with these sites:
Dahon Neos derailleur
Dahon Neos 2 derailleur

It claims that Old Neos is 30T for 7 index while new Neos is 32T for 8 index.
You'd have to test if your old Neos can travel all the way to the 8th and innermost cog. I assume that moving from 7th to 8th index through the parallelogram of the RD might drop it far enough to get it low enough to fit 32T, but that's only if the RD can move inward that far to the 8th cog.

If you already have a 32T or 24T cassette, then you might as well put it onto the freehub, stick in the wheel, and test the range of motion with the RD.

You'll also have to get an 8 index shifter. Supposedly it has the same cable pull as Shimano shifters.

Google search also comes up with a guy in another thread that says he saw someone stick in a Shimano derailleur into the same position as a Neos derailleur, but you'd have to find out yourself how it was done.
https://www.bikeforums.net/8280314-post6.html

Another option might be to attach a claw derailleur hanger, if you could fit the hanger bolt through the M5 fender mount, although the axle slot of the hanger might not be long enough to reach. If it does fit, one problem is that from the looks of the position of the fender mount to the axle slot, the RD would be tilted forward clockwise quite far.

Another option could be the Problem Solvers universal derailleur hanger, which uses a set screw to prevent the hanger from rotating. However, the description says that since the hanger is thick, it might prevent the RD from moving all the way to the innermost cog. Perhaps you could find a RD for 9 or 10 speed (not RD-4700) for the extra parallelogram movement, together with an 8 speed shifter. Also, it's threaded to take M5 skewer threads, so it won't work with solid axles.
https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...versal_-_21655

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 01-12-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-12-20, 09:58 PM
MnHPVA Guy

I’m a halfway decent framebuilder and machinist, so putting a different derailleur on would be simple. But I like the way the Neos tucks under the chainstay.
Old 01-13-20, 10:13 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 342 Posts
Put it on and try it. Look to see if the derailleur rubs up against or interferes with the 34t gear. This is easiest to do with the bike on a workshop stand or with someone holding up the rear wheel as you gingerly try it.
Old 01-13-20, 11:07 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
I run a 34t with my Neos, but I'm using friction shifting. I'm not sure how well it would index, but it works OK in friction.
Old 01-15-20, 07:06 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by seat_boy
I run a 34t with my Neos, but I'm using friction shifting. I'm not sure how well it would index, but it works OK in friction.
That's just what I wanted to hear, thank you.
Old 01-15-20, 08:49 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
There are also these adapter hangers if you want to switch to a shimano RD
aliexpress.com/item/1981991762.html

aliexpress.com/item/32879334227.html