Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Little 500 Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 08:50 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Little 500 Today

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2022...w-for-race-day

My wife went to IU and they called them Stonys not Cutters like in the movie Breaking Away. My wife graduated from high school in Bloomington also, and never heard Cutter ever used. When we watch the movie she kinda goes spastic over the use of Cutters
Old 04-23-22, 09:44 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
There was a good discussion on last year's Little 500 and also a live feed. Bloomington BF member Mad Honk started this post of the later starting (May) 2021 Little 500

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/12313...00-2021-a.html
Old 04-23-22, 06:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The guys that cut limestone in Monroe county and thereabouts were stonecutters, so calling them cutters made sense if stonies or stoners had been ruled out by the film makers. I spent a couple of years at IU and then came back to Bloomington a bit later for a few years, including when the film was shot. Had only heard ‘stonies’ used in reference to some locals. I took up cycling while living there - wonderful area for cycling - and was very interested in Breaking Away. Got married and moved to Atlanta for 8 years. The Breaking Away TV show was shot in North Georgia - hilarious to see shots of kudzu in some of the shows scenes!
Old 04-23-22, 07:24 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I’m from Lafayette (Boiler Up!) but
love riding the Hilly Hundred in and around the Bloomington area.

Dan
Old 04-23-22, 07:35 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Further wife comment is she went to high school with the 'stonys' and they were depicted in the movie correctly. Basically the salt of the earth. They even called themselves stonys and when the movie came out the stony folks said: What is going on, we are not cutters. They did not take it well. It is like calling a redneck a bubba.
Likes For themp:
Old 04-23-22, 09:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
Further wife comment is she went to high school with the 'stonys' and they were depicted in the movie correctly. Basically the salt of the earth. They even called themselves stonys and when the movie came out the stony folks said: What is going on, we are not cutters. They did not take it well. It is like calling a redneck a bubba.
Still a good movie though even if not cutters it is an important piece of cycling history. It is cool to here someone who was there. I think Stonys seems like a good nickname.
Old 04-25-22, 12:49 PM
Lostin76

Bikes: 1977 Colnago Mexico, 1979 Ciocc San Cristobol, 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
My wife and I both went to IU Bloomington. Great memories from there of the Little 500 and basketball games. I’m still a huge IU basketball fan (hence my username).

We’ve lived in NYC for the last 15 years, and one of the coolest Little-500 memories actually happened here in Bryant Park. In the summers they have movies on a big screen outdoor in Bryant Park. It gets insanely crowded with people on blankets and partying.

Breaking Away was showing several years ago and we HAD to go see it. Was pretty great at the end of the movie to have the entire park cheering and singing along to the IU fight song.
Old 04-25-22, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Dennis Christopher (nee Carrelli) is a South Philly boy!